Notices

finishing up my turbo setup. need some help? engine management/ injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
ludetech

Default finishing up my turbo setup. need some help? engine management/ injectors

Im really sorry if this is a repost please dont ask me to search because I would spend 10 times as much time fanning through the crap when I can just ask straight to the point questions.

I've done a bit of research on the hondata and the aem ems, and they both seem to be good units when in the right hands. If either are tuned properly they should perform great. well I am considering uberdata now because its super cheap, I understand its pretty much the same as hondata except hondata is a bit more refined. Im not to sure in which ways but also I know Uberdata is just the software and you have to buy a bunch of stuff to peice it together to burn chips. Im not sure exactly what all is involved in this if anyone would like to expand on this, great. I beleive I could tune my car also I have a very good understanding of basic tuning.

Here are my goals, for now I want to get my turbo kit running and boosting so I can work out the kinks on this motor I have now at about 5 psi. After this motor is gone or I have enough to buy a new one I will buy a jdm h22 with lsd tran and remove the atts completely. after I put in the new motor I plan on retuning it at about 8 psi and runing that for a while until it pops then I will rebuild the block and boost 12-14 psi. Thats my final goal is 14 psi. or around 450whp street driven on 92 octane.

here is my setup
I have a 2000 sh prelude

onefab series 1 manifold
onefab 3" downpipe 3"exhaust 3"
apexi n1 turbo muffler
precision sc-61
tial 38mm wastegate
blitz dd blow off valve
greddy electronic egt and boost gauges
greddy turbo timer
walbro 255 lb fuel pump
pwr civic dual core radiator with fal fan
pwr 550hp intercooler
taylor batery relocation
sx fuel pressure regulator

things I still beleive I need but dont fully understand

injectors. I don't know which ones are desired for my application.
dsm 450's with resistor box but I have no idea how to wire it and how exactly the resistor box works
or rc's I dont know if i need anything special ( low impedence, peak and hold. etc.) I dont really know what the differences are here

and a high hp fuel rail str/aem/golden eagle
fuel pressure gauge
etc.

and a plx m-500 wideband with datalogging. < another part that I am 100% sure I am buying.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: finishing up my turbo setup. need some help? engine management/ injectors (ludetech)

To simplify things you should just get some RC saturated/high impedance injectors and not worry about the resistor boxes. For your HP goals I would go with the 750cc injectors which run about $320. If you don't want to spend the extra $50 you can get any size up to 550cc for about $275 but can't guarantee you'll hit your HP goal without running out of injector duty.

Since you're in Washington state, I would go with the AEM EMS. You have a great local tuner in Sean McElderry at Torquefreaks. Hondata would work too but AEM gives you so much more control. However there is a drawback in that the learning curve of the AEM is very steep.

Old 10-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

preludes have peak n hold injectors, at least the 92-96 ludes do
Old 10-06-2004, 07:53 AM
ludetech

Default Re: finishing up my turbo setup. need some help? engine management/ injectors (iiilgsrlll)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iiilgsrlll &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To simplify things you should just get some RC saturated/high impedance injectors and not worry about the resistor boxes. For your HP goals I would go with the 750cc injectors which run about $320. If you don't want to spend the extra $50 you can get any size up to 550cc for about $275 but can't guarantee you'll hit your HP goal without running out of injector duty.

Since you're in Washington state, I would go with the AEM EMS. You have a great local tuner in Sean McElderry at Torquefreaks. Hondata would work too but AEM gives you so much more control. However there is a drawback in that the learning curve of the AEM is very steep.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would be more inclined to use the aem ems if it didnt cost 1300$. Also I was originaly planning on tuning it at torque freaks but they wanted to charge me 950$ for a full tune. They also talked to me about initial start up and instalation and they basicaly scared me shitless in installing it myself. talking about jumpers and frying boards if I dont get it right. So I asked them how much installation would be and they tacked on another 500$, so they want 1450$ to install and tune my ems. to me thats just ******* retardedly expensive.

also I was under the impression I couldnt run anything larger than 550cc injectors on a piggy back engine management setup.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:09 AM

good luck with it
Old 10-06-2004, 08:10 AM
ludetech

Default Re: (cslau)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cslau &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good luck with it</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, any tips from any of the people have done obd2 preludes under boost I am very open righ now to opinions
Old 10-06-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (poid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">preludes have peak n hold injectors, at least the 92-96 ludes do</TD></TR></TABLE>

Newer Preludes are saturated.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: finishing up my turbo setup. need some help? engine management/ injectors (ludetech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludetech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would be more inclined to use the aem ems if it didnt cost 1300$. Also I was originaly planning on tuning it at torque freaks but they wanted to charge me 950$ for a full tune. They also talked to me about initial start up and instalation and they basicaly scared me shitless in installing it myself. talking about jumpers and frying boards if I dont get it right. So I asked them how much installation would be and they tacked on another 500$, so they want 1450$ to install and tune my ems. to me thats just ******* retardedly expensive.

also I was under the impression I couldnt run anything larger than 550cc injectors on a piggy back engine management setup. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow I thought the $950 was for them to fly out to you. I think if you were to bring your car there it wouldn't take anymore than 3 hours for a full tune at about $150/hr . Shawn Church was able to do mine in less than 2 hours.

The installation, however, is ridiculous. I don't see how it costs $500 to plug in 3 plugs. There are no jumpers lol. Even loading a basemap doesn't take more than 15 minutes. Look into getting a used AEM EMS. If you can get a 30-1010 box cheap enough then I'd say go for it.

You should be able to run whatever type injectors the AEM or Hondata will support. I have 750's in my car and they idle fine. Just make sure you have the correct offsets, etc. Either way you can't go wrong. Just pick whatever one works best for your goals.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:42 AM
ludetech

I called torque freaks and talked to a fella and he said it costs 950$ for a full tune and they have to have my car for a couple days.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Soundslike your in a little bit of a flump. Well first off, if you want to tune your car yourself, dont....unless you completely know and understand how to tune. Second, injectors you need high impedence/saturated injectors, to use low impedence/peak and hold injectors you would need to wire up a resistor box, which is just pointless because if you get bigger saturated injectors you have to pull all that crap out. 3rd, i dont reccomend running 750cc injectors if your only going to be boosting 7psi. If you need injectors, i have 460cc saturated injectors from a FC RX-7 I will sell them cheap if your interested. They will be more than enough for 7psi, along with your fuel pump, and FPR.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:22 AM
ludetech

Default Re: (RedNeckTruckDriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedNeckTruckDriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well we know what your not going to do
That is BS, torque freaks can do better than that.
You can get an aem ems for 1000-1100 used on here.
Also if you want 450HP get 750cc saturated injectors. No resistors needed!
Don’t spend more than about 500$ on a tune for low and high boost.
75-150$ an hour is about right and make sure you get a street and dyno tune or get it done on a dynapack or mustang dyno with loading.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I dont mind spending 650$ on a tune if its going to be reliable. also I can get ems for 1200$ brand new. also they tune it at idle/cruizing/wot/ etc I know they make the car run like it was stock with turbo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicGSR225 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Soundslike your in a little bit of a flump. Well first off, if you want to tune your car yourself, dont....unless you completely know and understand how to tune. Second, injectors you need high impedence/saturated injectors, to use low impedence/peak and hold injectors you would need to wire up a resistor box, which is just pointless because if you get bigger saturated injectors you have to pull all that crap out. 3rd, i dont reccomend running 750cc injectors if your only going to be boosting 7psi. If you need injectors, i have 460cc saturated injectors from a FC RX-7 I will sell them cheap if your interested. They will be more than enough for 7psi, along with your fuel pump, and FPR. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how much for the injectors and do i need a resistor boxfor those 460's? I am very interested I may buy these well for now at least

Modified by ludetech at 11:51 AM 10/6/2004
Old 10-06-2004, 12:22 PM
ludetech

quick bump, thanks