Notices

FMU set up with injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMU set up with injectors?

IF I went temporarliy FMU set up, should i get larger injectors too? eventually I will get a VAFC or like.

also with the VAFC setup, I dont have to use the fmu then, correct? I have heard of people using an FMU and a controller, and some with just the VAFC. I dont understand this I thought the controller controlled fuel through the injectors, then why do you still need the FMU???

thanks.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:39 AM

Default Re: FMU set up with injectors? (pennhatch)

fmu doesn't need injectors if you are running real low boost remember injectors are a band aid setup imo
Old 06-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU set up with injectors? (primeredbeast)

i ran a 12:1 fmu with stock injectors and then 310cc injectors on my stock ls motor pushing 10psi... no problems
Old 06-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU set up with injectors? (hondaeg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaeg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ran a 12:1 fmu with stock injectors and then 310cc injectors on my stock ls motor pushing 10psi... no problems</TD></TR></TABLE>

so when i have the money for a VAFC, does the FMU go, or can i still use it? what will it do if i keep it? thanks.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU set up with injectors? (pennhatch)

you can still use the FMU but you will need more boost to compinsate. I ran 450cc injectors, afc, 255lph pump, missing link, and FMU for 2.5 years with no issues.

if you have a stock b series vtec motor I would get the inline pro head gasket. on my stock block with that head gasket I ran 17psi on C16 and 14psi daily with the above set up.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: FMU set up with injectors? (BoostR41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostR41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can still use the FMU but you will need more boost to compinsate. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

That makes no sense to me. Could you please elaborate on your reasoning.

To answer your question, if your running small injectors (310cc or so) you can still run a fmu and afc. My old fuel set-up consisted of the following.
4:1 fmu, 310cc injectors and a sfc to fine tune the a/f ratio.
If you want to run the hack then you don't need a fmu. There are several different variations to this kind of set-up, try searching through the archives and your bound to find a few different variations.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMU set up with injectors? (b16ahybrid)

ok what you do is you get a cartech FMU so it is adjustable like a FPR. using the FMU you can dial back injectors on the AFC but I kept it so I didn't mess too much with the afc because of the timing issues you can have with it. my ratio on the FMU was right around 10:1. with it at 10:1 you are maxing the pump out so you get to a set presure. after that boost leans the mixture because you are gettin more air and the same amount of fuel. My af ratio never went leaner than 11.2:1 on that set up.

it is crude and hondata is the way to go but if you use it right it works very well.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostR41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok what you do is you get a cartech FMU so it is adjustable like a FPR. using the FMU you can dial back injectors on the AFC but I kept it so I didn't mess too much with the afc because of the timing issues you can have with it. my ratio on the FMU was right around 10:1. with it at 10:1 you are maxing the pump out so you get to a set presure. after that boost leans the mixture because you are gettin more air and the same amount of fuel. My af ratio never went leaner than 11.2:1 on that set up.

it is crude and hondata is the way to go but if you use it right it works very well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it's the way you word things or maybe it's something else, but your posts are very confusing.
Use a fmu to "dial back injectors on the afc" ??? Your talking about two totally different items here.
I think I understand what your trying to say, but it comes out and mixed together into one thought.
Are you trying to say that you run a fmu with a 10:1 ratio, then use the afc to lean the afr out if you need to?
Either way you are correct about it being a crude way of tuning.
I thought you were trying to say that you up to boost until your top-end is close to ideal a/f ratio. So for instance if your running 310cc injectors 12:1 fmu and 8psi your obviously going to be running pig rich. So instead of changing the fmu ratio you raise the boost to say 12psi so the top-end isn't so rich.

K.I.S.S stick to it and it makes life easier.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend had a similar setup running a fmu,255lph fuel pump, 440cc injectors, and an afc. To tell you the truth it ran like ****. We had the afc set to -50% across the board and it was still insanely rich at part throttle boost and before full boost hit. Its probably because he had to high of a ratio fmu though. Once we switched to uberdata and ditched all that crap the car ran great