Filter on turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Filter on turbo?

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
I always cringe when I see people using screens and hose clamps
I've seen more than one turbo ingest the screen. No thanks...

I would consider this though: Xenocron Tuning: Xenocron Turbo filter #[tf212]
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That seems like it'd do a great job of sucking water straight up off the pavement.
I would literally have to drive through foot deep water for that to reach the bottom of the filter. If it was an emergency, it would be easy to pull the coupler off. The frame and intercooler block it from rain. I've had my filter in that location for a few years now.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Schister66
I've seen more than one turbo ingest the screen. No thanks...

I would consider this though: Xenocron Tuning: Xenocron Turbo filter #[tf212]
Those are exactly the ones that get ingested

The better ones are from Turbo-Guard, although I'd still never run a screen period. But my domestic constituents have great success with this company for several years, and they invest 3 times as much more on turbochargers than the Honda community at large.

Standard Screen

Turbo-Maxx

Here's the site itself.
Turbo-Guard » Turbo & Supercharger Mesh Screen Filter
Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Those are exactly the ones that get ingested
Its a formed metal screen...how is it going to get ingested exactly? The shitty ones i'm referring to are literally screen (for screen doors) held together with a worm clamp over the inlet.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Schister66
Its a formed metal screen...how is it going to get ingested exactly? The shitty ones i'm referring to are literally screen (for screen doors) held together with a worm clamp over the inlet.
I know exactly what it is.. From several turbochargers I've had to repair /replace it was from this product. But in all fairness, Xenocron has warned people about how its not a warrantiable item simple because the possibility existed that with the right conditions, this screen could be sucked in.

I'm looking at more material construction overall, not just the screen itself.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Man U FTW

^^Well, good to know. I'll mark that off my list. I thought it seemed like a reasonable alternative at first.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I couldn't agree LESS... The synthetic dry flows also tend to break apart and enter into the compressor wheel itself when using efficient turbochargers. Especially the smaller ones. Ask Californiadad when he used one of those AEM Dry Flows on his Surfer.

A good standard K&N Oiled filter is fine. The over-oiling problem only occurs when people get over-zealous during cleaning.

Dammit, I installed an AEM Dry Flow on my GReddy kit to replace the Airinx filter it comes with. Guess I'd better keep an eye on it.

Of course, you can always use a kitchen sink strainer and sell them for $40 a pop like this guy

Trackforged Turbo Screen! - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
Old 09-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wahski
Dammit, I installed an AEM Dry Flow on my GReddy kit to replace the Airinx filter it comes with. Guess I'd better keep an eye on it.

Of course, you can always use a kitchen sink strainer and sell them for $40 a pop like this guy

Trackforged Turbo Screen! - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums
Oh wow
Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Not to mention a significant aesthetic improvement over a normal filter."

The sewer-pipe coupler looks like poop.

10 hp gain, lol
Old 09-28-2015, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is my setup. I ordered it with my kit from GAW. As stated earlier, I live in the country and go down dirt roads on occasion...plus the ef bay is cramped as hell.
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going backdoor gave me some flexibility to do cold air.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we're on the subject, is it bad to have the filter right behind the radiator? My turbo kit originally came with a heat shield that goes between the rad and the intake but since I bought the kit used it didn't come with one. Just curious if there noticeable performance loss or risk of damage having the intake blasted by hot air all the time.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:54 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Originally Posted by B and B
"Not to mention a significant aesthetic improvement over a normal filter."

The sewer-pipe coupler looks like poop.

10 hp gain, lol
And all the people practically sucking his dick over it
Old 09-28-2015, 10:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Having your filter behind the radiator isn't doing you any favors but then again neither is having it in the engine bay.

Think about how hot coolant is at operating temp. Now realize that the air exiting the radiator is nearly that hot. Feeding a turbocharger hot air results in extremely high compressor outlet temps, much hotter than if you fed it near ambient air, now realize that the intercooler has to work even harder to cool that superheated air. Depending on core size that extra heat can easily render an intercooler heatsoaked and useless. All of this leads to higher than ideal IATs.

Same thing applies to a filter within the engine bay. Think about the wave of heat that hits you in the face when you pop the hood after a long drive. That is what the air filter is sucking in.

The colder the air you can supply to the turbocharger the more efficiently it operates and the lower the compressor outlet temps will be.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah its like going from driving in the summer time to driving in the winter time and how that that affects how a turbo car feels.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:10 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can see the logic behind that shaped screen though.

Being an industrial grade sink strainer means it's made out of a higher grade SS that is slightly thicker. Also since it's one formed piece with a somewhat conical shape means it's not only rigid and likely wouldn't deform under high airflow conditions but it has considerably larger surface area than a flat piece of screen. So even though that screen size occupies a large amount of the available airspace the extra material and shape make up for that.

Plus using a commonly available strainer like that means if you should ever damage or lose one it isn't hard or expensive to replace.

And that isn't a Home Depot rubber clamp. It's a machined nylon ring with an inner groove to positively retain the screen. The theory behind it is solid and is proved by the power gains if the testing was done on the level.

For 99% of the people that live in urban areas with a typical filter inside engine bay setup would rarely be in a situation where any significant amount of dirt, dust, and debris would be ingested by the turbocharger. Now if your filter/intake is located somewhere else or near the ground then that is a different story.

Just remember that whenever you encounter a setup where the air filter is a restriction means that the filter is severely undersized for the application. This mostly happens due to space constraints or not fabricating a proper intake off of the turbocharger.

Like with my builds I'll be building a proper air box to feed the turbocharger that draws air outside the engine bay at the high pressure area in front of the bumper. That design factor along with an adequately sized filter would feed the turbocharger the coldest air possible (boxes will have heat reflective material on every surface exposed to higher than ambient temps) at all speeds with the added benefit of pressurizing the air box at high speeds, without being highly restrictive.

Without the OP giving us measurements of his available space and how the turbocharger is located, along with photos, it's going to be hard to advise on a suitable filter.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now that I have deleted my p/s, I definitely have the room to put the filter right off the turbo. But Im thinking its better off where it is for air temps and to help smooth the airflow out before the inlet. Am I wrong in my thinking?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Now that I have deleted my p/s, I definitely have the room to put the filter right off the turbo. But Im thinking its better off where it is for air temps and to help smooth the airflow out before the inlet. Am I wrong in my thinking?
You're absolutely right. It's always a bit better to have some sort of extension to draw in the air, and not the turbo directly from the filter itself. The differences are rather minor, but it does help with the turbocharger to recover spool a bit faster.

If it ain't broke... don't fix it.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Global Moderator

Just wanted to give an update and a part number for future reference for anyone who may need a 4 inch filter.. that being one of the most compatible on the market... Thanks to greg @ go autoworks for the help.

K&N Filter Part number - RU 2510

Now i am needing something to wrap my oil feed line and vacuum line that is closest to the turbo manifold without breaking my bank.. anyone know where i could get a section of something possibly a foot long? Anybody have any extra laying around for sale?

Right now my feed line is about 3.5 inches away from the manifold
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2015, 01:02 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Check out Hose Candy, Jimmy.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 PM

Or even Summit has great thermal sleeving.

Heatshield Products HP Thermal Sleeving 204002 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Heatshield Products Fire Shield Sleeves 210040 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Old 10-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using the summit brand I believe
Old 10-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Global Moderator

Check out Hose Candy, Jimmy.
Originally Posted by LightningTeg

I'm using the summit brand I believe
Nice.. it's fairly priced too. Should i put the sleeving around the 1/4 vacuum line and oil feed line as a whole or wrap them separately? or does it even matter?

I figure it would probably be good for that rubber to be away from that metal feed line... what could i use to secure the tubing to keep it from moving.. maybe metal zip ties?

Thanks guys
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy
Nice.. it's fairly priced too. Should i put the sleeving around the 1/4 vacuum line and oil feed line as a whole or wrap them separately? or does it even matter?

That's up to you. It's not a wrap like that goes on a manifold. It's a thermal for sleeve that completely gotta over the braided line

I figure it would probably be good for that rubber to be away from that metal feed line... what could i use to secure the tubing to keep it from moving.. maybe metal zip ties?

The rubber outer layer itself is also heat resistant. The thermal fiberglass-like insulation keeps the line it seals cool and the surrounding sleeve is fire resistant.

You can even use standard strength zip ties. No need for metal

Thanks guys
Old 10-08-2015, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt use zip ties unless you can get them tight enough. I tried that on my vacuum line which runs to the wastegate on the other side and the sleeve slid back and eventually the line collapsed from the heat (1/4 Nylon push-lock DOT air lines though, the insulator slides almost glides on it lol).

I ended up going with small hose clamps and it works much better.

Quick Reply: Filter on turbo?