Notices

Fairly new to turbochargers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairly new to turbochargers...

I'd like to get a good list of do's and dont's going on for turbo setups.

From what I've learned, the do's are obvious: build the motor (for higher boost applications), get a GOOD tune, don't cut corners, and make sure you have a good quality boost controller to prevent overboosting.

I'm not so sure about the dont's. I've heard not to use a short geared tranny, and not to use a lightweight flywheel or else you'll run through the gears before there is time to boost. correct? what else?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Fairly new to turbochargers... (grandtheftlunchbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grandtheftlunchbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not so sure about the dont's. I've heard not to use a short geared tranny, and not to use a lightweight flywheel or else you'll run through the gears before there is time to boost. correct? what else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't know about where you heard about the lightweight flywheel part as a don't but that is incorrect.

Let's see. One don't is to not use any 90 degree AN fittings on your return to the turbocharger.

Another don't is to try and fool yourself about the limits of a turbocharger that you choose. A dyno pull is a snapshot and only tells a part of the story of a powerband; it doesn't represent the whole characteristic of its response
Old 08-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fairly new to turbochargers... (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't know about where you heard about the lightweight flywheel part as a don't but that is incorrect.

Let's see. One don't is to not use any 90 degree AN fittings on your return to the turbocharger.

Another don't is to try and fool yourself about the limits of a turbocharger that you choose. A dyno pull is a snapshot and only tells a part of the story of a powerband; it doesn't represent the whole characteristic of its response </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I suppose the whole reason for making performance mods engine-wise is to get you to run through the gears as quickly as possible... guess I just didn't see it that way.

I read yesterday not to use the 90 degree AN fittings because it creates backpressure in the oil return line and oil wont flow through it (at least not as well), as well as making sure that the return line doesn't go "uphill".

I've also been reading up on turbine housing A/R and wheel trim and how they affect the operation of a turbo. pretty interesting stuff.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

But remember, the turbine housing is only 1/4 of the story. wheel combination is the biggest factor to consider. Don't go by A/R housing math alone. Also remember that even though A/R math is universal, the application is not. BW uses different numbers than Garrett because the volute of the BWs are generally wider, thereby changing the number.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Fairly new to turbochargers... (grandtheftlunchbox)

I jus installed a garrett t25 on my d15b7. I have had some problems with finding some instructions on how to hook up the greddy blue box that i bought off a friend. I know it has to splice into the cpu somewhere i jus have no clue where to begin. Any help would be great thanks.