Notices

EBAY Intercoolers leaking??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBAY Intercoolers leaking??

Just got back from visiting the local dyno tuner, he asked if I have had my Ebay intercooler pressure tested as 5 out of every 7 he has seen leak... Mine seems alright but hard to say without mounting a boost gauge on the hotside.

I am refering to the large coolers that come under different names SSAC etc etc

Anyone had any problems with theres? Mine goes on the dyno tomorow so will know then.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had one on my 240 and it worked great pressure tested it to 30psi and was fine. I also put a temp. gun to it and it was cooling better than my friends greddy.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (poorboy44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poorboy44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had one on my 240 and it worked great pressure tested it to 30psi and was fine. I also put a temp. gun to it and it was cooling better than my friends greddy.</TD></TR></TABLE> Thats good to know, hope mine is OK. The tuner said they normally leak where the core meets the end tanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (turbozxi)

take the IC off of the car...cap one end and use a cap with air compressor fitting on the other end....feed in 30-40psi or so...you will hear it leaking if there is a leak obviously.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the IC off of the car...cap one end and use a cap with air compressor fitting on the other end....feed in 30-40psi or so...you will hear it leaking if there is a leak obviously.</TD></TR></TABLE>I would normally but its a big hassle to get it off. I guess I'm just interested in seeing how wide spread the problem is.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 PM
something different

its probably fine.

i doubt that many leak. sounds like he might have been just talking to sound knowledgable. if he heard about it, we'd probably have about 40 threads about it already here. usually they are fairly well constructed actually. my brother, his friend, and my buddy all have the SSAC intercooler. its the only product i'd buy from them, and theirs all work flawlessly. we tested them all..and they cool remarkably well. its a good design.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redzcstandardhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its probably fine.

i doubt that many leak. sounds like he might have been just talking to sound knowledgable. if he heard about it, we'd probably have about 40 threads about it already here. usually they are fairly well constructed actually. my brother, his friend, and my buddy all have the SSAC intercooler. its the only product i'd buy from them, and theirs all work flawlessly. we tested them all..and they cool remarkably well. its a good design.</TD></TR></TABLE> He's a big Hks, Apexi seller I thought this might of influenced what he said to. But with a 3 or 4 Nissan R34 GTRs in his shop evertytime I go, he definitely doesn't need to talk crap to seem knowledgable. He is a very well respected tuner.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 PM
something different

i wouldnt doubt his knowledge on high end, great quality stuff.

i would doubt his knowledge on middle of the road, ebay stuff.

i wouldnt loose any sleep over your cheapo intercooler.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:23 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

Spray a little bit of water mixed with soap around the welds/wherever you think it could leak from when you do the pressure test. If it is, it'll make a bunch of bubbles.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daveG)

what ebay cooler? im getting the XO2 one and many 240 boards swear bye these, i couldnt find a bad think about them,

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daveG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Spray a little bit of water mixed with soap around the welds/wherever you think it could leak from when you do the pressure test. If it is, it'll make a bunch of bubbles. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a sure way to tell
Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> He's a big Hks, Apexi seller I thought this might of influenced what he said to. But with a 3 or 4 Nissan R34 GTRs in his shop evertytime I go, he definitely doesn't need to talk crap to seem knowledgable. He is a very well respected tuner. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Apex'i offers the best IC currently made. The best core and the best endtanks.

so many people sleep on Apex'i IC's.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (monkey marmot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monkey marmot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Apex'i offers the best IC currently made. The best core and the best endtanks.

so many people sleep on Apex'i IC's.</TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah most likely but checkout the price difference.

It is a XOXO intercooler they are the same as the SSAC and others. Thanks for the input all.

No-one few a leaker yet?

I'll report back how my GT2871r equipped s14 does, hopefully tomorow.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it went fine no leakage was noticed. Made about 330whp on pump gas with no problems.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:58 PM

nice, i was gonna test that fmic out w. my semi built gsr turbo, 330-350whp = no leakage I will test it out around 400-430whp, and will post the result in few days.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Yeah most likely but checkout the price difference.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can pick up an Apex'i silvia core with your choice of endtanks for high $300's, which is well worth it. Even the skyline core isn't much more than $500.

the silvia core is 3" thick and I think the skyline core is 3.5" thick both are around 3 feet long.

edit: nice numbers OP.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:14 AM

Default Re: (Boosted Chemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Chemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what ebay cooler? im getting the XO2 one and many 240 boards swear bye these, i couldnt find a bad think about them,

thats a sure way to tell </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. I got my x02 intercooler in yesterday. It looks real good - welds are great. I have two pictures on my cardomain site...not really 'up-close' pictures - but decent.

paid 140 shipped. The site said it was pressure tested - and lost .2psi....which isn't bad at all.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:32 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (TheKINGPin)

jrc 30x8 for the win
Old 02-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monkey marmot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can pick up an Apex'i silvia core with your choice of endtanks for high $300's, which is well worth it. Even the skyline core isn't much more than $500.

the silvia core is 3" thick and I think the skyline core is 3.5" thick both are around 3 feet long.

edit: nice numbers OP.</TD></TR></TABLE> Thanks, I guess it depends on your budget.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monkey marmot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Apex'i offers the best IC currently made. The best core and the best endtanks.

so many people sleep on Apex'i IC's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apexi cant touch precision

My intake temps are DRASTICLY lower on my precision (mid 600 core) than my buddies silvia apexi (with apexi endtanks as well).
Old 02-15-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: EBAY Intercoolers leaking?? (turbozxi)

no problems here mine works great!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EBAY Intercoolers leaking?? (mr_hahn73)

yeah i wouldn't buy the loss of .2 psi.

what core is it... the plated-and-shell or extruded-tube?

only intercooler that i seen with a very small loss is the air to water.

most people have to realize that is aboslutely incorrect that "any intercooler is better than no intercooler."

Old 02-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b20turboic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20turboic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Apexi cant touch precision

My intake temps are DRASTICLY lower on my precision (mid 600 core) than my buddies silvia apexi (with apexi endtanks as well). </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you comparing the air temps before it goes into the intercooler also...

i could be wrong but i dont think air temps are the same going in on every car... i would imagine they vary with stuff like the motor, compression, afr's and the size of the turbo that was used and amount of boost...

now if you swapped IC on the same car then cool... thats a good comparison
Old 02-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (booja)

no temp maily is effected be the turbo compressing the air under newton's ideal gas law.

the temp raise's and the density decrease's, once in the intercooler there is a reduction of flow&lt; a drop in psi&gt; so that the heat tranfer can take place.

some people think if you double the heat transfer area the more effcient the intercooler.
not true if you increase the core by 10% you will only get about of 10% of the amount that was not take out the first time.

like if you have a 70% effcient intercooler the 10% gain in area will only give you a total of 73% new effciency level.