Notices

Golden Eagle or Edelbrock Victor X

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golden Eagle or Edelbrock Victor X

hey guys looking for some personal opinions.

I have a build in process of now I am brainstorming for power goals .
https://honda-tech.com/appearance-bu...r-em1-3225288/

i just recently picked up a GE intake manifold for cheap but i already have a brand new Victor x.

i know they are both great manifolds from what i read but does any opinions on witch one i should use ? i pretty certain the GE is a little bit on the higher end but looking for advice.
please if you have some thing negative to say just move to another thread thanks!
i know both with meet my power goals hell the oem will get me up there.

00 EM1
power goals e.c.t. 450-600ish (not a DD just a toy)
b18c GE sleeved
ID 1300 dual walbros pump gas
ITR cams
S300 4 bar
top mount 4" dp
precision 6262bb
ect ect

looking for opinions. does the GE half all the oem sensor hook ups or require anything that i haven't read.

thanks any Happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Golden Eagle or Edelbrock Victor X

sell me the GE for what you paid for it. I don't have a comparison I like GE. I've made over 600 with a JG ed
Old 11-27-2014, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rudebwoy
sell me the GE for what you paid for it. I don't have a comparison I like GE. I've made over 600 with a JG ed
haha make an offer
Old 11-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultra Race.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The GE is a little big in terms of plenum volume. Also the design is fairly old, there are much better designs out there.

The edelbrock manifold works well but it's short runners gear it more towards high rpm power. You'll find it lacking in midrange power and torque compared to other manifolds.

The Skunk2 ultra or Skunk2 ultra street manifold would probably work best.

The street manifold has a fixed slightly smaller plenum volume and longer runners with a slightly smaller diameter over the ultra. This would work well to maintain some midrange torque and power, especially if it's a street car.

The ultra starts with I believe a 4.5l plenum volume and it can be enlarged through use of plenum spacers. The runners are shorter and have a larger diameter over the street version, again for top end power production.

Both (iirc) have proper velocity stacks inside the plenum on each runner. The 2 manifolds use different velocity stack designs though, based off plenum size, runner length and diameter, as well as the rpm range it's designed for.

Both manifold runners have plenty of material for porting and polishing. 4piston has a good CNC porting routine that's shown good gains.

The only drawback is the Skunk2 manifolds aren't the cheapest options but they will work better than the GE manifold for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
The GE is a little big in terms of plenum volume. Also the design is fairly old, there are much better designs out there.

The edelbrock manifold works well but it's short runners gear it more towards high rpm power. You'll find it lacking in midrange power and torque compared to other manifolds.

The Skunk2 ultra or Skunk2 ultra street manifold would probably work best.

The street manifold has a fixed slightly smaller plenum volume and longer runners with a slightly smaller diameter over the ultra. This would work well to maintain some midrange torque and power, especially if it's a street car.

The ultra starts with I believe a 4.5l plenum volume and it can be enlarged through use of plenum spacers. The runners are shorter and have a larger diameter over the street version, again for top end power production.

Both (iirc) have proper velocity stacks inside the plenum on each runner. The 2 manifolds use different velocity stack designs though, based off plenum size, runner length and diameter, as well as the rpm range it's designed for.

Both manifold runners have plenty of material for porting and polishing. 4piston has a good CNC porting routine that's shown good gains.

The only drawback is the Skunk2 manifolds aren't the cheapest options but they will work better than the GE manifold for sure.

WoW thats great info ive been reading up on what you have posted for a while (pretty impressive)

Want boost with what you stated thinking of going with the SK2 ultra would be best option.
but would you agree with my power goals is it that much of a difference?
Old 11-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

whats the plenum size on the victorX offhand?

i use the victorX and it certainly is a 7000+ rpm manifold i can attest to that
Old 11-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ultra Race starts with 3.5L
Old 11-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ironically enough the guy i bought the manifold off of said he bought SK2 UR.
for my power goals there is no reason to buy that manifold.
i rather keep the GE and spend money in other parts of the build
Old 11-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea the edelbrock is definitely all top end. Someone did a dyno comparison of the victor x vs the Skunk2 pro (itr clone with a few tweaks basically) and the Skunk2 pro made more power and torque everywhere except over about 6800-7000.

The GE manifold was designed for drag racers where it's all about top end power production. It has a bigger plenum than the victor x and its runner length is IIRC even shorter than the victor x (mainly due to firewall clearance with the huge plenum) so it should have an even bigger midrange power/torque loss.

What are you using the car for? Street toy, drag car, mountain run/auto x, or road course track days or some combination? Until we know that we can't specifically say which is best.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cleansi

i know both with meet my power goals hell the oem will get me up there.

00 EM1
power goals e.c.t. 450-600ish (not a DD just a toy)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jake Blackman when 8's on a victor x.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you talked to your tuner by chance? I see its Chris Harris. Ask him which he'd prefer to see on your build.

I like the GE manifold, is a nice piece, it really is. But Tapered runners, Properly plenum design, its very hard to beat. Out the Box i can almost guarantee that the ultra will probably beat anything hands down, and then that still leaves adjustable plenum volume up to another 2 Liters. Not to mention the power guys are seeing when Ported by 4Piston or Mission critical... I've seen another 15whp just from porting out the manifold.

The Ultra Race, is by far, right now, the BEST manifold out, shelf wise for almost anything. I'd put it up against anything custom and I'd bet you out the box it'd make more power..

I'd really like to see a Ported Ultra vs ProJAY intake..those are probably the two best manifolds on the market, right now.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DDTECH
Have you talked to your tuner by chance? I see its Chris Harris. Ask him which he'd prefer to see on your build.

I like the GE manifold, is a nice piece, it really is. But Tapered runners, Properly plenum design, its very hard to beat. Out the Box i can almost guarantee that the ultra will probably beat anything hands down, and then that still leaves adjustable plenum volume up to another 2 Liters. Not to mention the power guys are seeing when Ported by 4Piston or Mission critical... I've seen another 15whp just from porting out the manifold.

The Ultra Race, is by far, right now, the BEST manifold out, shelf wise for almost anything. I'd put it up against anything custom and I'd bet you out the box it'd make more power..

I'd really like to see a Ported Ultra vs ProJAY intake..those are probably the two best manifolds on the market, right now.

thanks for your advice hopefully he chimes in consider i just spent a thousand bucks on Xenocron's black friday deal lol.

My question now would be is there that much of a difference for my specific power goals?
I understand it is a better manifold but i guess i would have ask my self is it worth the hassle to sell the 2 then buy that one my wife only lets me spend a certain percentage of our money on parts, liquor, and, strippers.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i talked to chris
Think i am going to sell both and go with the ultra race.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does any one know the dis/advantages between the race and street SK2 manifold ?
the car is not a daily driven
Old 12-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Street would be better suited to a small all motor engine 1.8 to mild 2.0, Race is big power all motor and forced induction. Like DDTECH posted it's probably the best on the market, price is high but you get what you pay for.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Well are trade offs with a big plenum on a street car