Notices

Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (stick)

Damn I must have missed the part where he stated there was a $ tree in his back yard . . . why blow the money on the turbo when his will do fine? Bump
Old 04-19-2004, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (AVATAR)

What a $$ tree? Never seen one of those

This last phase I'll probably Keep simple and cheap,

I wish I could just pick up a spare Ls block, b16 head, and Maybe...Maybe do Forged Pistons/Rods just piecing stuff together, over the next few months, and try to finish it around August. Only thing that holds me back is me and my girlfriend are planning on buying a house in the next year or so I dont want to dump another 2-3 k into this car.
What I may do is just Do the Ls Vtec, leave it stock, Retune, same turbo(sc34), and aim for 325, and leave it at that

After all the elbow grease I put into polishing the Turbo last week, I think im just gonna stick with the sc34 .
Old 04-19-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (quikB18B)

lsvtec, get some sleeves bore it to a 84mm and make it a 2.0 liter
Old 04-19-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (SiBirdie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiBirdie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lsvtec, get some sleeves bore it to a 84mm and make it a 2.0 liter </TD></TR></TABLE>
i guess you haven't read the entire thread iggy you'll be happy with 325!!
Old 04-19-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (SiBirdie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiBirdie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lsvtec, get some sleeves bore it to a 84mm and make it a 2.0 liter </TD></TR></TABLE>

Would if I could but my goals dont require the use of sleeves, and also I wouldn't sleeve it unless I was going for some serious power, but thats not the case.

All I want to do is run mid-low 12's easily, Trap 115-117, and beat the **** out of most of the local domestics.

Pistons/Rods is as far as I'd want to go with this car.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (quikB18B)

A friend of mine just had groovey tunes tune his LS/VTEC/Turbo setup to 341whp. Built internals minus sleeves. T3/T4 60-1 13psi
Old 04-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, heres my break down iggy.

say you stick w/ LS:

you do pistons/rods and freshin up the bottem end.. (Eagle rods/Cp Pistons 750$ + machine work/intstall/honda parts set aside another 500$ just to be safe)

sell your SC34 and upgrade to an SC61. (lets say you need 250$ to cover the difference)

factor in some money for dyno time and tuning and you are looking at about 1750$ to go to the next stage on your car.. Very simple too, just a swap of the motor and re-tune.

Your tranny, your clutch, your injectors, your ECU, your whole combination will all work very well together for 350-400whp and 11 sec passes.

Now lets say you go LSvtec:

to make the same power u r still gonna need to build the bottem end. so no matter what ur spending money on the LS bottem end.. then your going to need a vtec head(300$ for that b16), vtec distributor(125$), vtec ecu and rechipping(150$-300$ depending which ecu u choose).. your gonna need to add sensors to your wiring harness also.. your still gonna have to re-tune, your still gonna upgrade the turbo.. Your gonna need to get a new tranny to resize the gears for your new rev limit.. Lets say you sell ur LS tranny for 450 and you buy a gsr/b16 for 750.. So we are lookin at another 1k extra to do it LSvtec but there is definitly alot more power potential if you go down this road. you'll make the same power w/ out even trying.

its up to you.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (DIRep972)

Why would he need to sell his turbo, his should be perfectly fine for his goals . . .
Old 04-19-2004, 01:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would if I could but my goals dont require the use of sleeves, and also I wouldn't sleeve it unless I was going for some serious power, but thats not the case.

All I want to do is run mid-low 12's easily, Trap 115-117, and beat the **** out of most of the local domestics.

Pistons/Rods is as far as I'd want to go with this car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

then what art say, stick with ls and beef up the buttom end and get the sc61. Call it a day after that
Old 04-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (DIRep972)

goodluck iggy on your next step, whatever that might be
Old 04-19-2004, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the comparison Chris, you do bring up a good point though in regards to the Tranny. If I was to go LS Vtec, I would want to compliment that motor with a short Tranny(Gsr), which adds in more $$ to the equation. I wouldnt mind one now, with the Ls setup, but it's "do-able" given the Rev limiter.

Maybe Alicia Will sponsor me and I then $$ wouldn't be an issue yeah right.

From the looks of it now I like the simplicity of the Built Ls route, and the $$$.

I guess I can start saving my $$$$, and maybe start of buy buying the Pistons/Rods first and maybe by then I'll have decided which route to go.

Old 04-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (AVATAR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AVATAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would he need to sell his turbo, his should be perfectly fine for his goals . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

because he said he wanted an SC61... and I don't think hes trying to run this set up on race gas either.. an SC34 won't make 350+ on pump w/ a strait LS.. not what I would consider safely at least.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:48 PM

Ohhh I didnt see that in his first post I didnt see him wanting over 350 either . . .
Old 04-19-2004, 04:50 PM

Yeah im running 1 bar right now, with a conservative tune I figure If I build the motor I would benefit from the larger sc61, as Id be turning the boost up to 17-18 psi and tuning a little more aggressive than my current tune. My car had alot of power left in it, as it sits, but timing is conservative, and a/f is about 11.8.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
... and I don't think hes trying to run this set up on race gas either.. an SC34 won't make 350+ on pump w/ a strait LS.. not what I would consider safely at least.</TD></TR></TABLE>

but it'll do it with an SC61 please explain? or shoot me an IM
Old 04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Smarter than you

its just because the SC61 is more efficient and you can run more power on pump before you get detonation. On iggy's current tune his hp to boost ramping is about 10hp/psi.. at that rate 350 will come at about 22psi.. I don't think hes really trying to push that much boost u know
Old 04-19-2004, 05:19 PM

Go with the GT35E!!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Smarter than you

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (Bulldogg83)

now that you bring up the gt35e I know of some top secret on the low **** goins down right now and i think it will be perfect for iggy. now don't all u <FONT COLOR="red">b</FONT>andwangoners get ur panties in a bunch because NO its not gonna make more power then the GT35e/sc61

Modified by DIRep972 at 6:35 PM 4/19/2004
Old 04-19-2004, 06:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now that you bring up the gt35e I know of some top secret on the low **** goins down right now and i think it will be perfect for iggy. now don't all u <FONT COLOR="red">b</FONT>andwangoners get ur panties in a bunch because NO its not gonna make more power then the GT35e/sc61

Modified by DIRep972 at 6:35 PM 4/19/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

we <FONT COLOR="red">H</FONT>ave to know so we can jump on it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now that you bring up the gt35e I know of some top secret on the low **** goins down right now and i think it will be perfect for iggy. now don't all u <FONT COLOR="red">b</FONT>andwangoners get ur panties in a bunch because NO its not gonna make more power then the GT35e/sc61

Modified by DIRep972 at 6:35 PM 4/19/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude, bandwagon broke up.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:54 PM

I have a built LS with a 57 trim which i was told is the same as sc34. I maxed my turbo out at 23 psi and made 400 whp. The thing is my power drops really fast after 6200 rpm cause of the LS head. If you want 350 whp it can be done with the sc34, and a modded LS head. If you plan on making more then 400 whp then do the vtec head with a bigger turbo. I would have pushed LS to 30 psi, if i had the turbo for it. There is no need to get a turbo bigger then what you need. If you not planning on going 30 psi then don't get the sc61
Old 04-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (espanol)

damn iggy,
if u plan on buying a house then u should scrap any further motor build ups til ur actually moved in. believe me, there is a ton of **** that u will need just to make the place comfortable.
then there is the closing costs, homeowner dues, home insurance, escrow acct,..

then there is quality of life issues like inspections, proper set up for heating, AC, gas, water, kitchen appliances, yard stuff, garage stuff, bedroom stuff, living room stuff, groceries, utilities...........the list goes on and on.

i just went thru this crap a year ago.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (CaptainMorgan)

A lot of people keep mentioning doing headwork to the ls. Well, you can do all the headwork youwant, but then you're stuck with a head that has no low end, a bad rocker arm setup for high rpm, and still doesn't flow as good as a stock vtec head...
Old 04-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIRep972 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright, heres my break down iggy.

say you stick w/ LS:

you do pistons/rods and freshin up the bottem end.. (Eagle rods/Cp Pistons 750$ + machine work/intstall/honda parts set aside another 500$ just to be safe)

sell your SC34 and upgrade to an SC61. (lets say you need 250$ to cover the difference)

factor in some money for dyno time and tuning and you are looking at about 1750$ to go to the next stage on your car.. Very simple too, just a swap of the motor and re-tune.

Your tranny, your clutch, your injectors, your ECU, your whole combination will all work very well together for 350-400whp and 11 sec passes.

Now lets say you go LSvtec:

to make the same power u r still gonna need to build the bottem end. so no matter what ur spending money on the LS bottem end.. then your going to need a vtec head(300$ for that b16), vtec distributor(125$), vtec ecu and rechipping(150$-300$ depending which ecu u choose).. your gonna need to add sensors to your wiring harness also.. your still gonna have to re-tune, your still gonna upgrade the turbo.. Your gonna need to get a new tranny to resize the gears for your new rev limit.. Lets say you sell ur LS tranny for 450 and you buy a gsr/b16 for 750.. So we are lookin at another 1k extra to do it LSvtec but there is definitly alot more power potential if you go down this road. you'll make the same power w/ out even trying.

its up to you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah, on this deal, with the vtec head you can still use your distributor, and the ls tranny won't be any worse with the ls/vtec than it is now with the ls. It's a no brainer...
Old 04-19-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power. (tony1)

Thanks for the advice Stick

Yeah theres seems to be pros and cons to both sides, but this is why I made the thread, because it's a tough call.

Tony if I do go the Vtec route, would you suggest a b16 or a gsr head? From what I've seen they flow about the same, but the Gsr will yeild a higher compression, and you have the Gsr cams over the b16 cams. However the b16 can be found for cheaper, so is it worth the extra $$$ to go with the Gsr head?

Quick Reply: Go LsVtec or build the Ls? Decision Decisions, Need more Power.