Notices

Going to build a turbo setup for the 1st time. Got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to build a turbo setup for the 1st time. Got some questions.

Ok, i've decided i'm going to piece together a kit and turbo the d16y7 in my 96 Hatch. I have never done this before, but I have friends with lots of experience doing this kinda stuff so were going to be working on this over the next couple weeks.

Anyways, basically, i'm looking at this kit, for the basics, the manifold, turbo, flanges, etc. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33742

This is what i've picked up so far: a 31x6x2.75 intercooler, and a Walbro 255 lph high pressure fuel pump. Was planning on using those with that kit on the ebay link i posted above. My friend said we'll run a 12.1 fmu, i'm not really sure about all the fuel stuff, i'm a newb when it comes to this.

Basically I have a few questions, what all am I going to need to do for fuel delivery, i've already got the fuel pump. Will the stock injectors be able to handle it? Also, what would I need for tuning or just managment, do I need to get like an safc or would somethin like hondata or uberdata be required to get this setup to run correctly on my car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Depending on what you want theres diff ways to go.

If you want a decent kit that is reliable and drivable. Thats easy. Pick up a greddy blue box for management and run stock injectors.
Cant get any simpler than that.

If you plan on more, look into uberdata, you might have a friend who can tune for you.

Do not buy ebay special turbo kits. The manifolds USUALLY crack. And it been said that the turbos seize pretty quickly.

Homemadeturbo.com is the way to go.

Check it out.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Dr. D-Series)

yea, steer clear of the ssac/xs power stuff. cheap quality, poorly built. there are a few recent threads, read them
Old 12-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, steer clear of the ssac/xs power stuff. cheap quality, poorly built. there are a few recent threads, read them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, poor poor quality.

How much are you willing to spend? I would get a used drag/revhard cast mani over a SSAC any day.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: (kabaroo)

I'm looking to spend under a grand for the turbo setup, i already have the intercooler & fuel pump. I really would like to keep it as cheap as possible, but I don't want to skimp on shitty parts. Used greddy kits go for a little over a grand, but i'm thinkin I should be able to piece one together. Just not sure what all i'd need.

Is there like a list or can someone kinda give me like a brief list of parts i'll need. I know i'll need the manifold, turbo, downpipe, wastegate, bov, charge pipes. And like I said I already got the intercooler & fuel pump.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
D-t
Trial User

Default Re: (JMod)

I wouldn't skimp on the fuel setup of anything.

Ditch the fmu and get Uber, just convert over to OBD1, all you need is a conversion harness and an OBD1 ecu. Chip it, and even if you run a basemap it wil be 50 times safer than the fmu. It will be just a little more than the fmu, but wayy more safe.

You'll need oil lines so you can feed oil to the turbo, and dump it back in the oil pan, I suggest a kit. Stealthmodeperformance.com has them or tuner toys. A dump tube if you are running external wastegate, and some bigger injectors.

The rest is all prettty much misc. stuff like vacuum line, and couplers/clamps for the charge piping. And some gauges. The least you will need is a boost gauge to monitor your boost.

I really do suggest you go with Uber. It might be a little more expensive than just going with an fmu and calling it a day, but you will be set. Just get an OBd1 ecu with a ZIF socket, add a datalogging cable if you want and that's it. Someone could burn you a basemap until you get tuned
Old 12-30-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Re: (D-t)

http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 12-30-2004, 11:51 AM
D-t
Trial User

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://www.homemadeturbo.com</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-30-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.homemadeturbo.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

One more of those