Notices

Forged piston sounds.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged piston sounds.

I've had my JE pistons in for awhile now. This weekend installed my 450cc DSM injectors. (My car is not turboed yet). I've been listening to my engine closer since.

It seems the car diesels really loud at low rpm and full throttle (the car is already warmed up too). Once the rpms pick up (4000ish) the dieseling goes away. Pretty much when there is a hard load on the engine at low rpm it diesels. Is this normal with these pistons? I'm not detonating am I (which I doubt)? Am I leaning (vfac settings: -30 @ 1000 for idle, -40 @ 1500 to redline)?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (gtcali)

My JE's would only sound like that during cold start ups. After they warmed they were quiet.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:01 AM

Mine do it, and the guys at race-eng told me that i should expect them to be alittle noisy on cold start ups. So i'd say it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:16 AM

it's okay on start up, so don't worry about it. As the engine warms up and the pistons get more heat they will expand and the piston knock will go away.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (ekb18c)

it's okay on start up, so don't worry about it. As the engine warms up and the pistons get more heat they will expand and the piston knock will go away.
Mine do it too when cold. Ben @ AEBS told me that's normal for forged pistons. Why yours is doing it when warm I don't know.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (Diego Boost)

What about when the car is warmed up.

Low rpm with a large load (full throttle, low rpm) it diesels.

What's weird is now that I put in the larger injectors. My car is running a lot cooler.

Diego Boost. Where do you live? Somebody listen to my car!!!

[Modified by gtcali, 1:13 PM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-04-2003, 11:40 AM

It shouldn't sound like that when it's warmed up. Piston slap should only occur when the motor is cold.

Time to take the motor apart.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe need valve adjustment?
Old 03-04-2003, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (MiraiZ)

maybe need valve adjustment?
Could be ! Good point!
Old 03-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tearing down the motor might be a little premature imo.. I would just have someone listen to it.. It's funny because I was a little paranoid when I had my built block... The **** seemed to make a racket at low rpms, I know exactly what you mean. Even warm it was a little noisy at low rpms. The motor itself just has a COMPLETELY different sound compared to a stock block. I had wiseco pistons myself.. I used to get nervous at the beginning thinking something was wrong but that's just the way it is..

15k miles later I crack a sleeve and pull it apart and the block looks to be in great shape.. Cross-hatching is still nearly perfect and the bearings are perfect.. Now that I have a stock block in the car it sounds completely different, but that's just the way it is..

-Mike
Old 03-04-2003, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (SlowTeg)

When the car gets in its powerband, all the dieseling goes away. Maybe I am paranoid. The sleeves are stock.

Can somebody listen to my car in San Diego? I live in the Mira Mesa area.

[Modified by gtcali, 1:16 PM 3/4/2003]
Old 03-04-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (SlowTeg)

get a stethoscope(sp) from Walgreens and listens to it...have somebody rev it up and put a load and listen fopr the knocking and where it's coming from...
it could be rod knock as well which is bad..or it can only be valves not adjusted

stan
Old 03-04-2003, 02:05 PM

Diego Boost. Where do you live? Somebody listen to my car!!!

Santee. Shoot me pm and I'll try to meet up with you some time. You would be better off taking it to AEBS and have Ben or Roger take a listen to it, they have more experience then I do. You can call them at 858-693-3200. They're on Miramar road. While you're there take a look at the 7 second focus!
Old 03-04-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car still does it. It's not something to be to worried about. Talk to the shop, if they say it's ok, then it's on them if anything goes wrong with your motor. Inline built my car and they said they built it a little loose so it will make that diesel engine sound forever. Why they did that, I have no clue, but they said it won't harm the motor.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:18 PM

I have that sound also with my je srp pistons and eagle rods.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (SiSoul)

I have the same thing going on. It even does it when its warm. I have the older arias pistons and I have heard they are especially bad, just because of the materials they were made from. I've been driving it hard for about six months, and no problems yet, knock on wood....
Old 03-04-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (Diego Boost)

I might go bye AEBS. I just don't want them to charge me.

I've only been there a couple of times. Once when Pritos was dynoing his car.

That place is a trip though. Do I just pull up to the garage and talk to somebody? I never seen an office there.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:11 PM

autoEXturbo, SiSoul, and genop. I hope you guys are right.

You know when I put the motor together, I was kinda concerned on the gap between the cylinder walls and the piston. I knew they expanded, but the gap as pretty big.

For some reason after I posted on the way home it didn't diesel that much. I was really trying go listen for it again. I could get it to make the sound at like 20mph punching it in 5th gear. A really heavy load.

Like I said above, I might have a shop listen to it. I hate going to shops though.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well here is what i think. Take it back, if you have any serious concerns, don't listen to anyone on these boards. There are credible people here, but they don't know how the shop built your motor and sure as hell won't give you money to repair it if they gave wrong advice. I will always ask questions here, but i will also take my car back to inline if i feel there is a problem. I was listening to my car this morning once it fully warmed up. The diesel sound quieted up some, but was still there. I don't think it should be to much of a problem, but I would just take it back. I don't think they would charge just to listen to the motor, i'm sure they won't have to take it apart to diagnose the problem.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (autoEXturbo)

i have je piston ,at low rpm in full trotle my car sound like diesel even when its warm but that normal
Old 03-05-2003, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would still take it by a shop and see what they say. What I hear in my car is normal, I've never heard your car so I dont know. Better to be safe than sorry. Besides I dont think most shops would charge you to just listen to your car....
Old 03-05-2003, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey please check out the TECH form. I made the same post about the noise of forged pistons.

* my questions is..... ARE there different grades of FORGED piston that i can get, i heard somw where that there were a soft and hard type.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (Charlie Moua)

I have heard people say that the silicon content is what determines the expanding characteristics of the pistons. Sorry I cant get anymore technical than that. I'm sure someone will chim in with a more informative post.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:03 AM

That place is a trip though. Do I just pull up to the garage and talk to somebody? I never seen an office there.
They got the new front office setup a few weeks ago, but I would just roll it by the back bays and ask if someone could listen to your ride real quick, I highly doubt they'll charge you .
Old 03-05-2003, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Forged piston sounds. (autoEXturbo)

Can't take it back. My friend put the pistons in since he had the tools. I checked his work, and I put the motor together. So I can only kick my self in the ***?

If I have time I'm going to take it to a shop (probably AEBS since they are right down the street). When I get time I'm going to adjust my valves (probably this weekend)

Yesterday it was raining and cold. It took a big load to get it to diesel. Like 20mph and full throttle in 5th. temp gauge was really cool.

Today droping the kids off to school in traffic the temp guage got to where it normally gets to and it was dieseling really easily. Like 10-15 mph 2nd gear and almost full throttle.

Thanks for the responses.

[Modified by gtcali, 9:58 AM 3/5/2003]

Quick Reply: Forged piston sounds.