Notices

gas smell when boosting??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas smell when boosting??

when i drive hard and after i reach full boost at 8 psi and the bov makes its sound, i can smell a faint gassy smell from the engine bay... and it's not a fart smell either... i'm using the vafc hack with dsm 440cc injectors... the lines, etc., appear to be OK but i'm not sure if i missed something... is this normal or a potential serious problem..? could it be something related the injectors..?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gas smell when boosting?? (accordexchange)

check the fuel lines. Could also be you dumptube....if you have one.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:55 PM

Default Re: gas smell when boosting?? (intekragsr)

you might be right-rrei also mentioned the same possibility... i have a tial 35mm external wastegate and a dump tube attached to it... why didn't i think of that before... i'm an idiot...
Old 05-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordexchange &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you might be right-rrei also mentioned the same possibility... i have a tial 35mm external wastegate and a dump tube attached to it... why didn't i think of that before... i'm an idiot... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same setup... My Dumptube doesn't fully extend under my car, it goes about a foot down from the WG at an angle before it is blocked by my IC piping... I have bad fuel smells, I reak like fuel after boosting GF can tell if I have been driving... So a longer dumptube that shoots exhaust gasses farther from the bay will be beneficial?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:39 PM
New User

Thus, my sig. *breathe* ahhh that distinct gas vapor...
Old 05-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas smell when boosting?? (Pritos)

At what point does it become a health issue? I know you guys have all seen Cops when they have crackhead gas huffers struggling to form a coherent sentence, is there a certain level that is considered tolerable for daily exposure? Don't muffler shops and such have tools to measure levels of gasses in cars? Can anyone point me in the right direction to get it checked out please
Old 05-22-2003, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gas smell when boosting?? (mskibbz-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mskibbz-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At what point does it become a health issue? I know you guys have all seen Cops when they have crackhead gas huffers struggling to form a coherent sentence, is there a certain level that is considered tolerable for daily exposure? Don't muffler shops and such have tools to measure levels of gasses in cars? Can anyone point me in the right direction to get it checked out please </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-22-2003, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gas smell when boosting?? (Accord94DX)

LOL... I'm not that paranoid, its just that I smell a strong gas smell. Strong enough to permeate my clothing is pretty damn strong IMHO
Old 05-22-2003, 06:39 AM

I had a crazy bad fuel smell in my car, i replaced the seals on the injectors after i Found i had a small fuel leak on one of the injectors.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spudddy)

If you dont have it re-enter the exhaust can you just run it along next to the down pipe for about 1-2 feet to get it to the area underneath the seats and let it out there?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:23 AM
New User

most of the external wg'd cars that I've driven with dumptubes pointed straight down the middle of the car usually smell lilke that after boosting.

The exhaust always finds a way in. My advice is to extend that dump tube so it exits more to the side of the car or just extended lower to the ground.

do you have any holes in your firewall? take tissue, duct tape, or whatever you have and seal those holes up.

it's all part of the game. eu de gas #91
Old 05-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pritos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most of the external wg'd cars that I've driven with dumptubes pointed straight down the middle of the car usually smell lilke that after boosting.

The exhaust always finds a way in. My advice is to extend that dump tube so it exits more to the side of the car or just extended lower to the ground.

do you have any holes in your firewall? take tissue, duct tape, or whatever you have and seal those holes up.

it's all part of the game. eu de gas #91</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have holes in my firewall!! Thanks for pointing that out
Old 05-22-2003, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, check your FMU. It could be leaking there.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:10 AM
New User

annnnd, use the recirc button on your ventilation controls. if u have it to fresh u'll get a face full of exhaust.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pritos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">annnnd, use the recirc button on your ventilation controls. if u have it to fresh u'll get a face full of exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yet another thing I am doing wrong, I always have it on fresh so it doesn't get stuffy.. thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 11:57 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

I rod in a buddy of mines car before I came to work, i work at a bank, they thought I had been working on my own car before i came to work, in my work clothing. .

A little exaggeration .