Notices

fuel management questions for boosting d16y8....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel management questions for boosting d16y8....

Okay... my friend has a 97 EX w/ a d16y8... He is planning on doing a custom turbo setup and I'm curious as to how we should setup his fuel management...

He currently has venom injectors (Not Installed), STR Fuel Rail, AEM FPR, and Fields SFC Vtec Controller. Now the venom injectors claim to be 20% over stock... Now will this suffice for a 6-8psi setup? And would he just be best off to keep this setup and run a missing link?

Also, he has a Venom Intake manifold that he already bought... Think this will help once he is boosted? Cause it sure as hell didn't help him n/a... LOL! He took it off and is running the stock y8 manifold right now...

ScrapinSi
Who hopefully will have himself and his buddy boostin by august...
Old 07-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel management questions for boosting d16y8.... (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay... my friend has a 97 EX w/ a d16y8... He is planning on doing a custom turbo setup and I'm curious as to how we should setup his fuel management...

He currently has venom injectors (Not Installed), STR Fuel Rail, AEM FPR, and Fields SFC Vtec Controller. Now the venom injectors claim to be 20% over stock... Now will this suffice for a 6-8psi setup? And would he just be best off to keep this setup and run a missing link?

Also, he has a Venom Intake manifold that he already bought... Think this will help once he is boosted? Cause it sure as hell didn't help him n/a... LOL! He took it off and is running the stock y8 manifold right now...

ScrapinSi
Who hopefully will have himself and his buddy boostin by august... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Personally, I woul sell the Venom intake manifold and injectors as well as the Fields Controller and buy a hondata setup and RC injectors. Get a fuel pump if you don't have one. Then again, at 6psi, you are probably OK.

The Y8 manifold is awesome. Just use it. It is the Type R mani for us D series guys.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:37 PM

Get a fuel pump
Old 07-16-2003, 05:54 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

um, the stock fuel rail is capable of 300hp...he got a flashy piece of **** if you ask me. I run my greddy kit intercooled at 8psi on the blue box all day long...you can get a blue box off ebay all day long for $100...great way to get fuel management for a system under 10psi to hold you over until you can save up.

sell the venom bullshit...it's total ****. RC all the way...or dsm 450's/resistor box baby! you don't need a fuel pump unless you're pushing about 12psi by the way...oh yeah, and get rid of the vtec controller too. that is junk and screwing with your vtec solenoid is asking for trouble. besides once the turbo is installed (and thoroughly bleeding off oil pressure to lube it's bearings) you'll definitely want full oil pressure going through the solenoid so it engages fully at the right rpm and not a lower one. hell, hondata compensates for vtec too...

basically, he went super *****-to-the-wall on the fuel system when he doesn't need to.

missing link sucks big nuts...and isn't needed with the blue box...only thing you need is a high flow cat and you're golden
Old 07-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel management questions for boosting d16y8.... (stackz)

im sorry.... but i personally HATE the blue box...

Yes, he made many unncessary fuel system purchases back in his ricer days...

I was mainly wondering if this setup is okay... He doesn't want to spend the money on hondata at the moment, especially if it isn't needed for his setup...

So EK, you think with his setup and a fuel pump he should be good?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:21 PM
at the jetties fishin'

his fuel setup with the a fuel pump will be overkill and if he doesnt' go with hondata (and use proper saturated fuel injectors) he's going to be in a world of hurt.

and there's nothing wrong with the blue box even though you personally hate it. You just apparently don't know how to exploit it is all. have a nice day screwing with his setup for him.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel management questions for boosting d16y8.... (stackz)

dude... I have experience with the blue box, and it is junk... thats why 99% of people ditch it in favor of the AFC hack or Hondata... You are one of the VERY few who actually likes it... BTW... How much horsepower did that MSD give you?

And I've got a pretty good history of tuning cars, so just be careful before you go runnin your mouth... I am just asking a question if his CURRENT setup is okay... So before you try giving your "Expert" opinion, read the entire post.

If I wanted everybody's opinions, it would be for him to get a SC61 turbo, Full Race Manifold, Spearco I/C, Tial or HKS Wastegate, Hondata s200, TechEdge Wideband, Defi Link Gauges, Delphi 1000cc injectors, GE Sleeves, and about $15k more worth of ****... Thats why I asked about THIS setup, not what you think he should run...
Old 07-16-2003, 07:08 PM
at the jetties fishin'

oh yes, my wonderful expert opinion...yay. go whack off to your pipe dreams, make fun of my setup. I don't give a ****. At least you took the time to read my signature....haha
Old 07-17-2003, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT... Anybody else have a REASONABLE response?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just tell him to run VAFC hack for a while until he's ready for hondata. It's the easiest and you can tune it yourself for the most part.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel management questions for boosting d16y8.... (Happyman)

well i'm wondering if his venom injectors will be sufficient enough for him....
Old 07-17-2003, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the Venom crap, buy some RC or DSM 440/450's and run the AFC hack in the mean time and be happy.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fuel management questions for boosting d16y8.... (VTC_CiViC)

wise words
Old 07-17-2003, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not that you really want this opinion, but if he has already purchased the fields controller and he doesnt ever wanna push over 8psi then he could get some 310cc injectors and use the fields controller. I'm using a ford probe 2.2 gt (310cc) injectors and they seem to be doing a pretty good job.

Nick