Notices

First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe?

yo guy's well after a long winter of rebuild yesterday was the day that I finanly put my battery back in and turned the key.

She turns over but no go.

The setup is this:

P28 with Uberchip
450cc dsm injectors
resistor box

Now at first I though it was the ecu so I plugged it into another civic I had there and it started, as well I took a stock ecu and plugged it into my car and still no start.

So I have it down to the injectors and resistor box. I doubt its the injectors as I just had them sent away and clean and ****. So I'm thinking its the injector box. I never had my meter with me to test the damn thing.

So when I start the car she just turns over, and the fuel pressure gage stays pinned at like 40 psi (38-39 what ever). And I can smell fuel.

Any one have any suggestions? I'm going to check the resistance over the resistor box today and see what it comes up with. It should be 7-8ohms right?

So if the resistor box wasen't working what would happen? And if I take it out and wire the resistor in with out it what would happen?
Old 05-25-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (Hybrid)

Sounds like a wiring problem. How did you wire them up? Resistor box should read 6-8 ohms.

Sonny
Old 05-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Banned

Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (Sonny)

Edit... nevermind... this is what I get when I don't fully read your post...

Make sure the injectors are not stuck shut with dried fuel goo. That happened to me... it started but only on two cylinders, I'm thinking, "What the f**km now what". The give away was the two cold header pipes, telling me which were dead. Take out the injectors and clean the tips with acetone.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:34 AM

Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (kb58)

The injectors are fresh as I just had them proffesionally cleaned at a shop, they are like new.

I hope its the damn resistor box! I've put so much time and energy into th this **** its not even funny, plus the nagging from the woman (which is understanable).

I wired up the resistor box just like all the diagrams, but I never tested it. I'm going to take all the wiring apart again today and recheck my connections and the resistance from the box. Before I do that I'll try to start her again and then haul the plugs to see if they are wet from fuel at all.

But if the resistor box was crap would they open and let any fuel out at all? Too much, too little, or non at all? What would happen if I took the box out and tried it?
Old 05-25-2003, 06:48 AM

BTW the resistor box I'm using is a very small unit

You can see it there, the little black box with wires.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:52 AM
big strong guy

Are those Butt-Connectors I see?

Eric
Old 05-25-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (rainmanEK)

nope, soldered, hot shrink and electrical tape.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:30 AM

i think u used to much tape.....take it off and hit it with some black tape and it will look a lot better
Old 05-25-2003, 08:18 AM

Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (BrokenVtec)

I have it all tucked away right nicely now, but it will all be coming apart again I guess to check out the problem.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:06 AM

you definately need your resistor box or you will burn the output on the ecu...don't run without it.

if after checking your box and wiring and if you have a lot of fuel smell pull your plugs and let the cylinders dry out overnight. if you can check your compression do that too. i had the same problem when i put my kit together and it was running way too rich and flooded my engine and washed the cylinders of oil. i couldn't get it started after getting the downpipe on and it sitting for 2 days at the muffler shop. you might not be getting any compression to get it started. after letting the cylinders dry put a tsp of oil (don't put anymore than that) down each plug hole and let it sit for an hour or two to coat the cylinders. put plugs back in and when you go to start your car do not just turn the key. turn it to on until you hear your fuel pump stop priming (10-15 seconds). then crank it over. once it starts you will burn off all the oil so make sure you have a fan in your garage blowing all it out. good luck.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (scttydb411)

So any way I cut out all the wiring and rewired every thing. Car starts.

However after rechecking my timing after a bad bad idle I looked at my manifold runner for #3 cyl, the paint was not as hot as the rest. So I take # three plug out and its dry, indicating to me no fuel. So I put it back and start the car, it starts, I pull # three wire and she don't change, again indicating no # three cyl.

So I recheck the connection and it still, it no work. So I start the car and and its the same, this time I haul # three injector plug and nothing happens, again indicating # three don't work. I also hauled the.................lots of spark.

So I'm not getting any fuel into # 3. So its either a bad connection to the resistor box or I have a bad injectors. I'm also getting a check engine light (all my sensors plugged in)

Now I had these injectors out for service so they should be like knew? If it possible for them to clean them with out them working?

Other than that every thing else with the set up seemed fine.

None the less it was nice to finally hear the car rumble to life..............especially with the open DP.

I can't wait to get this problem resolved and run her up.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:30 PM
New User

Good luck, hope it isn't a dead injector.......but I guess it could be worse. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:16 PM

take the injector out and get a 9 volt battery and some wire. touch the leads like you would to test a speaker. if it clicks it's ok. take a volt meter and check the connector on the car to see if it's getting voltage/or to an ohm test. good luck.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (scttydb411)

just go buy some resistors and wire them in.(its like $2.00 and they are new)
Old 05-26-2003, 04:21 AM

Default Re: First start of the year = no start, resistor box maybe? (SiRkid)

Yeah I'm going to do the resisor thing.

however, if I had my injectors all cleaned and serviced woulden't they have picked up on a bad injector then? I'm just trying to limit it out. I really hope its just wiring.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:20 AM

bump