Notices

ebay intercooler, Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay intercooler, Good or Bad?

What do you guys think about ebay intercoolers?
or
Old 02-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (b16a4)

Yes

Some are good and some are bad....??
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (Zeusfire69)

Good. Hard to screw up really... and prices are usually excellent. There is lots of discussion on this here if you search.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (CRXDrew)

Mine says jdmsport.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (tweekerz)

ebay intercoolers are great
i run a 28x8x3.5 intercooler on my 400whp integra.
i also run a ebay intercooler on my evo with no problems

Modified by riceball777 at 8:25 AM 2/23/2007
Old 02-22-2007, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (riceball777)

On your ebay? <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceball777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ebay intercoolers are great
i run a 28x8x3.5 intercooler on my 400whp integra.
i also run a ebay intercooler on my ebay with no problems </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (turbozxi)

type o
i ment evo

Old 02-22-2007, 11:49 PM
NooB

seen these make 700+whp and not even get hot..
Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (IT'S ME DAVID)

Used many there great
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (90dxhmt)

i use one and i have no problems what so ever. it is the only thing that i went cheap on in my setup and turns out to be a good deal for me.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (CRXDrew)

[QUOTE=CRXDrew]Good. Hard to screw up really... and prices are usually excellent. .

exactly.... i liked mine... the only problem i had were the mounting tabs on the top of the FMIC both broke off after a while which was a disapointment... but it was still worth the cash.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (turboH22Aakkord)

if youre doing a high hp application (500+ whp), i would go get the endtanks re-welded
Old 02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (zeimbo)

Can't beat $80 shipped!!

No problems with mine so far. This is a total budget setup so I don't really care, but if I were putting a lot of money into a setup and wanted to get the most out of it, then I would go with a real intercooler.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
bag

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre doing a high hp application (500+ whp), i would go get the endtanks re-welded</TD></TR></TABLE>

what are you talking about? did you blow up yours at 500 hp ? or making **** up like that rest of this place
Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre doing a high hp application (500+ whp), i would go get the endtanks re-welded</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't think that's completely necessary. installed a few on cars boosting around 20 psi with no problems. but i guess it depends on the condition/quality of the piece you get, ebay quality control isn't the best
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (khoalie)

i didnt make anything up, i said that thats what i would do if i bought one of those intercoolers because the welds and endtanks look so cheap and have busted before.
i dont trust the welds on those cheap intercoolers. i have dealt with more than a handful of them and most of the issues are with the endtanks. i would probably use the ebay core for a build if i didnt get my spearco so cheap.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by khoalie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i don't think that's completely necessary</TD></TR></TABLE>
its just a precautionary thing. better safe than sorry i guess ya know? i like to have all the bases covered with my car because its daily driven and its relatively cheap to weld new endtanks on
Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
bag

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt make anything up, i said that thats what i would do if i bought one of those intercoolers because the welds and endtanks look so cheap and have busted before.
i dont trust the welds on those cheap intercoolers. i have dealt with more than a handful of them and most of the issues are with the endtanks. i would probably use the ebay core for a build if i didnt get my spearco so cheap.

its just a precautionary thing. better safe than sorry i guess ya know? i like to have all the bases covered with my car because its daily driven and its relatively cheap to weld new endtanks on</TD></TR></TABLE>

i honestly dont know what you're talking about? i see you mention sparco in my opinion they're equal except sparco has the name....what specifc brand off ebay did you order that had crappy welds? i know most in this thread are talking about the obx and ssautochrome/xsturbo stuff...im just curious so i know not to by
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (bag)

im talking about when you order a quality intercooler, they usually use thicker endtanks and the welds penetrate with like 7018 rod, ebay intercoolers are usually taiwanese stuff where they take just throw together some endtanks with 6011. spearco, yonaka, johnny racecar, full-race, etc make a manifold that you can actually feel the quality when youre holding the intercooler.
apexi also uses a different design method for their intercoolers that is really nice, some like it and some dont.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">endtanks look so cheap and have busted before.</TD></TR></TABLE>link? pics?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know what you mean. I've put so many of these intercoolers on high whp cars,not just honda,not just 4cyl..and there hasn't been one problem yet,no leaking,no nothing..highest boost was something like ~28 on a straight T4 on a 13b rotary engine,,so I don't know what you're talking about or if you've ever even used the cooler...
Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (ryan89crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryan89crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">link? pics?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea because im going to create a thread about my friends or customers entank cracking. all it takes is hitting a bump the wrong way in your car to crack the weld or going over a dip head on, potholes, too much manifold heat, etc.

ive dealt with ssac, ive dealt with turboxs, ive dealt with "b16 b18 honda b series turbo manifold fast 700hp!" kits before and they are nothing but problems. you have to understand that taiwan is a country where you can get anything, and i mean literally almost anything replicated, for cheap as fudge.
which intercoolers are you talking about specifically? cuz when i hear egay, all i think is ssac, turboxs, "b16 b18 fast turbo intercooler honda". obx has really stepped up their game and i wouldnt go so far to say its comparable to spearco or blitz or greddy or apexi, but its definitely a lot better than before. pwr also makes good intercoolers as well.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (Mr Wonderfull)

im not talking about hitting it like full-on doing 60mph or something, im talking about if your endtank has slightly too much stress on it with an ebay intercooler, it will pop the weld right off because of the sh1tty bead and the shabby material.
i know what youre saying and there is a difference between intercoolers and other parts on ebay. but the majority of people, and also when most people say ebay, they are talking about $45.99+$10.00 shipping for a 30x12x3.5" intercooler or whatnot. can you get an intercooler off ebay that will work? yes. are you going to have problems with it? toss a coin. im saying that a lot, if not most, intercooler cores dont differ that much, but re-weld some decent endtanks on there and do a nice bead, and youll be a lot better off in the long run
Old 02-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you get what you pay for enough said
Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (dr.NAPIER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr.NAPIER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you get what you pay for enough said</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well not always try buying a manifold
Old 02-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad? (90dxhmt)

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but the welds on my $80 FMIC look excellent, and I pressure tested it to 100psi, absolutely no leaks.

The thing I would be more concerned with is the core design. I've owned a precision intercooler and the core design was sooo much better than the cheapo I have on my car currently.

The efficiency and flow of an intercooler come from the core design. And that's what you pay for when you buy a quality piece. There are a lot of articles explaining the differences in cores, so I won't go into that. But I just wanted to point out that the difference in quality between expensive and cheap intercoolers really comes down to the core, and not the end tank welds. In my experience anyways.

Quick Reply: ebay intercooler, Good or Bad?