ecu wont tune on crome. fried??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu wont tune on crome. fried??

hello
i recently installed dsm 450cc injectors in my turbo 93 civic and temporarily ran the car without a resistor box. I ran the car for ~30min before installing the resistor box. then i chipped the p06 ecu and used an ostrich to attempt to tune the car using free crome. whatever i tried to adjust on crome didnt seem to affect the car at all. idle air-fuel ratio is around 9.5 and it leans out a little before 4K rpm's. the car also wont rev past 4K rpm even while driving. i took the ecu out and sent it to xenocron to check my chipping job and ecu inspection and apparently it was fine. do you think my ecu is fried because running the dsm 450's without a resistor box? because the tune doesnt affect the afr's, or could there be another issue? im totally stumped, any advice is greatly appreciated.
jordan
Old 03-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ecu wont tune on crome. fried??

bump
Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Simple Instructions!

Find nearest garbage can and throw that POS program away. Call your nearest Hondata Dealer and buy S300. Why do people still waste their time with CRAP?
Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sgnlab
Simple Instructions!

Find nearest garbage can and throw that POS program away. Call your nearest Hondata Dealer and buy S300. Why do people still waste their time with CRAP?
this doesnt answer my question at all...Does it sound like the ecu is in limp mode because it bounces at 4k rpms? or could it be fried from running dsm injectors with no resistor box
Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holsetcivic
this doesnt answer my question at all...Does it sound like the ecu is in limp mode because it bounces at 4k rpms? or could it be fried from running dsm injectors with no resistor box
Sounds like a bad solder job or even a bad chip they always go bad. Follow my simple instructions buddy you will be glad you did!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sgnlab
Sounds like a bad solder job or even a bad chip they always go bad. Follow my simple instructions buddy you will be glad you did!
a bad solder job could be a possibility considering it was my first soldering experience and im using an ostrich for real-time programming so its not a bad chip.

hondata would be nice but i decided to use free crome for one reason..its free.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bad solder job could be a possibility considering it was my first soldering experience and im using an ostrich for real-time programming so its not a bad chip.

hondata would be nice but i decided to use free crome for one reason..its free.
you get what you pay for! FREE ='s NOTHING
Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello
i recently installed dsm 450cc injectors in my turbo 93 civic and temporarily ran the car without a resistor box. I ran the car for ~30min before installing the resistor box. then i chipped the p06 ecu and used an ostrich to attempt to tune the car using free crome. whatever i tried to adjust on crome didnt seem to affect the car at all. idle air-fuel ratio is around 9.5 and it leans out a little before 4K rpm's. the car also wont rev past 4K rpm even while driving. i took the ecu out and sent it to xenocron to check my chipping job and ecu inspection and apparently it was fine. do you think my ecu is fried because running the dsm 450's without a resistor box? because the tune doesnt affect the afr's, or could there be another issue? im totally stumped, any advice is greatly appreciated.
jordan
I doubt if it ran for 30 minutes barely idling and part throttle you did any damage...is if you go higher in the RPM range that you can blow an Injector Driver in the ECU.

Its something else...
Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try a dirrent ecu if u have any doubt thier cheap is the emulator connecting to ecu did u put resistor in
theirs no problem with chrome (free) i use it no problem on alot of cars even my dar made 550 in change
Old 03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did the same thing once when tuning a megasquirt. i fried the injector coil bindings. run a OHM meter across the fuel injector contact points. I bet that you will find that the resistance is off from its normal 2-3ohm for low impedance.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so earlier when i got home i pull the j1 jumper in the ecu and returned the ecu to stock..and now it runs perfect. good idle afr's, but oviously it leans out when hitting boost. and its got sooo much more power. so could the issue when using crome/ostrich by a bad chipping job on my part?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you remove the cheksum routine in crome? can you "Grab" the contents from the Emulator and load them in crome without a problem?? jump the CEL and see if it stays solid, if it does, its an ecu problem. i would follow each trace (river like lines on the bottom of the ECU) from each pin on the socket (bottom of ECU board) with a multimeter set to read OHM's and see if you get flow through from pin to pin...its a little bit of a pain and may be tricky if you dont have an unsocketed ecu for refference, but if xenocron said it was ok then you should be fine.....unless one of the soder joints cracked during shipping.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so earlier when i got home i pull the j1 jumper in the ecu and returned the ecu to stock..and now it runs perfect. good idle afr's, but oviously it leans out when hitting boost. and its got sooo much more power. so could the issue when using crome/ostrich by a bad chipping job on my part?
if you arent getting any CEL codes...its the tuning in the maps that is the problem
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it your first time to use the ostrich?

does it load correctly?

do this first.
put it a KNOWN working chip. just to elimate the part the the rom image is broken.

if you can rev more than 4t. ECU IS FINE!

then check ur crome program.
remove checksum, etc. PUT program.

or if you don't have a chip ready,
just cut J1,
see if you can rev more than 4t...

I understand where ure coming from. ive used crome for 4 years before i went with s300 and start selling s300 to my customers. s300 is a really greeat product but if u cant afford. crome will do. just need more patience and good understanding.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice everyone.
when i pulled j1, the car would rev past 4k so im guessing the ecu itself is good. im getting a CEL but i havent had a chance to pull the codes yet. this is my first time attempting to tune and first time using an ostrich..on crome it says that the ostrich is connected to the ecu, and the 1st thing i did was remove the checksum..so im still confused as to why the ecu wont adjust to crome. im wondering if the d15b7 basemap im using is incorrect..i got it off pgmfi.org