Notices

external vs internal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default external vs internal

i was wondering something has any body done a external vs internal setup?
hp/tq gains? more if help with 1/4 time, any time dropped? MPH gain?

externals lookin at tials of course. 35mm,38m, 38/40mm,40mm, 46mm. what are the difference other then size. how do i pick my waste gate? bigger ones harder to open? please list a chart of what is needed to use what size wastegate.

any downs into running external dump back into the exhaust? should it just dump.

so i'm lookin for feed back. i really don't want to deal with the noise from external but if it is the way to go so be it! i will be also using a log manifold with the external rite at the inlet of the turbo. no collecter on it just a flange.

this is my first post so HI!
Old 08-01-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: external vs internal (shot_them_all)

Well, for the most part the turbo you choose will determine the wastegate you need.

You won't find a T25 without an internal wastegate and you won't likely find a T3/4 or T4 with an internal wastegate.

The only time you really have to decide is if you are using a T3, because some have internal wastegates (which are removable) and some do not. I prefer internal because it is cheaper, but I really don't know if that is wise or not. I am actually still trying to decide which T3 to get to replace my T25.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: external vs internal (beepy)

The external is "superior" because they allow you to make more power... but 99.5% of the Honda-Tech advertised "kit" setups don't mplement an external wastegate placement that lowers TIP so that your hot side:cold side pressure differential is ideallized.

Conventional turbo "kit" setups utilize the external wastegate in the same manner an internal wastegate is configured - stuck bass ackward off to the side. The only reason to run one over an internal gate on a conventional "kit" setup is for hybrid turbos... they flow so much air out the T4 compressor, through the engine, and then the turbine that you can't vent enough exhaust via internal wastegate aperture to control boost (creep).

In a "kit," or "manifold," meant to make great peak power by not restricting flow through the engine with excessive turbine inlet pressure, a very large external wastegate is fed via merge collector and the turbine is stuck bass ackwards off to the side.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i was lookin at a gt35/40r dual ball bearing

so what size wastegate?

any 1/4 times from internal vs external?