Notices

A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more?

I have two purpose:
1. Safety monitoring, my turbo is on stock motor.
2. I want to know my approximate turbo temperature, to know how much I should wait for cool down before turning off engine.

Which one of these will serve #1, and which one will serve #2?
- Pyrometer
- Intake air temp
- Oil Pressure
- Oil temperature

Old 07-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (elpiar)

gauges i prefer to get are:

Oil pressure
Wideband o2
Boost
Old 07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oil pressure, egt, boost, and wideband
Old 07-17-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (flip1199)

there are a lot of threads like this....search next time.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=988990

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=936378

there's more, but i don't feel like copying and pasting
Old 07-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (adseguy)

i run a wideband, boost and oil temp gauge.

id say that boost, wideband and egt are probably the most important. i would rather have an oil temp than oil pressure, as worst comes to worst i still have the oil pressure lighton the dash to go off if i get low
Old 07-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (blackeg)

i see wideband and egt kinda redundant, but that's just me.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (flip1199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are a lot of threads like this....search next time.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=988990

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=936378

there's more, but i don't feel like copying and pasting</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. i searched btw but didn't know the right keyword. "Gauges" gave me too much result.

I saw you wrote about how to mount the gauges on the cruise control and dimmer places. I cannot find it in the website. Do you have pics?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:02 AM

Why is everyone favor oil pressure? I need to be educated here.

1. Oil pressure is important and I understand why that is. But doesn't the stock indicator is there already, plus, if the pressure drops to a certain degree, usually the cause is an oil leak, in which I would notice it soon anyway, right?

2. What about oil temperature? I see that in euro cars like Audi S4 and such they have oil temp gauge in their stock cluster. I'm thinking I can have a measure of how hot the turbo is running with this. Also, I can monitor if the temperature is boiling the oil to the point it's not viscous enough.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (elpiar)

With all the custom work done to feed the turbo either from the stock oil pressure sender or a sandwhich plate monitoring oil pressure would be a better idea. With all the added plumbing there are more places for oil to leak through. IMO oil pressure would be more informative then oil temperature. A loss of oil pressure will defiantely kill your turbo but also your motor too. At the slightest hint of a problem with oil pressure you can pull over and turn the car off before you further damage the motor.

I think that saying the stock oil pressure indicator to monitor oil pressure in your turbo Honda is like saying that it's ok to use the stock narrowband O2 sensor to tune with or the stock water temp gauge to tell you what the temps are...that's just me though.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With all the custom work done to feed the turbo either from the stock oil pressure sender or a sandwhich plate monitoring oil pressure would be a better idea. With all the added plumbing there are more places for oil to leak through. IMO oil pressure would be more informative then oil temperature. A loss of oil pressure will defiantely kill your turbo but also your motor too. At the slightest hint of a problem with oil pressure you can pull over and turn the car off before you further damage the motor.

I think that saying the stock oil pressure indicator to monitor oil pressure in your turbo Honda is like saying that it's ok to use the stock narrowband O2 sensor to tune with or the stock water temp gauge to tell you what the temps are...that's just me though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I had in mine and you said it for me

IMO in order of importance:

1) Boost
2) Wideband (to read true AFR)
3) Oil Pressure
4) Knock Sensor
5) Oil Temp

Technically speaking 1) and 2) can equally be as important...

I wouldnt' worry too much about the duration to leave the engine idling before shutting down engine. Just get an auto turbo timer and be done. Normally about 30secs to 2mins would suffice depending on how hard you have thrash the turbo..
Old 07-18-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (swlabhot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swlabhot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1) Boost
3) Oil Pressure
4) Knock Sensor
5) Oil Temp
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you monitor knock sensor? Is there a gauge for it?
Is it affordable?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (swlabhot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swlabhot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
IMO in order of importance:

1) Boost
3) Oil Pressure
4) Knock Sensor
5) Oil Temp

</TD></TR></TABLE>

#4 has to be a good one that you put to your own ears and not a stock one. I'm pretty sure you meant that; it's just to clarify

BTW my choice is exactly the same as above

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is everyone favor oil pressure? I need to be educated here.

1. Oil pressure is important and I understand why that is. But doesn't the stock indicator is there already, plus, if the pressure drops to a certain degree, usually the cause is an oil leak, in which I would notice it soon anyway, right?

2. What about oil temperature? I see that in euro cars like Audi S4 and such they have oil temp gauge in their stock cluster. I'm thinking I can have a measure of how hot the turbo is running with this. Also, I can monitor if the temperature is boiling the oil to the point it's not viscous enough.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) The stock oil pressure indicator only tells you when you have a dangerously low oil pressure like under 10PSI. If you see that and don't react within a few seconds your bearing could be toast (all from what I hear on HT, should I could be way off). The oil light should not be used to determine good oil pressure.

2.) Who cares how hot the turbo is, what kills the bearngs is cooking. By knowing the oil's temperature you can see how much turbo needs to run for it to be cooled off properly.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2.) Who cares how hot the turbo is, what kills the bearngs is cooking. By knowing the oil's temperature you can see how much turbo needs to run for it to be cooled off properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the hot turbo is the one that coke the oil, right?
Anyone knows why they put oil temp gauges in some turbo cars?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elpiar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the hot turbo is the one that coke the oil, right?
Anyone knows why they put oil temp gauges in some turbo cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe it's because oil also helps to cool the engine. I hear people saying that installing an oil cooler helps to lower engine temps.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 AM

Turbo cars naturally run hotter than NA cars so it is important to monitor the oil temp. Oil only works well up to a certain temp, once that threshold is reached, it will break down and become too thin and inefficient to lubricate the engine. This could lead to a host of problems.

So for turbo installs on an NA car or a modified oem turbo car, you would normally put an oil cooler in the car to cool the excess heat from the oil. Not normally required for road driving but is a must for track use due to prolonged boost.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So for turbo installs on an NA car or a modified oem turbo car, you would normally put an oil cooler in the car to cool the excess heat from the oil. Not normally required for road driving but is a must for track use due to prolonged boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Out of all the people on this site and all the people i know that have turbo'd there honda i havne't seen anyone running into problems because they werent' using a oil cooler. i dont really see why it's needed for track use? for a street car it's only about 9-14secs of hard driving. on my previous turbo car i had the apex timer. for normal driving it would only leave the car on for about 15 secs. for track it would only leave the car running for about 35-50 secs. Now that i know this it would be pointless for me to get a oil temp gauge. is there a guide for turbo honda's to go by that tell them what temp is too high? If the temp does get too high, what are u supposed to do? Can't just shut off the car cuz you'll most likely kill the turbo.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gauges i prefer to get are:

Oil pressure
Wideband o2
Boost</TD></TR></TABLE>

EGT if you want... but EGT is sorta useless IMO.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i run a wideband, boost and oil temp gauge.

id say that boost, wideband and egt are probably the most important. i would rather have an oil temp than oil pressure, as worst comes to worst i still have the oil pressure lighton the dash to go off if i get low</TD></TR></TABLE>

So if you are at 6000rpm, and you have 10psi of oil pressure, what good does that dash light do you?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/F ratio, boost, what other gauges are important if I want more? (dustin)

I'm paranoid.

my top 3: wideband, oil pressure, Boost

what i have:
Oil Pressure
Morosso Oil Pressure Warning light (its adjustable, light comes on where you set it, 15-50psi)
EGT
Boost
Wideband
Oil Temp
Water Temp
Fuel Pressure
J&S Knock sensor

i'm paranoid, although only thorugh buying gauges have i found some of the problems my car has been having, IE my Paxton FPR took a **** on me. I wondered how 1000cc injectors maxed out at 18psi.

water temp helped me find coolant leak when temps jumped up.

Oil temp showed me that the new topmount setup did add a shitload of heat and I neeed an oil cooler, my temp was peggign the 250 mark one day.

EGT helped me to find that my timign was stupid retarded once when i got it back form shop, timign was 2 degrees off, which causing me to run hot.

The oil pressure warning light is just because i'm afraid, as i rev past 9k with eagle rods and stock sleeves, i fear oil pump failure, so big red light.

J&S makes pretty lights in the dark.

boost gauge likes to move around alot.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Out of all the people on this site and all the people i know that have turbo'd there honda i havne't seen anyone running into problems because they werent' using a oil cooler. i dont really see why it's needed for track use? for a street car it's only about 9-14secs of hard driving. on my previous turbo car i had the apex timer. for normal driving it would only leave the car on for about 15 secs. for track it would only leave the car running for about 35-50 secs. Now that i know this it would be pointless for me to get a oil temp gauge. is there a guide for turbo honda's to go by that tell them what temp is too high? If the temp does get too high, what are u supposed to do? Can't just shut off the car cuz you'll most likely kill the turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I say 'track' I mean circuit racing not drag strip as I think some may refer it. If you have done 'Track Days', you would be on constant boost for 20-30mins or maybe even more at a time before pitting in for a 'rest period'. In this lapping duration your oil temp could spike to 250 or even 280 deg without an oil cooler. It is in aid to cool your oil WHILE you are driving and not so much to cool your oil quicker before shutting down the engine. The stock cooling system is not near enough sufficient when you track a boosted car in this type of scenario. Road use is a different story.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

heres what im running

boost
egt
oil pressure
oil temp
water temp
water pressure (electric water pump)
wideband o2
and im looking at getting an intake air temp gauge