Notices

FMAX Kit Limitations? / A few Q's on the boosted H22A1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMAX Kit Limitations? / A few Q's on the boosted H22A1

Since I have a high mileage motor, I am going to rebuild it in the coming months before I boost it. I'm sending it to GE to resleeve, JE 10:1 Pistons, and Crower Rods.

Now that the motor is built...how much boost can I run with the FMAX kit? At what boost level will the standard parts on the kit not enough and must be upgraded, and which parts will i need to upgrade first?

Another thing...since I live in Cali i am limited to 91 octane how muuch boost can i run without the aid of octane boosters?

Also...I have seen that my poor old H22A has a pretty bad reputation for handling boost. A lot of the horror stories I see come from H22A4's, will my H22A1 suffer the same fate? I will be playing this safe, I am going to go with Hondata and a reputable tuner (Motorsport Dynamics) is a few mins away. I also realize that my current cam's have a lot of overlap, not too boost friendly...has anyone tried the FI Crower cams? Any other reccomendations? I will eventually upgrade the cams but I am not made out of money will i be alright with the stock ones for now?

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks for the help guys, I have learned SO much from just sitting back and reading these boards for the past few months

[Modified by Teen Heartthrob, 12:35 AM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-28-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMAX Kit Limitations? / A few Q's on the boosted H22A1 (Teen Heartthrob)

For the Prelude, I can honestly say that the FMAX is the best ready made kit out there. I have seen examples of several installs and the FMAX (on a Prelude) looked the best. Here is a page I found back while I was researching various kits:
http://prelude.vtec.net/gen5/performance/forced/fmax/

There was another website made by a member of HT, but I think its in construction now....
http://www.turboprelude.com

don't know about power output...gotta ask these folks...I have the only Fmax ITR...and its great...very quick spools and very good torque...do the research!
Old 04-28-2002, 05:07 PM
New User

Default Re: FMAX Kit Limitations? / A few Q's on the boosted H22A1 (Teen Heartthrob)

The biggest problem with the fmax kit for the h22a is that the turbo is too small...it comes with a T3/T04B .63 exhaust and .50 compressor. The compressor is too small...although it spools up fast (almost no lag) the power tops off almost just as fast. With the bottom end rebuilt, you can boost up to 20 pounds which means you probably want a bigger turbo. Problem with getting a bigger turbo with the fmax kit is that the T3/T04B is the biggest one that will fit with the fmax turbo manifold (i'm assuming the motor mounts are the same on all h22a's), thus the intercooler piping will have to be custom as well if you go with a different manifold. In your case i would go with a custom kit since i assume you will get a standalone like Hondata for your fuel management and an MSD for your ignition. Go custom, you will pay more now, but you will probably end up paying more later if you get the fmax kit. As for cams, stock cams are the best you can do for FI...just get some cam gears to dial out overlap, that will give you at least 10-15whp.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:45 PM

Default Re: FMAX Kit Limitations? / A few Q's on the boosted H22A1 (smoothludey2)

the turbo and fuel setup on the fmax is the biggest limitation....i'm upgrading to a T3/T4E 60 trim w/0.60 a/r and Stage 3 w/0.63 a/r...clearance is going to be a little bit tight between stock rad. fan and turbo, but i got some Spal slimline fans to remedy this...i'm going to do the vafc hack w/larger injectors for now whenever my head comes back and go hondata at the end of summer
Old 04-28-2002, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FMAX Kit Limitations? / A few Q's on the boosted H22A1 (Quaalude)

The MF2 and the extra injectors are just complete crap, but you can buy the kit without them....I would save that cash for a good stand alone. I'm about to take a hacksaw to the injector bungs real soon....
Old 04-28-2002, 06:46 PM
New User

yo, how are you going to make the E turbo fit without hitting the motor mount? You getting a different manifold? The B turbo clears the mount by 1 cm or less.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:00 PM

thanks for all the help guys.

Damn, i was really hoping i would not have to go custom...but i guess it was inevitable. There is no way to upgrade the turbo with the fmax manifold? or perhaps just replace the manifold and turbo?

*throws his wallet in the trash*

Ok...so

any reccomendations on a manifold? turbo? intercooler?
can i have a shop weld the rest of the piping?
anything else im missing? (besides plumbing, bov etc.)
I havent done much research on individual parts, i was hoping to just get a kit...

anyways, thanks for all your help guys!

oh yes..and what would be the boost limit on 91 octane @ 10:1 CR?

[Modified by Teen Heartthrob, 6:01 AM 4/30/2002]

[Modified by Teen Heartthrob, 6:14 AM 4/30/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 08:54 AM

bump..
Old 04-30-2002, 03:27 PM

....anyone?
Old 04-30-2002, 04:19 PM
New User

parts you need:

1. Hondata
2. MSD Digital 6 w/MSD HVC
3. Kiwi manifold
4. T04 turbo
5. Skyline intercooler
6. AEM fuel rail/AEM fpr
7. Walbro 255lph intank fuel pump
8. RC 550cc injectors w/resistor box
Old 04-30-2002, 10:13 PM

Default Re: FMAX Kit Limitations? / A few Q's on the boosted H22A1 (smoothludey2)

thanks for the tips, any more specifications on the turbo?
i heard the kiwi manifold isnt sold anymore?
also, where could i get a skyline intercooler (junkyard maybe?)

sorry if i sound like a pesky newbie, much appreciated

[Modified by Teen Heartthrob, 7:17 AM 5/1/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 10:29 PM
New User

I went custom with my kit and am very pleased with the results. It's more of a headache but you learn a lot along the way and get to choose every part. Piping can be made by any custom exhaust place - I was worried about how this would work out too, but everything turned out great. As for the intercooler, you can get a xs skyline core from http://www.xs-engineering.com - it's a nice looking intercooler. If you are located in the US, I don't know how many skylines you are going to find sitting around in junkyards.

Also, why are you going with 10:1 pistons? I know they are fine with good tuning, but I personally prefer the added safety of a slightly lower comp piston.