Notices

EMS Gripe! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMS Gripe! LOL

Finally got everthing done and went to finally start her up, but no spark. Spent a few hours tracking down parts such as a 99-00 Civic Si Stock ECU, distributor and etc etc. Gotta give big thanks to Ground Zero and Race Dezigns for letting me borrow a few things to help me diagnose the problem. Those guys are just awesome. I got the motor to turn over with the stock ecu. Not even 2 cranks, damn thing fired up like a champ and even idle pretty damn good with 880cc. The motor idled pretty smooth, very surprised, thought it was goin to run like pure crack..didn't even have a o2 plugged in and the 3bar map was wired up.

But anyways, tried different coil drivers, different base maps, and still got nothing. It was "Syncn up and turning on" and that was fine. I got a lil spark yesterday, but it was just for a second and never got spark again.

Wouldn't it be nice if the AEM EMS came with some sort of diagnostic software where it could test to make sure everything was okay. Kinda like how a computer can test for com ports. If the software did find a problem on a self check test then you still got to send it to AEM, but atleast you know there is a problem rather than having to deal with hours of troubleshootin. Damn who knows it might even see something is wrong, but it has nothing to do with your car..Example Coil Driver 5 is not functioning, but your not using 5. So you can decide if you want to send it to AEM or just keep it till it really ***** on you. hahahaha.

I am sendin the unit back to AEM for a checkup and repair if need be. Mitch@AEM was very helpful and took care of the situation without any hassle.

Anyone local got a 1010 box I can borrow for the day?!

Modified by BodyKits NW at 9:03 PM 8/30/2004
Old 08-30-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: EMS Gripe! LOL (BodyKits NW)

is it a 1010 box or a 1050 box? if its a 1050 did u get it when they just came out with the new smaller boxes?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EMS Gripe! LOL (kgibson16)

I got a 1010 box, and they got smaller boxes!!! Cause **** this sucker is huge lol.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

Whats up Andy...

Send a PM to mskibbz-T. Hes running EMS on his integra, and he lives in Seattle, so he might let you borrow his. Hes a cool guy and would probably help you out, its worth a shot in asking.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DC_andrew)

He is actually on my buddy list. I would ask him, but I think he daily drivers his Integra.

Oh yah if you happen to talk to Phiz, ask him if he can get me some ECU pinouts because I have some extra options I need to add to my stock harness. How is your car running? You going to get it tuned soon? Mike has a 1010 box, but I think he daily drives his car too DOH!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:08 PM

check on the menu under options -->coil and check if coils 1,2,3,4 are all active and setup up, go to ignition parameters and add coils 1-4 to the list, turn key and see if u get anything reading on the coils , u can determine if its a ems problem or a coil pack problems, what coil packs u using anyway mk3 supra? honda cbr? the new boxes are half the size lol. oh ya what software u using 1.03 or 1.11?
Old 08-30-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: EMS Gripe! LOL (kgibson16)

FYI I got a bad aem box one time...i had no spark or fuel or anything...sent that beotch back they sent me a new one a few days later and all was well
Old 08-30-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He is actually on my buddy list. I would ask him, but I think he daily drivers his Integra.

Oh yah if you happen to talk to Phiz, ask him if he can get me some ECU pinouts because I have some extra options I need to add to my stock harness. How is your &lt;car running? You going to get it tuned soon? Mike has a 1010 box, but I think he daily drives his car too DOH!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sent you a PM.

Ill ask Phiz about those pinouts. Are you talkin about Mike Barber? He was hangin out with my friend today and I swung by and he didnt have his R with him, so I dont think he daily drives it, if thats the Mike youre talking about.

EDIT: Nevermind, it is his daily driver, I guess that car was his parents or something. He still might help you out though, Ill get his number for you if youd like.

Modified by DC_andrew at 5:30 AM 8/31/2004
Old 08-30-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yah Mike Barber. He bought my RC 750cc Injectors last year. Ask Phiz about those Pins beacause I need to wire up my boost solenoid and VTEC Pressure Switch into the stock harness.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:32 PM

Phiz is gonna get back to me on that one...
Old 08-30-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't it be nice if the AEM EMS came with some sort of diagnostic software where it could test to make sure everything was okay. Kinda like </TD></TR></TABLE>

Kinda like the Honda ECU, and it's diagnostic codes?

BTW, PHiZ loves i-VTEC, and is an RSX driving stunna. Icky-poo!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont need the vtec pressure switch..

and did you remember to turn on the coil output when you swaped it?

diagnostic codes are for lazy stunnas
Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

No, not diagnostic codes like check engine lights. More like how a computer does a ram check/hardware check when you first start it up.

You can download software to diagnose your ram, and other computer hardware easily. It would be nice if AEM included something similar. I am sure the techs have something cause how else would they check it.

I don't need a VTEC Pressure switch? Cause I had to wire it manually on my hondata because my 2000 JDM Civic Type-R Engine Harness did not have it.

I did activate the Coil Driver I pinned it to. I went to Options-Coil then chose the Coil driver I pinned to and checked the box activate.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, not diagnostic codes like check engine lights. More like how a computer does a ram check/hardware check when you first start it up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what the Honda ECU doesn on startup, as well as during the course of it's operation.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can download software to diagnose your ram, and other computer hardware easily.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought any beeping after POST diagnosed your RAM plenty, aside from a single "all clear" beep or the long-two-short beeps associated with a video card malfunction.

Sorry to be an overly-technically-minded asshat... JDogg is very handy in these pesky AEM EMS situations. Although, I do feel obligated to point out his nasty H22 fetish that's snowballed into a disgusting F20B obsession.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J. Davis)

Those are just some simple hardware checks when the computer is bootin up under CMOS. You can easily have bad ram even after going through all that. That is why you have stronger diagnostic tools like Norton Utilities or even Windows Scan Disk where you can actually do sector checks, partition checks, etc. etc. A computer will boot up just fine, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong with the hardware. You could even have corrupt files and deleted registry files.

All I'm saying is that it would be awesome if there was a diagnositic program that could be ran to check for bad coil drivers, burnt pinouts, or even bad flash memory. The damn thing is already reprogramable, just have them step it up a lil bit Add some more features.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:44 PM

what kind of coils u using
Old 08-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nasty h22/f20b fetish &gt; boosted LS junkyard fetish

the honda ecu is good at doing 2 things better than the ems.. diagnosing busted **** and idleing...
Old 08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

I just got a basic ignition setup. MSD Digital SCI Plus, MSD Cap, Wires, MSD External Coil Blaster SS. It's all wired up right cause it fires right up with the stock SI ECU.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those are just some simple hardware checks when the computer is bootin up under CMOS. You can easily have bad ram even after going through all that. That is why you have stronger diagnostic tools like Norton Utilities or even Windows Scan Disk where you can actually do sector checks, partition checks, etc. etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do bad hard disks (sectors, partitions) have to do with bad RAM? Bad anaolgy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All I'm saying is that it would be awesome if there was a diagnositic program that could be ran to check for bad coil drivers, burnt pinouts, or even bad flash memory. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sort of like the Honda ECU's code 15 (ignition output signal) or code 16 (fuel injector), and a dozen other aspects aside from ignition/injector drivers. Code 0 always means bad memory. No way to check burnt pinouts without insane levels of redundancy... EMS isn't that advanced a piece of hardware, is actually inferior to the Honda ECU in some respects, but it has the saving grace of a large number of I/O and a codebase that was written specifically to be tweaked, as opposed to the reverse engineered OEM Honduh stuffs.

Uhm, keep in mind I'm nearly an electronics engineer... what you are asking for is what the Honda ECU already has - there is no better way to implement it, at least for someone who knows the system - and since I have a very wierd pro-DIY/pro-PGMFI/pro-INSOMNIA agenda I find odd points very easy to argue. No offense

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nasty h22/f20b fetish &gt; boosted LS junkyard fetish </TD></TR></TABLE>

Conscious thought, pls, Jason... what part of I washed the car, and gave away the old manifold, turbo, and IC didn't you understand?
Old 08-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Then why don't you improve on the EMS lol.

As for the harddrive remark. The diagnostic tools are basically the same for ram. Rather than sectors you can check memory cells, module size, and or bad bits in a module. But bla..I am just bitchin cause I gotta send this sucker back.

Hondata was soo much nicer to me, but once I get this thing to fired up with the EMS it should work out pretty good.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then why don't you improve on the EMS lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have 30+ Honduh ECU, I pick them up for $20 on average, spend an hour and $10 making soldering iron love to them, sell them for $125... when I remember to. Blundar from PGMFI just closed on a house doing this sort of thing, I get through the acquisition and soldering part just fine and forget to sell them or give them away to friends.

While I'm sure JDogg would break all the rules and use his AEM factory certification to break the tape on an EMS and let me take scans of the mobo and dumps of the code, I'm pretty disinterested in that. Firstly, I help no one doing this - those who can tune EMS have a monopoly on the EMS tuning market, and as JDogg indicated he KNOWS what's wrong with a recalcitrant EMS system just like I can fix anything Honduh ECU equipped in four milliseconds, often without checking codes and going by vehicle behavior. Pointless. Second, the number of EMS out there versus the number of enthusiasts is ******* pitiful - there's not enough fluency for me to learn anything, regardless of the abstractions I enjoy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the harddrive remark. The diagnostic tools are basically the same for ram. Rather than sectors you can check memory cells, module size, and or bad bits in a module. But bla..I am just bitchin cause I gotta send this sucker back.

Hondata was soo much nicer to me, but once I get this thing to fired up with the EMS it should work out pretty good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I feel you... EMS is a pretty solid system, you'll like it. (Don't tell JDogg I said that)
Old 08-31-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope I will like it. I just need to get my car running ASAP.