Notices

Extrude Honing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extrude Honing...

This process isn't new as its been around over 25 years or more at this day in time but with all the new intake manifolds out there that promise superior flow characteristics to out perform OEM and modified OEM based designs (like your simple ITR style Skunk2 Pro series manifolds) I've always wanted to try this, and now that im playing with boost I'm really pondering if it would yield marked improvements over buying the next new expensive intake.

The manifold candidate would be a P30 Intake to keep the runner length as stock dimensions for driving while out of boost / before spool.

Here's an old thread in the ALL MOTOR forum on a discussion about this-

Quoted from this thread - https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...702&styleid=14

Originally Posted by OH_1fstgsr
Years ago I almost did this to my intake manifold. But I did a bunch of research first. Here are a few points I can remember.
Honda's manifold castings are much more accurate than a US domestic. That's why someone with a Mustang or Camaro can get there manifolds done and gain 40-50 horsepower, plus more cylinders.

Smoother intake runners are not always better. If you have really polished or smooth intake runners and are using OEM or another Lucas type injector your power gains would be very limiting. This type of injectors need a bit of air turbulence to disperse the fuel into the air going into the cylinder head. These injectors have a very narrow spray pattern. If you change to Bosch based injector like FIC's or ID's with the polished runners you will have much larger power gains.

Next point is if the runner shape is not efficient all Extrude Hone will do is make it a polished less efficient design.
My recommendation would be to use this is on a manifold that has been CNC’d and you still see all the machining marks. The shop that does the CNC’d work most likely has done there homework and tapper the runners, made sure they all have the same shape and volume. The Extrude Hone would be the final clean up to polish it up nice and smooth. I would also use FIC injectors.

On a Honda, Skunk2, Edlebrock manifold a dremel and sand paper can clean up and polish the runners. Just takes a bit of time.
As mentioned in the above quote, air turbulence generated by the surface texture in most manifolds is conducive to air flow tenancies as the air turbulence at the surface creates a boundary as one would imagine that allows high velocity air to glide or roll over this like wheels on a conveyor belt.

When extrude honing is applied, the surface texture is smoothed down considerably which can impede on this flow characteristic.

I've heard the pricing for this sort of work isnt exactly cheap though, and in most cases may negate the purpose to have this sort of work done what so ever if gains are only marginal for the cost involved.

Yet still, on a boosted application, with supporting mods such as FIC, or ID style injectors and proper tuning I remain optimistic at this sort of technology and wonder if anyone else has tried this and what the results were? Of the results I did find on HT, I did not find anything from FI enthusiast except in this thread by Charlie Moua-

https://honda-tech.com/newreply.php?...eply&p=4638934

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
well as alway i'm just curiouse if anyone has done it to their CAST manifold.
Also would like to know how much it cost, if it was worth it, and changes in turbo spool up times.

*i was thinking about doing this process to a Greddy cast manifold or maybe even inline pro.
Also, this site list some pretty good FAQ's about the process and myth's about this process, though their FAQ's may or may not be fact in order to sway the opionions of those looking to spend money on the service it self.

http://extrudehoneafm.com/FAQ_automotive.html#5