Notices

Fuel Pressure is 50PSI at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure is 50PSI at idle.

Hey guys i have a stock gsr motor with a 60 trim turbo. Im running 525 cc injectors and a stock fuel pressure regulator. The car is running on basemaps as of now. The other day i took my spark plugs out and noticed that they were completely black. As if the car was running super rich. Yesterday my fuel pressure gauge came in the mail so i installed it and noticed that my fuel pressure was at 50psi at idle. Im running only 5 pounds of boost right now. But i was wondering what should the fuel pressure be at for a stock gsr at idle? 50 psi seems a bit high to me. Is that the cause of my motor running rich?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure is 50PSI at idle. (GsrIntegra789)

Did you check the pressure with the vaccum line off the regulator? What fuel pump do you have?

I remember installing the walbro 255 and the fuel pressure went up almost 10psi on stock rail and regulator.

Is the motor tuned?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure is 50PSI at idle. (champLSinteg)

the motor is untuned right now just basemaps. And yeah i am running a walboro 255 pump. I didnt think that a bigger fuel pump would give more fuel pressure since i still have a stock fuel pressure regulator. What is stock fuel pressure ne way?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 AM

I was under the impression stock fuel pressure is ~40.

I'm running a walbro 255 and mine is 50psi @ idle (my engine was tuned @ that though)
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure is 50PSI at idle. (JoePSI)

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/regulator/
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure is 50PSI at idle. (Snafubmx234)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snafubmx234 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.theoldone.com/articles/regulator/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks ill try that when i get home.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GsrIntegra789 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks ill try that when i get home. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You said the motor is still untuned. Why dont you just leave it they way it is and get it tuned?
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually the maps that i am using come from an identical setup. so they should be dead on already...its just that the fuel pressure is way too high. if i can bring it down a bit at least my plugs wont be charcoal black and the motor will run a little better. Plus i have to wait 3 weeks or so till the tune. By that time i would go broke paying for gas.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Identical meaning it has the exact same milage, of which were driven by the exact same type of driver, in the same conditions, used the same fuel, had the same amount of carbon deposites on the valves and in the chaimber, had the same exact voltage (w/in .001 of a volt) to the exactly identical fuel pump with the exact same output (w/in .0001 of a LPH), same FPR, same fuel rail, identical injectors made in the same batch, and was tuned under the exact same conditions?

Or identical meaning just the same turbo, motor, and injectors?

I hope you understand my point. Motors are different enough to require custom tunes to be spot-on as they come off a fully automated assembly line one after the other. Being used or hand built completely changes things. Chances are the basemap has closed-loop disabled and had fuel added just to be on the safe side. Basemaps are made to get you to the tuner in 1 peice, not to be boosted on. You can argue that other people do it, I don't mind. Just like how some people jump off bridges to cure certain type of sadness - conformity doesn't make either correct.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Pressure is 50PSI at idle. (HiProfile)

Did u read my post? i said Identical SETUP referring to the turbo setup. And yes of course i know no two motors are the same. I know a tune is still needed. however the maps should be close enough and they are. My friend just got his car dynoed and he was using maps that were tuned on another motor with the same setup as well. When we put it on the dyno it turned out that they were so close no adjustments were needed. Lucky huh? Still I believe the car will run better if i decrease the fuel pressure a bit. Dont you think?

Modified by GsrIntegra789 at 5:52 PM 6/4/2008

Modified by GsrIntegra789 at 5:55 PM 6/4/2008
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GsrIntegra789 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did u read my post? i said Identical SETUP referring to the turbo setup. And yes of course i know no two motors are the same. I know a tune is still needed. however the maps should be close enough and they are. My friend just got his car dynoed and he was using maps that were tuned on another motor with the same setup as well. When we put it on the dyno it turned out that they were so close no adjustments were needed. Lucky huh? Still I believe the car will run better if i decrease the fuel pressure a bit. Dont you think?
Modified by GsrIntegra789 at 5:55 PM 6/4/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

You dont seem to get the point...just because your friend's map worked on another motor with similar setup does not mean it will work on yours. GET IT TUNED!
Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by champLSinteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You dont seem to get the point...just because your friend's map worked on another motor with similar setup does not mean it will work on yours. GET IT TUNED! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think some of you might be on some serious drugs. Show me where have i ever said that im not gonna get a tune?? I KNOW I NEED A TUNE AND IVE STATED THIS LIKE 5 TIMES ALREADY. I HAVE TO WAIT 3 WEEKS TO GET AN APPOINTMENT. And no im not missing the point. I fully understand how stuff works. This is the 6th turbo setup i have been involved in within the past year or so. When i started this thread it was started bc i had a question about fuel pressure and what its supposed to be at idle. Not whether or not to get a tune.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well what do you want us to tell you other than give it less fuel. You cant turn down the FP because you dont have a regulator and I am assuming you are running a program that requires a chip so you cant help yourself there........ aint really much you can do boss except deal with it or park it.

Stock Press is around 40-43..... why are you even driving the car w/o a wideband, having owned 6 prev turbo setups you should know this is critical.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GsrIntegra789 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think some of you might be on some serious drugs. Show me where have i ever said that im not gonna get a tune?? I KNOW I NEED A TUNE AND IVE STATED THIS LIKE 5 TIMES ALREADY. I HAVE TO WAIT 3 WEEKS TO GET AN APPOINTMENT. And no im not missing the point. I fully understand how stuff works. This is the 6th turbo setup i have been involved in within the past year or so. When i started this thread it was started bc i had a question about fuel pressure and what its supposed to be at idle. Not whether or not to get a tune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I answered your question...you have the walbro 255 so the fuel pressure will go up! All we are doing is looking out because you did say in the original post that you were running 5 psi, meaning that you were boosting on an untuned motor! So spend money on an adjustable fuel regulator or save it and tune the car the way it is!