Notices

first time boosting questions lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time boosting questions lol

hey got my drag generation 3 kit and installing it this weekend few q? tho....

when instaled can my car run fine with FMU stock ecu and stock injectors?

can i run it normal ie using boost n vtec ect with stock ecu n injecotrs?

or will it be better waiting ill i get an ecu upgrade for it?

thanks for the help lisa

ps its for a 1994 eg6
Old 01-26-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Re: first time boosting questions lol (egVTI)

i would at least get injectors. how much boost do you plan on running?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two choices......

1) If you got the kit new then it should come with all that is needed to make your car run reliably (@ the recommended boost level of course). Install as directed in the manual and it should all be fine.

2) If you up the boost (and you will, cause it's addicting) it would be a better idea to get rid of the whole fmu crap and buy a high flow fuel pump (search for this and you will find lots of topic about it, make sure you check the archived box).

Also get some bigger injectors, an inexpensive alternative is some eclipse 450cc injectors (often called dsm injectors) for ~$60 and a resistor box (search on this as well, you will find out exactly how to wire the box) for ~$10-$15 @ a junkyard or on ebay. A better alternative is to buy a new set of injectors from rc engineering or precision (other make them as well). Prolly 550cc injectors would be all you will need for a while (make sure these are saturated, you can read up to understand what I mean, but you will need these if you do not have a resistor box).

Get a chipped ecu to run crome (it is an inexpensive way to have you car reliably tuned, especially for the power levels that you will likely be seeing) there are many people on h-t who do this and you could find more on http://www.pgmfi.org as well as lots of information and people who are willing to help you understand the engine management aspect (with respect to crome, uberdata and other freeware programs) of your car.

Then find a reputable tuner who tunes crome to tune your car, then tow your car there when all the upgrades are installed and have fun after. FYI - the tuning will prolly cost you $300-$450. Dyno time will be shorter if all your stuff (meaning the condition of your engine/components) are doing what they should before you have your car towed to the shop. This will require a lot of research and work on your part. GL.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 PM

get injectors for sure
Old 01-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: first time boosting questions lol (InfamousDC2FI)

hey ive ordered rc 550cc but was told not to installed them till im ready for an ecu upgrade as it would over fuel

im planning on running 7psi max

the kit came with an uprated fuel pump to
Old 01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely don't use the new injectors until you have a chipped ECU. Using them with the FMU will make it run extremely rich.

The fuel pump that came with the kit is probably an inline pump, which is fine for an FMU setup. Once you get your ECU and new injectors installed though, you'll want to ditch the inline pump and get a high flow in-tank pump.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:06 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (bubs)

Here the answer u were ask at the top

I say don't put that inline pump cuz later on u will b using a bigger injector and ecu

It ok to run the stock injectors and ecu just stay out of boost for awhile then when u get everything u need then go tune it and that's it stump on itanytime but their a lot more thing s u need to know

List of what u need to buy
440cc injector
Intank fuel pump
Chipped ecu (uberdata,crome,hondata)
Catch can
I forgot the rest but yea

Search more and good luck bro
Old 01-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon95eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here the answer u were ask at the top</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egVTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey got my drag generation 3 kit and installing it this weekend few q? tho....

when instaled can my car run fine with FMU stock ecu and stock injectors?

can i run it normal ie using boost n vtec ect with stock ecu n injecotrs?

or will it be better waiting ill i get an ecu upgrade for it?

thanks for the help lisa

ps its for a 1994 eg6</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I understand SHE has a KIT, she is not upgrading the parts of a kit and if she is that is what option #2 above in my first post was about. If she has a complete kit......install and be done, if not she should more accurately describe what her question is.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: first time boosting questions lol (KeyserSoze)

i have ditched the iline fuel pump n bought an upgraded in tank one
Old 01-27-2006, 01:18 AM

What Keysersoze said is actually an optimal method for getting a reliable fast car...that's not too expensive. And what's mentioned is also true...everything you have for the Drag kit is designed to work reliably...so long as you follow the directions (which means, stay within the boost limit and maintenance issues). However, if you'd like to push it a bit more, getting an upgraded fuel system will definitely help out.

An in tank fuel pump is awesome...cheap insurance...550cc injectors are great (I'm running them now)...but keep in mind that the higher you go in upgrading the fuel injectors, the richer your fuel output will be and it'll be more difficult to have it idle...not saying it's not possible, but it's difficult, especially without a tune. (which is why you shouldn't start your car with these injectors without chipping your ecu...otherwise, your car will stall, and your spark plugs will be burnt within seconds.

I'd recommend crome for engine management...not because I'm running it, but because of how cheap and user-friendly the program is compared to others of comparable price.

Best of luck on the build, and let us know how it goes!