Notices

Electrical Exhaust Cutout

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Exhaust Cutout

Has anyone used electric cutouts on their exhausts? I wanna keep my stock exhaust because I kinda want the sleeper look so i was thinking of getting them welding onto the down pipe right before the cat. Has anyone done this? And how would you set 2 different tunes on the car for stock exhaust and the cutout when it's open?

thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Electrical Exhaust Cutout

If you're going turbo just run it through your exhaust and have the wastegate dump..
Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have one check out my build thread. I used a cruise control motor and mounted it in the car
Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course people have done it. You will want to at least tune with the cutout open. Although since a stock exhaust is so restrictive, you will probably need 2 tunes as it will be overly rich with the cutout closed (most likely).

Also, you can easily keep the "sleeper" look with a custom exhaust. You don't HAVE to have a fart can...
Old 03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's mine on my street car.

^^ original mock-up pic with my custom "turn-down" flange, **currently it is sitting much higher than this picture**.

4" Downpipe -> 3" exhaust, 3" Quicktime Performance E-cut & Y-pipe. Works awesome I love it.

I also have a full 3" stainless exhaust going to 2.5" about 6 inches before my Fujitsubo Geiken Legalis-R street muffler.

Super quiet when cruising around. When I am racing the car, hit the switch, wait 5 seconds and that's it.

Correct, I did initially tune the setup with the E-cut open as it makes 3psi more boost then closed, the tuning should not need changing after that, if ECU is in closed loop, it will adjust itself if the MAP/o2 sensors reading less boost/more fuel when closed.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4genaccord, that's exactly what i was thinking of doing! Thanks for the tuning part. The only problem i can see with it is clearance to be an issue, especially on coil-overs/lower car. Did you run into any issues?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

N3va3vaSatisfi3d, I was thinking of doing a custom exhaust but that's just extra money that I could put into something else. Plus a cutout would give better performance than any exhaust would it not? This is my first time thinking of a cutout so I don't know too much about it, thanks for the help so far guys
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Yes, a cutout will always provide more power than a full exhaust of the same size. They make two versions of manual cutouts and then there is electric cutouts. Manual ones use a cable to activate or you can get the super cheap ones that are just a "Y" with 3 wing nuts to remove. For a lowered car you could move it forward to under just behind the oil pan if needed. It really depends on the size of the piping and routing chosen though.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember seeing one that was pressure activated. Perfect for boosted cars.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by migrod1
I remember seeing one that was pressure activated. Perfect for boosted cars.
Just one of a few...

http://atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

I never consider these since it is essentially" uncontrollable" unless you put a valve inline or something of the sort.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quotes were back from 2003. After reading this, it made my decision easy.
Originally Posted by Full-Race Javier
Full-Race Henry's civic with prototype AC kit with 3.0 dp and e-cutout dyno'd on wednesday down in tucson. it made 300whp and xxx trq with the e-cutout closed and a apexi 2.25 exhaust @ ~11psi on our T3/T67. with the e-cutout open, it made 420whp and xxx trq @ ~14lbs. we have the dyno plots somewhere, well post em up later.
Originally Posted by Full-Race Henry
Alright, lets see. I got my dyno sheet right in front of me
Closed 295.1 whp 211.0 trq
Opened 420.8 whp 258.0 trq

I have RSR exmag full exhaust. I prefer a quite exhaust & love hearing my turbo over my exhaust on the street. We never got to dyno test it with it it open & closed, but i can tell you that it's night and day difference in power (after 5-6000rpms) and turbo recover/response is greatly increased my several hundred rpms.

When I took it up the the road course at BIR, I ran it open the entire weekend.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...07793&page=282

Mine is custom made my a fellow honda-tech member.
I'm sure others have thought about it, but he's the first person i know that has made one. Rather than using a electric motor that sits under the car and vibrates with the entire exhaust system & car, he made a "SERVO" powered e-cutout.

Quick specs:
case is 6x3x2", cutout/pipe is 10x8.5x3", 54" from cutout to box. Three wires, 20awg, 45" long. Only needs +12v & ground, then a grounded or powered switch for the signal wire (jumper select inside). TB can be angled ~15 degrees between the 2 sets of mounting holes in the flange. 2 adjustment pots for open & closed endpoint adjustment.

Here's a DMH cutout, which is fairly fast vs all the other vids I've found. Still not as fast.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/photogallery.htm (look at bottom for vids)

Benefits:
- throttle body are tapered so this ensures proper seal when closed
- no motor attached to cutout. I don't have to worry about the "motor" breaking (common with many e-cut out) off due to vibiration of road racing, lunching.
- servo are proven to last +25,000 motion actuation & very rare to fail. If it does fail, servos are cheap and easy to replace.
- opens is about 1 sec with a push of a button
- can be hooked up to buttons (I use my AC button) or input to ecu to open automatically under specific settings (boost, rpm, ect).

I would keep the RSR exhaust/ecutout setup but because i'm shooting for more power, I've decided to just go full 3" exhaust with vbands.
For race events, I'll remove the midpipe & just run a turn-down pipe for improved turbo recover & topend power.

It it what it is...
To each his own.
I hope my post helps future h-tech members.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

has anyone ever consider the varex exhaust system?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://atpturbo.com/root/releases/release091004.htm

N3va3vaSatisfi3d correct...

What i don't like about it:
- angle of cutout
- doesn't open at until certain PSI, which defeats the purpose cutout really helping to improve turbo spool.
- doesn't stay open in between shifts

I like the fact that it's mechanically simple & reliable but I'm not sold on the performance of it. I would also prefer if it had a softer/lower spring which would FULLY open at 2-3psi. Makes no sense to fully open ONLY at max boost & when your already halfway through the engines powerband.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

mine is very similar to charlies but the same desighn as 4gen's
i have a cable running inside the car so theres no risk of anything breaking off or getting wet. The cut out also opens in about 2 seconds and slams shut. ill try and get a couple good pics tommorow.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rsangha13
4genaccord, that's exactly what i was thinking of doing! Thanks for the tuning part. The only problem i can see with it is clearance to be an issue, especially on coil-overs/lower car. Did you run into any issues?
I placed mine slightly further back. As you can see from my second picture, it is just after the subframe/sway-bar. Which limits space quite abit.

I changed the location slightly so it was much higher off the ground, but basically "LEVEL" with the rest of the exhaust system.

The picture I posted is from preliminary fitment, the picture ANGLE is horrible and makes it look lower that it was.

My EJ1 is low, but not HELLAGAYFLUSHCANIBEATSLAMMEDFATLACE dumped by any means, basically a "pinkie" finger gap all the way around. Didn't have many issues with bottoming out while driving. It all depends on placement. If you place it between the block and subframe in the very OPEN area, you will have no issues. Stiffen up the suspension (if you can) to eliminate the possibility of bottoming out over bumps in the road.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe next winter when i have some time I'll try to make a different style of cutout which won't require a y-pipe section. I'll keep it TB style cause i love the simple mechanics of it.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you get a manual cut out?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
Quotes were back from 2003. After reading this, it made my decision easy.

I have RSR exmag full exhaust. I prefer a quite exhaust & love hearing my turbo over my exhaust on the street. We never got to dyno test it with it it open & closed, but i can tell you that it's night and day difference in power (after 5-6000rpms) and turbo recover/response is greatly increased my several hundred rpms.

When I took it up the the road course at BIR, I ran it open the entire weekend.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...07793&page=282

Mine is custom made my a fellow honda-tech member.
I'm sure others have thought about it, but he's the first person i know that has made one. Rather than using a electric motor that sits under the car and vibrates with the entire exhaust system & car, he made a "SERVO" powered e-cutout.

Quick specs:
case is 6x3x2", cutout/pipe is 10x8.5x3", 54" from cutout to box. Three wires, 20awg, 45" long. Only needs +12v & ground, then a grounded or powered switch for the signal wire (jumper select inside). TB can be angled ~15 degrees between the 2 sets of mounting holes in the flange. 2 adjustment pots for open & closed endpoint adjustment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_2RlSZoplw

Here's a DMH cutout, which is fairly fast vs all the other vids I've found. Still not as fast.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/photogallery.htm (look at bottom for vids)

Benefits:
- throttle body are tapered so this ensures proper seal when closed
- no motor attached to cutout. I don't have to worry about the "motor" breaking (common with many e-cut out) off due to vibiration of road racing, lunching.
- servo are proven to last +25,000 motion actuation & very rare to fail. If it does fail, servos are cheap and easy to replace.
- opens is about 1 sec with a push of a button
- can be hooked up to buttons (I use my AC button) or input to ecu to open automatically under specific settings (boost, rpm, ect).

I would keep the RSR exhaust/ecutout setup but because i'm shooting for more power, I've decided to just go full 3" exhaust with vbands.
For race events, I'll remove the midpipe & just run a turn-down pipe for improved turbo recover & topend power.

It it what it is...
To each his own.
I hope my post helps future h-tech members.
Charlie who made the cutout for you? That is a very quick opening and closing cutout and would love that for my car
Old 03-17-2013, 05:52 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by civickiller
where did you get a manual cut out?
I assume you meant cable operated, as true manual ones are just a "Y" and can be found EVERYWHERE... even a lot of parts stores have them.

It has been so long since I have installed a cable operated cut out that I hadn't realized the market has evaporated for them. QTP among other manufactures used to make them as well...

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr-Gasket/Mr-G...44831/10002/-1

Either way, if using a electric cut out do yourself a favor and buy quality. Something like a QTP or Doug's will suffice. Rebuild kits are about $40, but before you dive in be sure the manufacture you choose has a rebuild kit first (to save headaches down the road).

I am not sure how I feel about the throttle body method, although I do like the servo instead of actuator. Innovative, but the looks aren't the best; given if it is under a track car, it will get a few officials giggling and eventual talk of the racer crowd. Trend setter?, Probably not, but a good start.,
Old 03-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After looking at everyone's post I think I'll end up going with the manual wire cutout. The only reason I wanted electrical was because my friend had one on his el camino and it was controlled by a remote you could put on your keychain so you could open and close it without even being in the car. But after seeing these posts it looks like the wire is a lot quicker and cheaper so I'll take that route.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let us know if you find one other than the mr. Gasket cable cutout. I have been trying to find a stainless steel so I can have it welded in. After reading about motors vibrating lose, I think I am going to stay away from electric cut outs

Last edited by speedjunkie_g35; 03-17-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i used the dmh one for years a while back. the motors kept vibrating loose, one even fell off on the highway lol. dmh had good customer service though and hooked me up with a new motor that i jb welded on. that solved that problem. it was definitely cool going from stock exhaust to open 3" downpipe and a great way to get someone egged on to run'em lol.

in the end it wasnt worth the hassle, and i went to a kteller 3" piping kit with magnaflow muffler. only been pulled over twice for my exhaust in the 5 years its been on my car...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use this too for my turbo street car. Cutout has a remote and I push the button one time to open it. With that one push of the button it opens the cutout, changes fuel/ignition table, changes to high boost table with bbg, and ecu starts onboard datalogging.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Cutouts are nice: