Notices

going turbo this winter. help me out with some minor details.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going turbo this winter. help me out with some minor details.

ok, so i have a b16a3 in a del sol.., got some miles on it ~100k. has a gasket rebuild kit installed. (whoop de do ) even compression across the board, doesnt burn any fluids... its gonna be daily driven, so i want to stay reliable.

im thinking around 6psi would do me nicely... only looking for around 225whp. low 14's would keep me happy.

i know it may seem like a silly question, but how bad are the ss-autochrome kits nowadays?
they have the new ram-horn manifold... looks 'decent'
how do their turbos hold up?
because for the price, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...es_IT that kit doesnt look too bad.. has nearly everything..

im not looking to go for some crazy high hp setup... so is it that bad?

last question. whats the best size turbo. (ha, so ******* broad, i know you'll all yell at me)
Old 11-16-2005, 12:15 AM

looks decent...wait til ur turbo and wastegate fall off.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: (B18 CYA)

buy everything separate, keep ckecking ebay for good deals. You can get decent intercoolers, a BOV, WG... on ebay, but not from SSAC or OBX. Try to find a used log manifold or something on H-T classifieds, and I would buy a turbo new, phoenixturbo.com has nice new garrett turbos for like $600. Do yourself a favor and dont buy any turbo kit from ebay. Unless its a used full-race kit or something great like that, which you wont find. If you want it to run good for daily driving you will want to do it right the first time, so get Hondata or at least Uberdata or something- you wont stay happy with it until you do, trust me, I put it off for waaaay to long.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: (TurboCoop)

oo man, dont do it... just do a lil search under forced induction and type in ssac or ssauto.... you will get numerous threads about their shitty parts.... i for one got suckerred into getting one a while back... worst service ever... and i had to call my cc company to get my money back cuz they were tryin to dick me... little do they know, i gave them the dick in the mouth hahaha. with all that said... nahhh mannn ssauto is ****... their parts might look decent but thats all its good for, looking.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know the manifolds are crap. i can reweld the seams.. but how are the turbos? decent or no?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jbell)

those turbos are made of crap basically, the compressor is 2 bonded pieces of cast, a member on here, his cracked right in half! POS dont buy that **** man, go for garrett, greddy etc... or just buy a blown turbo for 100 bucks, send it out to have rebuilt and save money... my $0.2. Good luck with everything!

-Jon
Old 11-17-2005, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: going turbo this winter. help me out with some minor details. (jbell)

my b16a3 del sol was done by http://www.turboelements.com check them out. here's a link to my car https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1413480, i adding a few more things to the car so no dyno yet, but soon.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: (jbell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know the manifolds are crap. i can reweld the seams.. but how are the turbos? decent or no?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh even if u reweld the seams, it will crack again. i rewelded mine about 4 times within one month... little hairline cracks keep popping up.. not to mention that my wastegate was hanging by the vacuum line the first time it cracked... and as for the turbos... yehh there was a guy on here that had a ssauto turbo crack straight in half on him... he siad it looked like it was held together by glue or something lol... with that said... u still wanna buy from those guys? if i were u tho, and your on a budget, get a rebuilt garrett. much safer in my perspective than getting any product from ssauto. those guys are ******** really
Old 11-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bnut510)

then whats the part list and estimated price for a home brewed kit?