Notices

First time turbocharging, require experienced advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First time turbocharging, require experienced advice

I've been checking out the post's here and you all seem to have sick setups, here's mine :

starting out with civic 3dr dx with swapped single cam ZC engine, converted to OBD2, witch possibly has a cam (not sure never checked)

got a turbo "kit" from a buddy includes :

- 255 fuel pump
- 12:1 FMU
- 2 stock T25 turbo's with internal wastgate from Nissan 300 ZX
- some kind of Audi side mount intercooler
- eBay knock off cast iron T3 manifold
- set of stock H22 injectors

still looking for recirculating BOV

What I'm not clear on is, can I run stock Civic oil pressure into that turbo?
Where would the BOV recirculate to? Before or after the compressor?
Will the H22 injectors be enought? Or do I still need a resistor box?
What is a Map sensor bypass valve for? And will i need one?

And finaly is there anything else I'm going to need that haven't mentionned?

Thank you verry much and I'll try to get some pics up of my stuff and of the build, aiming to get everything done by the end of this month.

Modified by i-VTEC_do_you at 1:05 PM 8/10/2008
Old 08-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time turbocharging, require experienced advice (i-VTEC_do_you)

if you have never done this before. i would 1st suggest looking through here to grasp some knowledge of the subject at hand.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1024174
Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time turbocharging, require experienced advice (DaveF)

Cool thx man, I found some answers. Still unclear on how much oil pressure to run this turbo on. I'd like to know if my ZC oil pressure is too high for my bushing turbo oil seals?

Anyway I got to work on putting the puzzle together. Bolted the turbo and manifold to the car, even found the perfect place to install my intercooler.

I got lucky with the tubo outlet, I have a choice of two oulets, a 90 degree and a 45, the 45 just clears th T braket for the rad support.

Clears by about a half inch!

The intercooler is exactly the way i hoped it would fit, it's right in plane sight but barely noticable. I hong it in place with wire until a fab up brakets

THE BEST VIEW IS TROUGH THE BUMPER

The charge piping will run above the bumper beam and will be painted black to blend in.

Quickly installed the coolant line on the turbo to get an idea of how I was to get coolant from the back of the motor to the front.

Lastly I was abble to plan out the charge piping route, so I'll need to get that
ordered up next.

Got my intercooler brakets fabed up

Modified by i-VTEC_do_you at 6:06 PM 8/27/2008
Old 08-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time turbocharging, require experienced advice (i-VTEC_do_you)

OK! I think I anwsered my own question when it comes to the oiling of the turbo. I had the idea to check on Mitchell On Demand, looked up a 92 Civic Si : oil pressure at idle is minimum 10 psi and 45 - 55 psi at 3500 rpm. Then I looked up a 91 300ZX turbo : oil pressure at idle is minimum 8 psi and minimum 50 psi at 3000 rpm.

If I interpret this correctly, as long as I use the original oil feed line and the original oil return size (or bigger), I shouldn't have any oil pressure problems with the turbo.

If ANYONE see's a flaw in my reasoning please let me know.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run a T fitting off the back of the block where the stock oil press sensor it. u can get the parts to make one at home depot or buy a kit online ebay for cheap , when i ran a homemade setup i made the T and put a barb fitting on the end of it and ran a OIL grade rubber hose up to the turbo and also put a barb fitting on the turbo and it was fine. but make sure the rubber line is small. comparable to a -3 or -4 an stainless size hose. or just run a stainless. u wont have any oiling problems. use a restrictor or make one if u go with teh -4 an size. you dont need to recirculate the BOV , let it vent to air. and stock injectors will be fine. expecially with FMU 12:1 u want to use stock ones.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that intercooler looks awsome in that location for the sleeper ek
Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time turbocharging, require experienced advice (97grnrs)

Thanks for the advice 97grnrs

I was planning on using the original turbo oil line, witch you can see in the last pic, it looks like a brake line fitting. That should be the size i need to run to it and should act as a restrictor right?

Ya the BOV recirculating is because I can't stand the sound of it.

When you said stock injectors, did you mean the H22 ones or the Civic ones?

Thanks Radyjr, it surprisingly fits really well, and ya I love the sleeper look!

Modified by i-VTEC_do_you at 5:47 PM 8/17/2008
Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO i would ditch the FMU and i would get crome or something to that effect if you dont want to spend a lot of money, and hopefully tune it correctly.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First time turbocharging, require experienced advice (omiehomie)

Ya I get what you mean, but I allready have the FMU, it came as a package with the fuel pump, turbo, intercooler...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I too would advise against the FMU even if you do already have it.

But if you are going to use it anyway you might be well served to read this guys observations -> https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1426775

You'll need to be able to pull timing per lb of boost so you might consider running an MSD BTM like he is doing.

Also, make sure you at least check out what that FMU is doing to your Air Fuel Ratio with a wide band even if you have to rent or bum one. It could be crazy rich or way lean, its just guessing unless you monitor it at least once. And your motor won't handle very many lean pulls, especially without timing control.

Good luck
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM

standard rule of thumb as I have heard it should be about 10 psi more for every additional 1000 rpm (i.e. 50 psi at 5000 rpm)