Notices

FMIC ducting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC ducting?

just had an idea and wanted opinions from you guys. i dont know if anyone had tried this or if its even worth doing, but anyway..

i mounted my spearco FMIC and its a bit shorter than my old 6in jrc one so there is a big gap between the fmic and the edges of the grill. i was thinking of taking some thin pieces of plastic to block off those gaps and maybe the top and bottom of the intercooler too. sort of creating a ram-air effect. the air will have nowhere to go but through the intercooler.

my coolant temps are a little bit hotter than normal with the IC mounted (i'm NA right now, just testing temps w/ intercooler in place) i also have my oil cooler mounted right in front of my radiator (because when i had it mounted beside my radiator it looked like it would get in the way of the wastegate with a ramhorn mani). i dont know if that's a good idea or not. what do you guys think?

waste of time or worth trying?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMIC ducting? (DC2xSiR)

I have thought about this too. It is sort of a funnel effect. From general knowledge it would seem to be a good idea.

For example, most know that when using a half size radiator with no object to the side of it (AC condensor), the air will follow the path of least resistance. The radiator wont get as much optimal flow and a plate to block the air is placed there.

So if some fabbing was created it would see to direct the air trough all the coolers needed : IC, radiator, AC for some, and oil cooler for some as well.

If you have a datalogger of some sort, try this out and fab up some sheet metal or something. Then record if your IAT's go down and try to tell if your oil gets any cooler, if you have a gauge.

GL
Old 12-03-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: FMIC ducting? (Riake)

i dont have data logging but i do have a water temp and oil temp gauge. i will probably mock it up with come cardboard and then use sheet metal. if it doesnt look like crap, ill post pics. haha.