Notices

Goldiewang's K20A Swapped TR3030R "VelociRaptor" Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Goldiewang's K20A Swapped TR3030R "VelociRaptor" Project Build

Honestly that thing is perfect for a K series in your power level. Always love seeing turbos sized to drive with and not just to hit some dumb peak number.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You aren't kidding a bit. I swear when I get it to hook I think its going to be a street monster!
Old 12-14-2017, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking power band!!!! Definitely going to be a fun car!!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man!

We just got the warm start tuning to be correct. Gonna be fun not having to keep it running when I go places lol.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Went to a semi local 1/8th mile drag strip last night and put the slicks on the car. My setup is lenso 7.5x13 inch wheels with M&H 23x8x13 slicks. I went with 23's because I originally thought I would make a little more power and bought DSS 475whp axles that were rated on 24.5 tires. Next set of slicks will be 24.5". They don't have a timing system at English Mountain Raceway and I'm not sure if the finish line is accurately an 1/8th mile but according to my speedo I was 110-115mph at the finish. My buddy claimed we seen 120 on a really fast pass when we got out of the hole really well but that was from the passenger seat and I didn't look at the speedo. My speedo is off by 6 mph at 70mph so I think 100mph is a safe bet at that track. the temperature was 30 degrees out and the track wasn't prepped very well, literally one of their workers went down track on an atv and threw clumps of dirt everywhere. I pulled to the line and was like man can you guys clean that, and they did lol.

The reason I went out is I didn't know how the slicks would act and wanted to find out. Considering the weather and track conditions it felt great. I only got down to 13psi because I have lenso wheels and was scared of rolling a bead off the wheel. The burnout was something else, the car will not sit still at all and it let me know right then and there that I should have gotten an alignment first. It would pull left aggressively during the burnout. When I launched I noticed that a short 2step did way better. If the timing wasn't good and I rode the 2step longer I just blew the tires off in first. Other wise I could feather first gear, mostly WOT 2nd and then WOT 3rd with the boost controller switched flipped for a max 17psi. I was low in 4th gear passing the finish line so I wonder if I will be going 5th gear on the quarter but hey its just a fun street car that will see the strip during season, not so much a competitive committed drag car.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the power! 447@14psi is awesome. That turbo really works great on a k20.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, that moved fast since the last time we spoke!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D-Rob
Holy crap, that moved fast since the last time we spoke!
Yeah its safe to say I became very inspired to finish the car!
Old 02-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well update time! When JT rebuilt my transmission he mentioned the driver side axle wouldn't go into the trans all the way. I checked it out and it wasn't leaking so we agreed that the axle was fine and most likely just looked odd with the wavetrac lsd. So here I am about 300 miles on the build and the car becomes stuck in 5th gear. It had been whining a lil but I honestly thought that was from the rebuild with carbon synchros and a different lsd. I limped it home in 5th gear and jacked the car up to drain the trans oil. All of 15 ounces may have drained out. This made me think I had a leak obviously lol. When I checked the driveway where my car stays there was no stain on the drive way at all. Remembering the axle issue I started looking at the car's body around that axle and it was covered in oil and dirt that was real nasty which made me think it had been leaking around the axle when I was driving but not when the car wasn't in motion. I refilled the transmission to the proper lever and then with it on jack stands I let it run in 5th gear. oil would very slightly come out around the axle seal. I stopped the engine and then the axle stopped leaking. It confirmed what I had thought was my problem but how did it not leak all over the dyno unless it became an issue later. When I inspected the axle I found that the larger area on the axle that seals was only up against the transmission. Maybe it popped out far enough to leak idk but I was able to gently tap it into the transmission about 1/2 " farther. I gave JT a call and let him know what all had happened, he was blown away. When I sent photos he said he would help with the repairs. So at this point if I decide to rebuild it he is doing labor free of charge and I am pretty sure he can get me better prices on the parts involved.

But I do still have a whole wagovan worth of parts to do rt4wd in my already Kswapped turbo hatchback so decisions decisions. I am currently studying 93egboosted's awd build and don't know about the 02 crv trans final drive in comparison to a wagovan's final drive and fear it will bind or burn up the viscous coupler. Also another note is obviously issues with strength. My car isn't the highest hp civic to have an awd setup like this but it does come on quick so I would hate to do all this and be breaking parts all the time.

I took
Old 02-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

An awd conversion is very intriguing! I've been kinda looking at this place since I don't have any fabrication skills at all.
https://automotiveknd.com/t/awd-conversion-systems
Old 02-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Goldie - what a bummer about the axle. Hopefully there isn't any major damage to the transmission.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
An awd conversion is very intriguing! I've been kinda looking at this place since I don't have any fabrication skills at all.
https://automotiveknd.com/t/awd-conversion-systems
Scott, thank you for the link but I would be very careful with them. I cant find any reviews on them as well as any description as to what their conversion requires. Obviously a homebrewed conversion is full of fab work but from the pictures I have seen on their site it still has a great deal of fab work to be done. It looks like the entire bracing system for the lower control arms has to be removed with their kit. I'm will the other guys on here when I say I am waiting for someone to try it.

Originally Posted by liam821
Goldie - what a bummer about the axle. Hopefully there isn't any major damage to the transmission.
Yea unfortunately it was a costly mistake to have. At this point I am looking at maybe 2.5k for a full out helical cut gear set that can take a beating, along with all the things that need replaced from running it dry. Or probably around the same price to do an awd setup. It truly has been a challenge just deciding which way to go with it. If I were to go awd, JT is promising me he can fab up an lsd to work with the crv transmission so that's a plus.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldieWang
Scott, thank you for the link but I would be very careful with them. I cant find any reviews on them as well as any description as to what their conversion requires. Obviously a homebrewed conversion is full of fab work but from the pictures I have seen on their site it still has a great deal of fab work to be done. It looks like the entire bracing system for the lower control arms has to be removed with their kit. I'm will the other guys on here when I say I am waiting for someone to try it.

Yea unfortunately it was a costly mistake to have. At this point I am looking at maybe 2.5k for a full out helical cut gear set that can take a beating, along with all the things that need replaced from running it dry. Or probably around the same price to do an awd setup. It truly has been a challenge just deciding which way to go with it. If I were to go awd, JT is promising me he can fab up an lsd to work with the crv transmission so that's a plus.
Thanks! I've got a ways to go before I'm in a position to do anything like this, so when the time comes maybe I'll either have access to someone that knows how to do the fab work or a similar kit will be tested and proven. Either way it's not a cheap conversion.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Either way it's not a cheap conversion.
I cannot agree more! I think I am going to change my license plate to "Moneypit" HA HA
Old 02-19-2018, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just sourced a CRV trans with 127k miles on it. Its gonna be an all day adventure to go get it but it has a 30 day warranty and is only gonna run me 600 bucks. May just go pick it up Friday.

Updates to come!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Going AWD?!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dear god CRV parts are dirty cheap here. If your paying 600 for a trans i really wannaq try awd some time very soon.
I can get trans, all 4 axles, rear diff, center axle and rear hubs with trailing arms for like 800 euros
EDIT: Im talking about B series crv parts
Old 02-20-2018, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Going AWD?!
To be honest its been on my mind for quite a while. I've had the wagovan parts for a couple years now and since my trans is ruined and I need a trans, why not? Im still in the phase of weighing out the pro's and con's though so I don't want to say its a 100% decided thing.

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Dear god CRV parts are dirty cheap here. If your paying 600 for a trans i really wannaq try awd some time very soon.
I can get trans, all 4 axles, rear diff, center axle and rear hubs with trailing arms for like 800 euros
EDIT: Im talking about B series crv parts
600 is a cheap price around here especially for one with that low of miles. But its a 5.5 hour drive each way.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So yesterday I spoke to the junk yard about the 600 dollar transmission. He said he would take a rsx transmission in return as the core charge. I think a core charge in a junk yard is highway robbery but, I went with it and asked for all the info on it. he said it had 127k miles. I typically call back another day and ask the same questions over to make sure things line up as I have really been screwed at junk yards before.

I called today and asked the same questions to a different guy, he stated the mileage wasn't listed and was probably a digital dash reading that wouldn't work.

2 problems here:

1. I don't know if the 02-2011 crv dash has a digital mileage reading.
2. The first guy yesterday told me it had 127k miles on it.

I pointed out that I had been told yesterday it has 127k miles and he said that must have been the manager and he has access to more information. I reminded him that he said it wasn't readable. I asked to get some pictures of the trans and he said he would take some and send to my email. At the end of the conversation he said oh hey I can see it now its in a side note and says 127k miles. That bothers me because I had already told him what the miles were stated as of yesterday. I'm having my doubts now as most on car-part's website are right at 200k miles and its a long haul to pick this one up. I will review the pics and if its really nice and clean without oil stains all over it or leaking seals then I may bite the bullet. Its in Georgia so maybe its gonna be a clean looking trans.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Core charge for a $600 junkyard transmission is highway robbery.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
You should not have to core charge anything. You got ripped off, homie
Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Originally Posted by TheShodan
You should not have to core charge anything. You got ripped off, homie
Yes that is highway robbery and I would be getting ripped off but I haven't purchased it. I just spoke with the owner concerning that issue with the mileage and he was hot about it and wanted to know who had said that. He also had 4 different transmissions for sale, so the other guy may have been giving me incorrect info pertaining to another trans. But long story short the owner is waving the core charge for my inconvenience.

I still think the core charge is a giant scam that is ever growing. This is the second junk yard to tell me I have to turn in a core. WTF man its a dang junk yard.....
Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes that is highway robbery and I would be getting ripped off but I haven't purchased it. I just spoke with the owner concerning that issue with the mileage and he was hot about it and wanted to know who had said that. He also had 4 different transmissions for sale, so the other guy may have been giving me incorrect info pertaining to another trans. But long story short the owner is waving the core charge for my inconvenience.

I still think the core charge is a giant scam that is ever growing. This is the second junk yard to tell me I have to turn in a core. WTF man its a dang junk yard.....
That is because it's a Honda transmission. One of the most valuable ones around.

Just fix your current transmission, upgrade as needed. Don't fall for anymore shenanigans. Don't distract yourself, you can always do it later.

Last edited by TheShodan; 02-20-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you have your head in the right place here, I have decided not to do it and just rebuild mine. I looked the vin up along with a local Honda dealer, turns out its originally a jdm CR-V. I have no idea what would and wouldn't work correctly on it, and its almost 6 hours away. I'm so glad I do my research before making a purchase.

To be continued.....
Old 02-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm so glad I do my research before making a purchase.
Damn straight. It amazes me that some people are so lazy/shortsighted they won't look up anything about a product or service before just throwing cash at it. There's really no excuse either since it takes 2 minutes to do a couple Google searches.

Quick Reply: Goldiewang's K20A Swapped TR3030R "VelociRaptor" Project Build