Notices

Eagle Titanium Rods? Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle Titanium Rods? Any good?

I always see people running the normal H-beam eagle rods CRS5394A3D but what about the CRST5394A3D, the titanium ones. Are they any good?

Thanks

Nath
Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Eagle Titanium Rods? Any good? (Nath)

dont waste your money.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle Titanium Rods? Any good? (DaveF)

Why? Are they any good? I can get them for the same price as normal h-beam rods.
Anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle Titanium Rods? Any good? (Nath)

i highly doubt you will get titanium anything for the same price as steel.

titanium is strong, but will break, where as a steel rod may absorb/bend before it just snaps.

titanium rods will be more harsh on your bearings due to the nature of the material, just as an aluminum rod should be much "easier" on a rod bearing.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so your just saying go for the steel one?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i highly doubt you will get titanium anything for the same price as steel.

titanium is strong, but will break, where as a steel rod may absorb/bend before it just snaps.

titanium rods will be more harsh on your bearings due to the nature of the material, just as an aluminum rod should be much "easier" on a rod bearing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he meant he can get one Titanium rod for the price of 4 Eagle Steel rods
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Either way what difference does it make. Are they any good? Whats the pros and cons?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nath)

get the steel ones. i wouldnt get the titaniums unless you plan on tearing the engine down after every event. most likely you will be going through bearings like no other.. then again... dont take my word for it. haha

theres gotta be a reason why the fastest drag cars are using aluminum rods over any other materials...... ......... ....... .......

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think he meant he can get one Titanium rod for the price of 4 Eagle Steel rods </TD></TR></TABLE>

seriously !
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaveF)

Thats the sort of advice I was after.

Thanks very much
Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think its fair to say that this is an incorrect statement. Lets just take a look at some of the production cars that use Titanium rods......

The Acura NSX all years
All ferrari's from the 355 (1995) on up. Even the F512M (1995) last year of the testarossa body style used them. The F512M
Newer lamboghini V12 models i think from the mercialago on.
Formula 1
The Z06 corvette
and probably others that i can't think of at this time.

Titanium is the ideal rod material because it offers incredible strength coupled with light weight. There are many forms of titanium alloy in various strengths and costs, each with unique mechanical property features and strength. The most common is 6Al4V, while not the strongest of all titanium alloys, properly processed can acheive steel strength with nearly half the weight. Titanium as a metal is also only expensive because of the difficulty in processing it from ore, as its the 9th most abundant element in the earths crust.

Titanium and magnesium will without a doubt become more and more common place in the automobile sector. As gas prices rise and piston engines reach the pinicle of effiency the only other alternative to reduce fuel consumtions are weight and aero dynamics or electric engines or alternative fuels. Titanium is about 47% lighter than steel and magnesium is about 77% lighter than steel or 34% lighter than aluminum. Magesium is a relatively underdeveloped metal and improvements are being made to its mechanical strength properties with new alloyed forms of the material to allow its use for replacement of aluminum.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Re: (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get the steel ones. i wouldnt get the titaniums unless you plan on tearing the engine down after every event. most likely you will be going through bearings like no other.. then again... dont take my word for it. haha

theres gotta be a reason why the fastest drag cars are using aluminum rods over any other materials...... ......... ....... .......

seriously ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think PRICE becomes a huge factor in why people use Aluminum rods. I run GRP aluminum rods in my Mustang as it's 99% race car, and they are several hundred dollars cheaper than billets, and even more so when compared to Ti rods.

I'm with omniman, Titanium rods have been used in a multitude of production cars with zero issues, so I wouldn't be afraid to use them if you can get them for a good price.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted92)

any of those production engines pushing over 250HP per cyl ????? we arent talking about production engines here.

bring something up that is "arguable" ...........

price ? profesional race teams that run top fuel/funny car/pro mod ETC... are they worried about price ?

Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

z06 has titanium exhaust not rods
Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">z06 has titanium exhaust not rods</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you like to place a wager on that?

And top fuel is a totally different ball of wax. the engines make more power than they can use. if they didint then the clutch slipage would not be the single most important factor in a good ET. Aside from that the engines in top fuel are basically detonating all the time and the cylinder pressure is so high the fuel is so volitile that aluminum is used as a cushin for the unpredictable cylinder pressure spikes so the car can make it down the track. most of the components are basically disposable in the top fuel engine.steel cranks get less than 10 passes before their junk. with an engine that is that on the edge and relies soley on fuel and boost as a means to generate power.

The OP is building a street car not a top fuel car so why try to use top fuel as a foundation or reasoning logic for the proper use a parts?

The OP would probably have money better spent on a set of cunningham ultra lights or crower maxi lites if he is looking for a strong light weight rod for a street car or mild track car. budget is a critical portion of any build. I have no idea what the eagle rods are made from (grade of titanium) or how they are manufactured, which plays a big roll in their quality and durability. anyone can make a heavy strong steel rod which offers no benefits other than strength. making a light rod that is also strong allowing increased engine response and efficiency is nice to have but its more expensive. with the new turbo technology it allows anyone to make huge power regardless of their combination of parts.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:54 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">z06 has titanium exhaust not rods</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Z06 has Titanium Valves and Titanium Rods
Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The Z06 has Titanium Valves and Titanium Rods </TD></TR></TABLE>
sorry your wrong, I actually own an ls6 motor and the rods are not titanium
Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sorry your wrong, I actually own an ls6 motor and the rods are not titanium</TD></TR></TABLE>

The zo6 has an LS7, not an LS6. And it DOES have titanium intake valves and Titanium rods. Seen and weighed them in person.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 AM

i think theyre talking about the ls7 in the c6z, personaly i cant recall if theyre titanium im not a vette addict but the c6z's are very nice

and in the nsx, when building engine for boost they use the stock titanium rods until they start going to 6 or 700hp +
Old 08-06-2008, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (DisturbedK24)

And as a general rule, I wouldn't push a Ti rod much past 100hp per cly. While Ti is extremely strong, Ti rods are usually designed to be ultra light while still being reliable. They are ment to be used in NA applications that have very high redlines.

Now, if a set of Ti rods was designed to be beefy, like a set of H-beam steel rods, then go to town. You'll probly never make it fail in that case. Buy the eagles and show everybody what they can do. You might prove us all wrong
Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sorry your wrong, I actually own an ls6 motor and the rods are not titanium</TD></TR></TABLE>

Come on Geoff get with the program! It seems everyone is referring to the newest Z06 engine the LS7 , straight from Chevy's website

"LS7 V8 Engine

Inside every Z06 is an LS7 aluminum-block 7.0 Liter V8 that produces a Society of Automotive Engineers-certified 505 hp and 470 lb.-ft. of torque. Hand-built at the GM Performance Build Center in Wixom, Mich., the LS7 engine contains a litany of racing-derived components, such as an eight-quart dry-sump lubrication system, titanium valves and connecting rods, forged-steel crankshaft with six-bolt main bearings, high-profile cam, and Computer Numerical Controlled (CNC) machined heads for better air/fuel flow. Even with its impressive performance, the engine does not incur a federal government gas-guzzler penalty."

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/c...n.jsp

So I guess me and Steve are right and you're wrong and you are right and me and Steve are wrong too. LS6 VS LS7
Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can get A SET of Ti rods for $300. then do it. just let us know the problems you have if any occur. if you break them they were only $300 so go buy a new pair that arent Ti