Notices

Fuel delivery, ECU's and pre-start-up help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel delivery, ECU's and pre-start-up help...

Ok, I'll list the setup and then pose the questions..

93 Civic EX Coupe
B18B with TD05 turbo
Factory P06 ECU
Factory everything else
Vortech Rising rate fuel regular in-line

Ok, here's the deal.. right now the car runs non-turbo with NO O2 sensor, so the ECU is in "safe" mode running rich. The question is, I'm increasing fuel delivery via a positive manifold pressure response regulator, and I'm installing an O2 sensor to bring it back into an active loop. What I'm worried about is with the ECU already compensating for a 1.6 to 1.8 engine difference, how much more will it be able to compensate for the addition of the turbo? I've already got injectors and S300 on the list to do, but budget demands I wait first. So I need to be able to crank the car and run it with low boost to make sure everything else is pat and such.

So my question is, with the regulator compensation, will the ECU be able to compensate enough for the additional .2 liters and the forced induction?

I do have some bigger injectors I could put in, but without ECU management I'm concerned about low-rpm and idle conditions. I have no desire to put the motor into a lean condition right off the bat at low boost or cruising conditions.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fuel delivery, ECU's and pre-start-up help... (Dramier)

Well for starters if you don't have a check valve or some sort of missing link you won't be boosting at all, for code 3 will be thrown as soon as you build any amount of boost.

I say just drive it around out of boost if you absolutely have to drive the car and wait until you get the bigger injectors and the EMS in there before doing anything. BTW, why are you running a D15 ecu on the LS to begin with?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel delivery, ECU's and pre-start-up help... (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well for starters if you don't have a check valve or some sort of missing link you won't be boosting at all, for code 3 will be thrown as soon as you build any amount of boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand what you mean by check valve or missing link...? As in map sensor mod or something?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I say just drive it around out of boost if you absolutely have to drive the car and wait until you get the bigger injectors and the EMS in there before doing anything. BTW, why are you running a D15 ecu on the LS to begin with?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Long story.. I bought the car in it's current incarnation and I'm slowly converting it to turbo. The ecu doesn't matter much since I'll be going with an aftermarket chipped setup anyway. I have a P06 and P28 on-hand, and getting nearly any ECU isn't a problem.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dramier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't understand what you mean by check valve or missing link...? As in map sensor mod or something?

The ecu cannot read boost, so a check valve or a missing link hide boost from the map sensor to a certain point so it doesn't throw a map sensor code

Long story.. I bought the car in it's current incarnation and I'm slowly converting it to turbo. The ecu doesn't matter much since I'll be going with an aftermarket chipped setup anyway. I have a P06 and P28 on-hand, and getting nearly any ECU isn't a problem.

Then put a stock P75 ecu in there with the stock injectors and drive it around out of boost if you must drive it. If the car can sit, I would say wait untill you get the chipped ecu setup in there to drive it hard.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't boost it till you get it tuned many, otherwise get a missing link (Google it, its a one way valve that goes inline with you MAP) and try and stay out of boost.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel delivery, ECU's and pre-start-up help... (93turbo16)

You really think it's that dangerous of a potentional lean condition on a factory ECU? As long as I know all the piping and such is good and it will generate boost then I can proceed with ordering other things and getting the rest finished. I just hesitate to call the turbo side good if I can't see boost generated... heh.. budgets suck eh?

I'll do some homework tonite and find out about the check valve you're talking about, thanks a ton for the responses.