Notices

Is fmu good enough engine management for a while?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is fmu good enough engine management for a while?

I have a stock 97' gsr and plan on running a 50 trim t3/t04e garrett turbo at 6-7 psi. I am hoping to have around 225-250whp out of this setup. Now i know that no one likes fmu's and that hondata, aem ems, etc. are the prefered engine management, but I will not have enough money anytime soon to go that route. Aem ems is like $1300 and for me hondata would be at least $700 because i would have to get a new ecu, have it chipped, and get an obd2-obd1 harness and those prices are before tuning. I would go for uberdata but I would only be able to make a basemap for myself, if that, since i have no idea how to tune it (dont you need a wideband o2 which costs more money?) Would it be safe to just run a 12:1 FMU, missing link, and 255 intank fuel pump? This could remain my setup for up to a year, until i save enough for something better, and i want to make sure that it would be safe since this car is my daily driver. thanks
Old 03-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (AirWaveGT)

should be okay as long as you don't go pass 7psi. i'm gonna be running one too on my gsr just get me spoolin. i believe markC ran his turbo motor for about 3 years on an fmu so it should be okay for a year as long as you don't abuse it. also, i would go with an inline pump rather than an intank. hth.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ummm, a year of fmu, IDK man, maybe for a little bit, but I would hold off on turboing the car, until you are closer to having enough for the stand alone. This way your car would only be running with the fmu for a short period of time.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (m R g S r)

well, are there any other fairly cheap alternatives?
Old 03-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

afc hack.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (SuperDuperEG)

wouldnt that still require me to tune it? or is it a lot easier to do than uberdata?
Old 03-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i personnally have no experience with turbocharging whatsoever, i'm just trying to throw you the options that are out there. do a search on the afc hack and uberdata and you will find plenty of info. people have had success with both.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:03 PM

i have been researching but havent found anything that really explained about tuning them.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think you will be alright with the fmu. i would get the 10:1 fmu though if your going to use the intank.

you'll run rich, but you'll be alright.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AirWaveGT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have been researching but havent found anything that really explained about tuning them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

start here http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/
Old 03-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperDuperEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

start here http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your best low buck option, its free hondata

Rob
Old 03-27-2004, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (rjardy)

i would still have to switch from obd2-obd1 for it to work. maybe the afc hack w/ 450 injectors will be better if i have to keep it for a while. Im pretty sure that it would be cheaper than uberdata since i have to switch to obd1
Old 03-27-2004, 02:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperDuperEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go with an inline pump rather than an intank. hth. </TD></TR></TABLE>

just curious as to why you would go with a inline pump as oppose to a 255lph intank?
Old 03-27-2004, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (Cezilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cezilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

just curious as to why you would go with a inline pump as oppose to a 255lph intank?</TD></TR></TABLE>

running an fmu requires high fuel pressures. intanks are usually not designed for the high pressure so an inline is needed. that is why drag kits come with inline pumps.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:26 AM

i have been reading about vafc and some people said it throws cels in obd2 and wont let you tune correctly. Is this true? i hate obd2 , it limits what i can do with my car and makes me spend more to get good engine management.
Old 03-27-2004, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ummm, a year of fmu, IDK man, maybe for a little bit, but I would hold off on turboing the car, until you are closer to having enough for the stand alone. This way your car would only be running with the fmu for a short period of time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

FMU is not perfect but some of you think the car will explode if you run one longer than 2 days. Before there was Hondata and all the stand alones people ran FMU's. They still do run them all the time with great results even on Mustangs and Camaros running well over 10psi. Granted a stand alone or piggyback is still a much better setup but you don't have to have it to turbo your car.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Id run an FMU instead of the AFC hack because of the timing issue. FMU = safer.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AirWaveGT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a stock 97' gsr and plan on running a 50 trim t3/t04e garrett turbo at 6-7 psi. I would go for uberdata but I would only be able to make a basemap for myself, if that, since i have no idea how to tune it (dont you need a wideband o2 which costs more money?) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Although the FMU route will be fine. Like you said, you'll need the FMU, a missing link, and an 255lph intank "high" pressure fuel pump will work fine for you low boost application. However with uberdata...you said you were concerned with making a basemap for yourself...well PM Phiz here on honda-tech. He can help you out! He'll chip and provide a map for you at a low cost. I wouldn't boost on the basemap though, its really just for you to drive it around. After you get your car running, all you have to do is find a good uberdata user closest to you and have him help you out with a street or dyno tune.

My 2 cents,
Khoi

P.S. Go ahead and PM Phiz! He's a great guy and can help you out.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperDuperEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

running an fmu requires high fuel pressures. intanks are usually not designed for the high pressure so an inline is needed. that is why drag kits come with inline pumps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

walbro makes a high pressure 255lph intank pump, so whats the difference between that and a inline?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FMU is not perfect but some of you think the car will explode if you run one longer than 2 days. Before there was Hondata and all the stand alones people ran FMU's. They still do run them all the time with great results even on Mustangs and Camaros running well over 10psi. Granted a stand alone or piggyback is still a much better setup but you don't have to have it to turbo your car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those cars have maf sensors so they see the increased airflow. Because of that, a 4:1 fmu is fine for them. They don't have to deal with the high pressure fuel.

Our cars don't see jack once it goes into boost. That's why we need a lot of pressure.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (Cezilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cezilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

walbro makes a high pressure 255lph intank pump, so whats the difference between that and a inline? </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure what pressure the walbro 255 HP is capable of, but if it's enough to work with a 12:1 fmu then
Old 03-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not sure what pressure the walbro 255 HP is capable of, but if it's enough to work with a 12:1 fmu then </TD></TR></TABLE>

It wont be enough...

Read these two threads in there entirety and you will understand why. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=158293
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=158062

I have been using the 12:1 fmu, inline pump and missing link setup for over two years now without a single issue. I have continued to use it simply because I don't have the time or the money to upgrade to anything else. For what it is, the fmu works and will get you by.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (jeremyG2teg)

Holy **** DUDE!! THIS IS OFF TOPIC BUT YOU HAVE 1,000,205 posts and average 600+ posts a day!!!!!!..ok..back on topic...lol...the intank high pressure pump will work fine with the FMU. I have a friend running the same setup on his Type R. Its been working great for him.

Khoi
Old 03-27-2004, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for that boost level....keep the fmu + intank and/or inline + stock injectors + AFC + missing link and you'll be completely fine. Trim the fuel with the afc and you should be set. If i was running that low of a boost i'd just stick with the traditional setup...it works!
Old 03-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while? (Sohc Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the intank high pressure pump will work fine with the FMU. I have a friend running the same setup on his Type R. Its been working great for him.

Khoi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please read the two threads that I posted above and then tell us why you think the statements found in them are incorrect.

The whole "I have a friend who once told me that his brother-in-law saw a guy who..." bit will only get you so far. Offer up sound and logical facts to support your claims.

Quick Reply: Is fmu good enough engine management for a while?