Notices

Fuel Management Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Management Unit

I found a great deal on a turbo kit for my 00 Civic EX. The only thing it needs is a FMU. Anyone know where I can find a decent one. I looked on ebay and google. I need some advice on where to find one, if it is a univerisial unit etc. If I can find a FMU that will work, I can finally have my turbo!! So any help from you guys would be much much much appreciated!

Edit:

I figure I'd give you some info on the turbo so you can have a better idea on what I need:

AR-43 Garrett T3 Turbo
Wastegated at 5 PSI
Intercooler (13.25 x 11.50 x 3)
and a DSM BOV

My car is more or less stock.

Modified by mpociask at 9:47 PM 6/5/2004
Old 06-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Management Unit (mpociask)

You have got some learning and searching to do. Type in FMU on the search function and see what it brings up. Your going to need some more stuff then what you have listed. Just keep reading and learning before you turbo your car.

Blaze
Old 06-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have vortech fmu that comes w/ the drag kit if your insterest in it...
Old 06-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel Management Unit (Boostfedb18c1)

that intercooler is ridiculously over-sized for a 5psi application
Old 06-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sent you an email.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=741279
Old 06-05-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Fuel Management Unit (Muckman)

That looks very nice. Thank you for the email. I do have a few questions though, maybe you guys can give me a quick crash coarse. I know most of you would advise me to hit up google for some answers, but while I am doing that, the turbo deal is slipping thru my fingers.

I need some quick info on FMU to help my in my search.

If I buyMuckman's FMU, WILL IT WORK WITH MY SET UP?!?

Heres what *I THINK* I need/want for my turbo set up, please inform me if I am missing anything.

Turbo + Wastegate
Manifold
Intercooler and piping
Oil Lines
FMU
BOV
Manual Boost Controller
Downpipe

Soon after, I will do injectors, and head gasket.

Thank you in advance for any info you guys provide.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Moderator in Chief

Basically any FMU will work with your setup as they are fairly universal. There is of course a difference in quality between different types. The Vortech units are some of the better FMU's on the market.

An FMU is not the best choice for fuel management but it can supply enough fuel through increasing fuel pressure to feed low boost (6-8psi). Fuel management through electronic means (ECU tuning) is always better and more precise however using an FMU is much cheaper and easier which is why its very common.

For your boost (<8psi) and power goals (<275hp) Id say an FMU will be enough. Make sure you retard ignition timing a few degrees with the distributor to be safe.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Fuel Management Unit (Muckman)

Thanks for the info muckman!

There is a very good chance that I will buy your FMU. I need to do a little more research before hand.

The thing that is bothering me is this:

I called my local tuner shop about FMUs and they said it needs to be custom tuned to my car specifically, (not just to a generic 2000 Civic EX). He also said that he doesn't know of anyone in Illinois that can do that for me.

Are you (Muckman) and the guy talking about the same thing? I just hope I don't buy your FMU and not have it work with my setup.

BTW To any admins that may be getting mad at me making offers to Muckman's FMU. I know this type of business belongs in the classified section but I cannot use it since I am only a trial member.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:50 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

While the FMU is not the most favorable setup for engine management at times, it will work for a beginner and lower PSI's. Most people recommend staying under 7 psi or so, because the way an FMU works is it takes your static fuel pressure then adds pressure based on how much boost you're pushing.

For example, let's say you have your static fuel pressure set at 40 psi. As you boost, the FMU raises your fuel pressure, in essence delivering more fuel for the additional air. This works up to a point of diminishing returns, where you begin to impede the opening of the injectors with the high fuel pressure once you cross this threshold. If you're boosting, say 7 psi and are using a 10:1 FMU, your fuel pressure will be 40+(10*7) = 110psi. As you can see, you don't want insanely high fuel pressures, so again, FMU's will get you going, and should work fine on a low boost setup.

As far as what your shop said, it is better to custom tune the engine instead of just slapping an FMU on there, but some EMS is expensive. Hondata and AEM are two choices that most reputable tuner shops will be willing to tune, but they cost a butt load. Uberdata is free software, but you have to know someone that is willing to tune it...most shops won't do it simply because it is freeware [this is what I have heard].
Old 06-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Moderator in Chief

Well as anything concerning fuel for you car, it has to be adjusted specifically for one car. Whether it be a FMU, V-AFC, or Hondata. Adjustable FMU's have an adjustment to set the static fuel pressure. This is how it becomes universally applicable.

Using DaX's example of fuel pressure 40+(10*7) = 110psi. You could adjust the FMU so that instead of having a base fuel pressure of 40psi, it could be set to 60psi. So the result would be 60+(10*7) = 130psi (more fuel). You will of course need a fuel pressure gauge to accurately adjust pressure. The B&M FPG is a nice cheap unit.

It sounds like your shop is a little intimidated by FMU's. However they are the easiest things in the world to adjust. What I recommend would be to get on your shops dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, and have them adjust the fuel pressure until your high load (in boost) regions have a safe AFR (11-12 AFR).

The reason why FMUs have a bad reputation is because most FMU users cheap out on the tuning portion and dont have any idea what their AFR is while in boost. Therefor they are adjusting fuel pressure blindly and this is how you blow engines. A wideband is nessecary to tune any kind of fuel management system.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:25 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Yeah, I'm not knocking FMU's...I've seen great numbers from a properly tuned FMU setup.