Notices

A few q's for u greddy owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few q's for u greddy owners

i'm looking to buy a greddy kit for my 99 si. i want to the car to be as daily drivable and reliable as possible. what do i need that doesn't come in the kit. should i be upgrading valvetrain, low comp pistons, hondata, oil cooler, intercooler, fuel pump, fuel rail, are the greddy kit's injectors good enough? etc. any input will be greatly appreciated because i am new to the boost realm, i was a former cam head
Old 07-29-2003, 10:48 AM
New User

Default Re: A few q's for u greddy owners (vtecman253)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecman253 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm looking to buy a greddy kit for my 99 si. i want to the car to be as daily drivable and reliable as possible. what do i need that doesn't come in the kit. should i be upgrading valvetrain, low comp pistons, hondata, oil cooler, intercooler, fuel pump, fuel rail, are the greddy kit's injectors good enough? etc. any input will be greatly appreciated because i am new to the boost realm, i was a former cam head</TD></TR></TABLE>

if u want it reliable stick with stock boost (5-6psi). youll probably want
a bov
intercooler
boost controller
turbo timer

thats pretty much it. But it all depends on your expectations with the car.
Sorry but reliable and turbo may not always work out =\

you need a boost controller because if u add an intercooler you will lose about 1-2psi depending on how much pressure loss your IC will give you.

FredoSP on this board ran 30K+ miles on his SI with blue box before one of his rings crapped out on him so its a pretty good kit.

A friend of mine runs the Greddy SOHC kit w/ Blue box and its running great.
I run the Greddy SOHC kit with afc hack.

if you have any questions just IM me.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:25 PM

18G greddy owner, having problems with car when idling, every morning or when at idel car seems like it wants to cutt off, sounds like the engine is choking, other then that runs okay, but how could i fix this prob? i get no CEL lights. kit is on a B16A sir2 and P30 ecu
Old 07-29-2003, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few q's for u greddy owners (psileepR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psileepR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

FredoSP on this board ran 30K+ miles on his SI with blue box before one of his rings crapped out on him so its a pretty good kit.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's meeee.. Actually it was 23k. I'm just about to go to bed, but i will write to this post in the morning. I also have Greddy Install pics on Arts server if you want to look at them.

- Fred
Old 07-29-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Re: A few q's for u greddy owners (psileepR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psileepR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if u want it reliable stick with stock boost (5-6psi). youll probably want
a bov
intercooler
boost controller
turbo timer

thats pretty much it. But it all depends on your expectations with the car.
Sorry but reliable and turbo may not always work out =\

you need a boost controller because if u add an intercooler you will lose about 1-2psi depending on how much pressure loss your IC will give you.

A friend of mine runs the Greddy SOHC kit w/ Blue box and its running great.
I run the Greddy SOHC kit with afc hack.

if you have any questions just IM me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am about to install my sohc turbo kit and was wondering where did you tap for your oil feed line?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spooned out)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooned out &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">18G greddy owner, having problems with car when idling, every morning or when at idel car seems like it wants to cutt off, sounds like the engine is choking, other then that runs okay, but how could i fix this prob? i get no CEL lights. kit is on a B16A sir2 and P30 ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just play with the idler screw a bit and raise the idle. Does it bog down when it idles? What RPM is the idle at? The ideal idle is 600-800.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spooned out)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooned out &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">18G greddy owner, having problems with car when idling, every morning or when at idel car seems like it wants to cutt off, sounds like the engine is choking, other then that runs okay, but how could i fix this prob? i get no CEL lights. kit is on a B16A sir2 and P30 ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine did this also but i fiddled with the plug gap and now all is good.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (1dumbassscreenname)

what is a blue box
Old 07-30-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Re: (vtecman253)

The Blue Box is the FMU (Fuel Management Unit) for the greddy turbo kits.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few q's for u greddy owners (vtecman253)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecman253 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">should i be upgrading valvetrain, low comp pistons, hondata, oil cooler, intercooler, fuel pump, fuel rail, are the greddy kit's injectors good enough? etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Valve train? Only if you plan on raising the redline or installing aggressive cams.
Pistons? Don't bother if you're only staying around stock boost.
Oil cooler? Doesn't hurt. I didn't use one and commuted in 100+ degree weather.
IC? Definitely!
Fuel pump? I believe the B-series one should be alright.
Fuel rail? Don't bother.

The 310s that come with the kit will be fine as long as you don't go crazy with boost. If you want to up the boost then get a boost controller, but you won't need it otherwise. As it is, you basically bolt the kit on and go ... w/ the exception of a few other stuff like gauges, an intercooler, BOV, and maybe a 2.5" cat-back with a hi-flow cat or something.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Re: A few q's for u greddy owners (Daniel)

thanks