Notices

Fuel pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure problems

Hey guys i was wondering if u all could give me some more ideals on the pressure problem im having. I just installed a HP Walbro Fuel Pump in my Hatch that has a B18B in it. My problem is that i cant get the fuel pressure down . I had a B&M regulator on it and tried the drilling the hole in the regulator for some press. relief and it still wouldnt bring it down . So i thought it might be the regulator. Well to make a long story short i went out and bought a AEM regulator and another new gauge ( just in case ) and it still will not back down. I mean i can back it off and it will drop, but the car will not run. I back it off to about 48 psi and thats it . The car will die if i lower any more. It seems to run right with the vac. hose off at about 64-66 and about 58 with the hose on. Has anyone ever had this problem i mean i have about 400 bucks in regulators and gauges and problem is still the same. Any help with this head ache would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure problems (dwilson)

that is a crazy problem. what is you set up? also how does it run on the road?
Old 03-18-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel pressure problems (ATurboCivic2NV)

runs fine, actually runs better since i put the other pump in, no black smoke or anything. I can actually peg the psi gauge on 100 psi and it still doesnt blow black smoke. i dont know what to do i guess get it on a dyno and let them dial it in and then keep that pressure for a base. Dam this is so frustrating. i was going to put my Drag III kit on this wkend and now i can't until i get this dam fuel problem solved. With me riding on with the psi so high will this burn up my injectors (Anybody). The crazy thing is that i can check my plugs and they actually look like they are running a little lean( Whitish, On the 3rd Cylinder).

[Modified by dwilson, 9:54 PM 3/18/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 01:20 PM

well at 100psi i would imagine you will burn up your fuel pump. also you would most likely be running rich at a lower psi due to the consumption of fuel (correct me if i am wrong) since only one cylinder appears to run diffrently i would do a compression check. maybe you have a sticky valve or some ****. dont know, but it is a cheap test.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel pressure problems (ATurboCivic2NV)

Its not that its just that is the only one i checked cause it usually is the one that runs the hottest, so i figured i should check the leanest running cylinder. Can anyone think of anything to try. I am at the end of my list and dont really like to emit defeat, but damn i have tried everthing and installed everything correctly. I mean how hard is it to put in a fuel pump, gauge and a reg. i am wondering why it will not let me back down to spec psi. The reg. will back it down, but then they cars idle keeps almost dieing and then it will come up to the correct rpm and then back down and die and then back to the correct again. Anybody
Old 03-18-2002, 01:51 PM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

do you have an FMU?
Old 03-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel pressure problems (sgT)

Not as of yet. Here is basically my fuel set up excluding the FMU and the turbo . Cant install until i get this problem fixed.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:10 PM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

and you are using the largest orifice that comes with the aem regulator?
Old 03-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel pressure problems (sgT)

No i am using the middle sized one. It said that the one that came in it was for a stock fuel pump, so i tried the middle sized orfice and it would not back it down and then i tried the bigger one and it didnt seem to help either and also made the idle vary from 500 to 1000 back and forth. So i went back down to the middle one. I dont think its the reg. though i mean the regulator will back the psi down its just that the cars runs like **** with the idle range boucing up and down starting at about 48 psi like its starving for gas or something . I can adjust it back up to about 58 and it runs fine.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked the walbro pump?
Old 03-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel pressure problems (Trigun)

Not really, how do u check one? I mean it is turning on when u turn the ignition on and is pumping gas. The car runs fine its just when i try to back the pressure down to were the haynes manual says that factor spec is it starts to die.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

93 civic Hb
>94' Ls motor
>Drag III kit, Vortec 12:1 (FMU)
>Walbro Hp 255 FP
>AEM Fuel Rail& Reg.
>B&M Gauge
>AEM Cam Gears

Oooppps, Sorry i was suppose to have sent this a couple of post back.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess what i meant to say in a question and answer form (if that made sense) is if a "damaged" intank pump can cause the pressure fluctuations/gap.

in any case, i'm installing my walbro/aem fpr/pressure guage combo this weekend .. i could give you a definate answer if one of your parts is broken on monday if you could wait that long hehe.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel pressure problems (Trigun)

Sure why not i have been trying to fix it for two wks now. I have spent so much money for the different reg. and gauges the only thing it could be is the fuel pump but im not seeing how. I mean if it wasnt pushing enough pressure yes, but to much. And then the fact that i can back the pressure off to where it needs to be and the car dies makes no sense what so ever.