EGT - Do i really need it ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT - Do i really need it ?

Setup
d16a6, bone stock
14b, HF mani, Custom 3" DP w/e-cutout , 2.5" mandrel exhaust, DSM 450's , JRC 6" FMIC, Turboedit

My question is do i really need to buy the EGT setup, or can i just use a Wideband (PLX) to tune from logging ?

I understand its a nice warning tool , but cant i just use the A/F for pretty much the same function ?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're talking about A/F gauge...it's not the most accurate to go by. The EGT would be your best bet.
An EGT gauge isn't necessary unless you're planning to run very high boost. Probably not, since your motor is still pretty much stock.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (Boosted Power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're talking about A/F gauge...it's not the most accurate to go by. The EGT would be your best bet.
An EGT gauge isn't necessary unless you're planning to run very high boost. Probably not, since your motor is still pretty much stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's talking about a wideband gauge so its accuracy is fine.

You could probably get away without an EGT if you go way conservative but I do use an EGT so I can't say for sure.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xavenged7x)

Thanks for the advice

but why would i need to be so conservative if i run a wideband ? that will tell me if im running lean, so the temperature shouldnt be an issue unless im in a lean condition or running hard on it for long periods of time (autocrossing/touge/agressive driving).

Im just trying to decide how useful it is as a tuning tool
should i just keep the $ and save it for somthing else like internals (or an s2k ) ?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: (SBD)

yeah, like I said you can skip it but there are things other than A/F ratios that will cause exhaust gas temps to rise (like timing, etc...)
Old 05-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (xavenged7x)

Its good to have, but no essential. I was running one on my buddies car and temps were going up and I didnt have the wideband hooked up and I knew it was a good tune and I knew what the EGTs usually were... so I let off and found out the fuel pump was dying/practically dead.... If I would of kept going Im pretty sure I woulda taken out a few ringlands or something.... There just good to have...

Blaze
Old 05-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT - Do i really need it ? (SBD)

Its not essential however its good insurance. Since my car is my daily driver and I rely on it to get to and from work I will take all the insurance I can get. I say get it if you can aford it.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (SBD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SBD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the advice

but why would i need to be so conservative if i run a wideband ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure if you'll be in a street car or track car, but in a street car, I like to have a more conservative tune to allow for the possiblity of bad gas primarily.

I know the wideband will show you you're running lean, but I've seen people go lean and detonate without warning on bad gas before.

For me, on a street car, a conservative tune (giving up little to no power) and using a bit more gas is worth it for peace of mind.

It's all up to the tuner though, and if that's you - tune it however you want, I am in no way a tuner and don't claim to be. I guess I'm just a pu$$y