Notices

Evaluate my catch can setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaluate my catch can setup

Backround- I did a lot or searching and reading and i think this will be a sutible setup but i wanted to run it past you fellas first.

The car is a 1990 Prelude si that will be running 7psi on stock internals with a small t3, intercooled, and on hondata. I want my setup to be as reliable as possible so i'm planning on doing the catch can setup. Please excuse the kindergartner drawing!

I'll need to replace the pcv with open fittings since the PCV valve itself dosn't work under boost. The can will be sealed and not vented (no breather filter). Let me know what you guys think or reccommend.

TIA
Rick

Modified by planeman01 at 6:22 AM 8/5/2005
Old 08-05-2005, 01:10 AM

Default Re: Evaluate my catch can setup (planeman01)

After reading that very long and informative thread on PCV setups this is pretty much the setup that I'll be running. I was initially thinking or running each line off the valve cover to a different evac source ie. one to the wastegate and one to the dumptube, but I think running them to one line like how you have it will work too. I was originally gonna run it from the exhaust, but I'm thinking of just using the intake side of the turbo...less work! haha
Old 08-05-2005, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's the setup I'm running on my h22 and it seems to work pretty well.

Mine is really ghetto, I got an air duster can and painted it with primer for the bling. I also used larger diameter tubing for the line going from the can to the intake pipe on my turbo - I think it helps get the gases out a little better.

The only problem I see with your drawing is that I would think you would want all your lines toward the top of the can so they don't suck up or have to push through any oil laying in the bottom of the can. Some kind of drain valve is nice too, but not necessary.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought that Dasher found out that the slash cut method didn't produce any extra effect. Or that teh effect of it was almost negligible.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Evaluate my catch can setup (96ex)

it would be retarded to put the oil line from the catch can, into the intake tube before the turbo..... it will suck the oil out of the engine, and than push it through your turbo, intercooler, into the chargepipes, t.b. and combustion chamber, causing detonation.

in order to properly use the "slashcut" it would need to be plumbed into the exhaust system, and a checkvalve would be used inline, so that the exhaust gas's couldnt get back into the engine.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My system is routed exactly like the pic. No probs so far.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dturbocivic-i know what your saying about it sucking in the vapors back into the motor. its too bad the catch can couldn't purify the air enough to trap all oils and vapors. however reburning the oils and vapors IS how the stock motor was designed. so i don't see why it'd cause damaging effects now if it didn't before.

however im still going to run the slash cut in the exhaust instead of the intake. only problem with that is there is almost zero vaccuum on that slashcut under low rpm's load or idling etc.

i was thinking of running a second line off the can back to the intake manifold nipple but put a checkvalve on that line so that when the manifold see's boost the valve would block it from pushing through the line.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lkailburn)

ok, well we are not talking about stock honda's here are we? think about all the added heat on a higher hp car, not to mention that you most likely cant compress oil. why would you want all that oil getting all over your intercooler, intake manifold, etc...

oil causes detonation...... END of story

+ all the oil getting sucked back into the intake will make your car smoke..

the turbos "suck" alot harder than a stock honda ever could in NA form, therfore sucking alot more oil/vapors
Old 08-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think people should really look at getting an line filter to catch vapors...
Old 08-05-2005, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said earlier, I'm using a similar setup to the one above, but I have each port on the valvecover going to it's own port on the catchcan and I have all of my ports on the top of the can.

I have some clear tubing on there right now and the tube going to the intake from the can is perfectly clear with no signs of sucking oil. I don't think think there's much danger of sucking oil into your engine if everything is setup properly.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bubs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think think there's much danger of sucking oil into your engine if everything is setup properly. </TD></TR></TABLE>
agreed - unless the can fills up completely, then you probably have some other problems anyway...
Old 08-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in the other long thread written by dasher you'd see that although the vacuum line is on the turbo the intercooler would basically act like a big catchcan and that you'd have to empty it every so often.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (epic1si)

why not pay the$170 or have ever much it is enydne kit and do it the right way
Old 08-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (epic1si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by epic1si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the other long thread written by dasher you'd see that although the vacuum line is on the turbo the intercooler would basically act like a big catchcan and that you'd have to empty it every so often.</TD></TR></TABLE>
why would that be if your catchcan pre-turbo is doing it's job?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (notoriousB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notoriousB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why would that be if your catchcan pre-turbo is doing it's job?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.. The whole point of the CATCHcan is to catch the oil so it's not entering back into your engine.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:26 PM

i was looking into doin the tap into the exhaust to draw the vacuum. it seems that if the catch can is working properly drawing a vacuum from the intake pre turbo would work just fine however upon closer inspection, drawing vacuum from the exhaust flow would be a more ideal source. Keep the imput comming!
Thanks
Rick
Old 08-06-2005, 12:05 PM

anyone else?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think i might have to get a catch can too. i saw on c-speedracing.com in the "how to" portion of installing a catch can, they used some steel wool to filter i think?