Notices

foolish downpipe snag

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foolish downpipe snag

so i have a turboed 1996 accord now.
I had a friend of mine fab up the downpipe for it but the only problem we had was that the oil return and the pipe physically touch and there is no way around it unless i pay to have another downpipe made, or get some 'negative' turns in the return line which would lead to a very poor return flow. So I did a layer of heat wrap around the downpipe and put a 500* reflective wrap around the return line. I tried to get as much heat away from the line the as i could. I know it's bad to have the two touching, and as bad of a question this is, how much internal damage am I risking in regards to the turbo?
Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: foolish downpipe snag (accord_raffi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord_raffi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i have a turboed 1996 accord now.
I had a friend of mine fab up the downpipe for it but the only problem we had was that the oil return and the pipe physically touch and there is no way around it unless i pay to have another downpipe made, or get some 'negative' turns in the return line which would lead to a very poor return flow. So I did a layer of heat wrap around the downpipe and put a 500* reflective wrap around the return line. I tried to get as much heat away from the line the as i could. I know it's bad to have the two touching, and as bad of a question this is, how much internal damage am I risking in regards to the turbo?
Thanks for the help guys!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd probably be worried too if I were you. I knew a guy whos oil feed line melted and caught the entire car on fire but I think his issue could have been related to an electrical short touching the stainless steel braid. Either way you wanna be carefull with those lines.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: foolish downpipe snag (EASY101)

I was worried it would melt through at first, but the guys at the exhaust shop looked at it, and they said melting wouldn't be an issue. They said if anything would go through the braids, it would be from friction.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why cut corners for something so trivial, it will cost no doubt but that cost is by far out weight compared to the potential cost you’re going to suffer if the worst happens.

Do it right do it once
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accord_raffi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was worried it would melt through at first, but the guys at the exhaust shop looked at it, and they said melting wouldn't be an issue. They said if anything would go through the braids, it would be from friction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

anything with electrial current touches those stainless braids, melting occurrs pretty quickly.