Notices

Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit?

I think something may be wrong with my intank fuel pump. I have a 255 high pressure walbro intank pump. When I start my car up, it reads the normal 52 psi @idle, but after driving for awhile the fuel pressure starts to drop, and eventually goes down to 0 psi of pressure. As the fuel pressure goes down, I can notice the whining of the fuel pump getting louder and louder. I really hope the pump isn't giving out cause it will be a big hassle to drop the tank.

[Modified by Airtracks, 3:37 PM 11/16/2002]
Old 11-16-2002, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (Airtracks)

Where is your sending unit installed in your fuel system? Is it an electrical gauge? Also, what brand?

Dustin
Old 11-16-2002, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to drop the tank to change the pump. It sounds like your pump is hosed or your gauge is messed up. I'm assuming that the engine just shuts off when the gauge reads 0?

Sonny
Old 11-16-2002, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (Sonny)

I'm no stranger to engines or anything as I'm an Auto Tech by trade. However, I just purchased one of the new Autometer Cobalt Electric FP Gauges and was curious as to know where would be best to connect this thing. It's got a larege 1/8" NPT thread on it and I can't find a place visually to mount this sending unit..... any help would be appreciated!

Dustin
Old 11-16-2002, 04:16 PM

You don't have to drop the tank to change the pump. It sounds like your pump is hosed or your gauge is messed up. I'm assuming that the engine just shuts off when the gauge reads 0?

Sonny
The weird thing is when my guage reads 0 psi my car still runs, but I notice that my inline pump is working very hard (sounds like its struggling) when the fuel pressure drops opposed to when my gauge was at 52 psi. I'm thinking its the intank pump because as soon the pump starts making strange noises, my fuel pressure drops. Also another strange incident is that my fuel pump is NOT connected to the lid of my gas tank, and there is no hose going to the lid (just the electrical wires). I did not install the pump myself so I don't have a clue if my stock pump was originally connected to the lid. I have a 2000 gsr.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have other problems. The car wouldnt even run below about 15.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (B20A5T)

I'm no stranger to engines or anything as I'm an Auto Tech by trade. However, I just purchased one of the new Autometer Cobalt Electric FP Gauges and was curious as to know where would be best to connect this thing. It's got a larege 1/8" NPT thread on it and I can't find a place visually to mount this sending unit..... any help would be appreciated!

Dustin
This is called "thread hijacking". Next time click "new topic" in the FI forum then ask your question that way.

You most likely only have 1 option to mount the sending unit and that would be right on top of the filter under the hood where the 17mm hex head banjo bolt bolts the rubber fuel line to the filter. There is also a 12mm bolt thats actually in the banjo bolt designed as a way to test fuel pressure with the correct adapter. To make a long story short...look at the B&M fuel pressure gauge for the Hondas and copy the adapter that comes with it. the adapter replaces the banjo bolt on the filter and offers a female 1/8 npt for you to screw the sending unit into.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (Jared)

Yes it will on 15psi. I was running my car for on 10 psi for a long time. It was crazy. Ran pretty bad, but defintely ran for months.

On my CRX my Electronic Autometer fuel gauge is a piece of junk. Like you, it starts out fine...and it continually will drop untill it ends up reading 0. Swapping a mechanical gauge in, it is always correct. I think it's the brain box that is messed up as I checked the wire connections twice. Anyone else having problems with this autometer gauge?

[Modified by true, 4:40 AM 11/17/2002]
Old 11-16-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (true)

I have a mechanical B&M fuel pressure gauge, not electronic like autometer. Since the fuel pressure drops marginally depending on how long I drive, I'm thinking that the motor in the fuel pump is overheating?
Old 11-16-2002, 08:15 PM

On my CRX my Electronic Autometer fuel gauge is a piece of junk. Like you, it starts out fine...and it continually will drop untill it ends up reading 0. Swapping a mechanical gauge in, it is always correct
Can anyone confirm the electronic fp guage is junk? I was thinking of buying one but not if it just craps out. I have a b&m under the hood, but want to watch the pressure from in the cabin.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (spoon2)

Can anyone confirm the electronic fp guage is junk? I was thinking of buying one but not if it just craps out. I have a b&m under the hood, but want to watch the pressure from in the cabin.
I disagree. I have an Autometer full-sweep (maybe he's talking about the short sweep?) gauge and I've known 4 other locals with the same gauge. It works bitchin'. It's been reliable and very accurate. I'm very happy with this gauge.

Sonny
Old 11-16-2002, 08:32 PM

I was actually thinking of the short sweep, the full sweep is like $70 more isn't it? If the short sweep is the one that always craps out, guess I won't have an option.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:38 PM

I didn't say Autometer elec fpr were junk in general. Mine is the full sweep..it's the expensive $200 one. (when i bought it) Notice i said 'my' gauge is a piece of junk. Friend of mine has the same thing and his works fine. Mine must be defective...I just mentioned it in case he was having the same problem as me.

[Modified by true, 5:39 AM 11/17/2002]
Old 11-17-2002, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (true)

Hey guys I just remebered...THE ELECTRIC FP GUAGE (short sweep) IS JUNK!!!

They have a RECALL on this particular gauge right now. Maybe that has something to do with your problem.
Old 11-17-2002, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Fuel pressure keeps dropping...the culprit? (skilzz)

Hey guys I just remebered...THE ELECTRIC FP GUAGE (short sweep) IS JUNK!!!

They have a RECALL on this particular gauge right now. Maybe that has something to do with your problem.
I said I had a B&M guage, not an autometer!