Notices

Faster turbo spooling question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faster turbo spooling question

im about to turbo my 93 civic dx(d15b7) and its time to start ordering key parts like wastegate, bov, and intercooler. iv already picked out my wastegate, tial 38mm, and bov, turboxs rfl, but i dont kno about the intercooler. i already have a holset hx30 turbo and a custom turbo mani. iv heard from a couple peps that i wont be seeing boost until ~5K with that turbo and a 1.5L motor. would i see sooner spooling by not running an intercooler at all? with 2.5 inch turbo piping.

thanks for any advice
jordan
Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Faster turbo spooling question

anyone?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Intercooler is a must. It wont make a noticable difference in spool anyway.

The best thing to do is get a smaller turbo/ball bearing, or increase the velocity by sizing the intake pipes and getting the biggest exhaust/downpipe to help the turbo breath.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Intercooler is a must. It wont make a noticable difference in spool anyway.

The best thing to do is get a smaller turbo/ball bearing, or increase the velocity by sizing the intake pipes and getting the biggest exhaust/downpipe to help the turbo breath.
im sticking with the holset hx30 turbo cause its brand new and i got it for free. im going to make a 3" dp with 2.5" exhaust. what do you mean by "sizing the intake pipe"? does that mean smaller piping or larger? i thought increased turbo charge piping size increased spool time?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

In your case, changing the intake pipe will do nothing to help you "spool". Running an intercooler is a must. Get used to seeing full pressure over 5000rpms. This is what happens when you run such a large turbo on such a small displacement and less efficient engine. There's nothing you can do but change turbochargers to something smaller.

Accept it, or change the turbo.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
In your case, changing the intake pipe will do nothing to help you "spool". Running an intercooler is a must. Get used to seeing full pressure over 5000rpms. This is what happens when you run such a large turbo on such a small displacement and less efficient engine. There's nothing you can do but change turbochargers to something smaller.

Accept it, or change the turbo.
why is an intercooler a must? i plan on running a .5bar wastegate spring(7.2psi).
do you have any experience with holset turbos on small displacement motors? the turbo i have is off a 4-cylinder cummins motor with a redline around 3K rpm. and it boosted between 20-30psi. iv read that holsets spool quickly but does anyone have actual experience with them.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even at 7psi, you'll need to cool that intake charge, or get used to replacing the bottom end

ps. I've seen guys get away with water injection to compensate for no intercooler.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holsets usually spool faster because they are dsigned for diesel engines that have much cooler EGTs than any gas engine. Also most holsets don't start hitting their sweet spots till around 14-15 PSI since from the factory they are meant to run at at least 20-30 PSI for their whole life.

However the HX30 you have will be fine on spool. I've seen n D15s and D16s with HX35s and they usually spool at about 5500-5700 RPM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by holsetcivic
why is an intercooler a must? i plan on running a .5bar wastegate spring(7.2psi).
do you have any experience with holset turbos on small displacement motors? the turbo i have is off a 4-cylinder cummins motor with a redline around 3K rpm. and it boosted between 20-30psi. iv read that holsets spool quickly but does anyone have actual experience with them.
Yes. I've even sold the Holset turbochargers. (Very popular w/ DSMers) It's not the PSI that's important, its the heated intake air that was not chilled from the pressurization that will cause engine destroying detonation that results that is the problem.

If you don't want to run an intercooler, that is fine, as this is not my vehicle. To be cheap for not using something so important is simply being irresponsible and is just asking for more trouble than they're looking for.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The HX30 is not a large turbo it should spool quite well.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 PM

HX30 isn't bad.. HX40 on the other hand......
Old 06-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Yes. I've even sold the Holset turbochargers. (Very popular w/ DSMers) It's not the PSI that's important, its the heated intake air that was not chilled from the pressurization that will cause engine destroying detonation that results that is the problem.

If you don't want to run an intercooler, that is fine, as this is not my vehicle. To be cheap for not using something so important is simply being irresponsible and is just asking for more trouble than they're looking for.

Good luck to you.
i didnt say i was trying to be cheap and not get an intercooler, i was simply asking if not running an intercooler would increase spool time. but thank you for the advice, i plan on ordering a intercooler soon. should i get a bar and plate style? and what is an ideal size?
thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ever thought about a water to air intercooler?

I myself am using methanol/water injection.
Its nice the only problem i have is im using a 2 quart tank and usually end up refilling it once a day :-/
Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you doing some theory work, read and then decide what you should run..

I'm really tired of all these "what should I run" threads. We struggle to teach kids how to think on their own, and this is the result? Humanity is doomed.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marcj
Why don't you doing some theory work, read and then decide what you should run..

I'm really tired of all these "what should I run" threads. We struggle to teach kids how to think on their own, and this is the result? Humanity is doomed.
chill out man. that was only one post, i just wanna get the right stuff. the thread is about if not running an intercooler will decrease spool time..
Old 06-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holsetcivic
should i get a bar and plate style? and what is an ideal size?
thanks
Tube and fin or bar and plate will work fine either way. You want increased surface area so the heat energy has more area to spread. The benefits of having a super cool intake charge is a lot higher than you would think.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about an intercooler affecting spool time. once a turbo begins to spool, it makes more pressure at an alarming rate.

If you are crafty, look for an EVO intercooler. I ended up cutting mine into a backdoor so the turbo runs directly into it. If you get one, I would suggest chopping the ends off and having a local welding that can weld aluminum make the inlet and outlet come out straight since they are 45* on the EVO. look at the left side on mine and you'll see what I mean.. hell for $60 i love it.. loses efficiency around 400hp so I will be replacing it in a week or so once I put my electronic boost controller and drag clutch in.