Notices

Eagle LS rods/vitara pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle LS rods/vitara pistons?

alright i've been hearing about 80 different things about 80 relative subjects but no clear answers
i've read pages and pages on the ls rods in a d16 debate
ive read all about the crower bushing being pressed in to make stock ls rods fit
i understand d series wrist pins are 19mm or something like that and ls wrist pins are 21mm i believe?(correct me if i'm wrong, i've gone through alotttttt of info on the subject lately)
my confusion lies in the vitara wrist pin
nobodys really put a direct answer on what size it is
the majority of what i've read says that the vitara wrist pin is 21mm, while one or two neysayers said it's 19mm
also, i've heard one or two people briefly mention something about stock ls rods going with vitara's for cheap turbo builds
but i have not heard a single thing about how eagle ls h beams mate with vitara pistons
i know you need to notch the block, i'm just confused about the wrist pins
do you need a bushing to make them fit?
or do they fit smoothly without modification?
will somebody pleaseeee put this to rest for me
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle LS rods/vitara pistons?

bump
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was actually going to do something similar to that. Crower doesn't stock the bushings anymore, however they will make you any bushing that you want. I called them and the rep told me to send in the rods and a sample piston and they would make me the bushing. I got an estimate of around $70 installed. I was going to use stock LS rods with stock d16 pistons.

Adriano
Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, do you already have LS eagle rods? If not, just buy the right ones for a d16

Adriano
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actualy have a set of each....i think
i'm in that whole crs-5394-a dealy
i've got a set of d16 h beams(not sure if they're actually eagles though, bought em used on craigslist with a scored rod cap for cheap as hell and they have a different stamping than the eagles i've seen. shape is almost the same, but slightly different than the other ones i have)
and then i have a set marked crs-5394-a
i've read up on the whole ls and d series rod thing
as far as i can tell, they work just fine. wrist pin fits perfectly with no play
i'm just wondering because i also have a set of vitaras i'd like to mate with these and sell them as a whole shortblock
i'm not so much worried about how my build is gonna turn out as i am ripping someone off
i know they're all worth the money, but i don't wanna sell someone a d16 built bottom end with ls rods that's gonna throw a rod after 100 miles ya know?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if there is ZERO mods needed to get vitaras on d16-spec forged rods, that means they're the same size as a d16 wrist pin.

People use LS rods because STOCK LS rods are stronger than STOCK D16 rods. When you use forged rods eagle/manely/crower/etc, you're best off with the D16-spec rods.

FYI If you use Vitaras on stock LS rods, you need to make sure the bushing is reamed out to use a floating wrist pin. Stock pistons need press-fit, vitaras need floating wrist pins.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to mention i'd like to set the confusion on the whole matter straight for anyone else in the same situation
i know alottaaaaaa people sell ls rods as d series rods and i know alota people love going with the eagle/vitara build
just wanna set the record straight
also, was it 70 bucks a rod? or 70 bucks for the set of bushings?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
Well if there is ZERO mods needed to get vitaras on d16-spec forged rods, that means they're the same size as a d16 wrist pin.

People use LS rods because STOCK LS rods are stronger than STOCK D16 rods. When you use forged rods eagle/manely/crower/etc, you're best off with the D16-spec rods.

FYI If you use Vitaras on stock LS rods, you need to make sure the bushing is reamed out to use a floating wrist pin. Stock pistons need press-fit, vitaras need floating wrist pins.

not quite the direct answer i was looking for but works enough for me
thank you
i was just wondering about the vitara wrist pin mostly
cuz i've heard people tell me the vitara wrist pin is the same size as the ls wrist pin but i wasnt sure and i kinda just assumed ls h beams would be the same as stock ls rods
and to clarify, i have not been able to verify if the vitaras fit smoothly on either rod. my vitaras are already mounted on stock z6 rods and i do not have any tools around capable of removing the snap rings so i cannot compare(no tools at all since moving into this apartment :-( )
i have been able to mount my forged SRP's onto my eagle's marked crs-5394-a, and that is it
hopefully that'll help anyone whose confused about the eagle h beam stampings
sorry for any confusion
Old 07-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

88-00 D-series pin = 19mm
89-01 B-series = 21mm
H-series = 22mm

LS Rods require more than just a different wrist pin size to put on d-series pistons/cranks. You need to shave down the width/thickness of the big end and small end on the LS rods. You'll also want ARP rod bolts if you plan to rev it higher than 7500 a lot.

To put it plainly, it is hardly worth it to put vitaras on stock LS rods now. People started doing this when forged rods were >$500. Now they're $250-300 shipped, hold way more power, and drop right in.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

makes sense
never even considered using stock ls rods
just wondering about these h beams i have
thanks for the clarification
Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hate to bring back an older thread, but for clarification, vitaras will fit on d series forged rods, correct?