Notices

dsm 450 help......................

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 PM
mike93eh

Default dsm 450 help......................

okay im going to be putting some dsm 450's in my 93 civic and was wanting to make sure i have everything right.

i will need the resistor box, right?
will i need new clips or will my obd1 clips work if modified?
does anyone have a wiring diagram or write up on wiring the resistor box?

thanks for any help guys!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: dsm 450 help...................... (mike93eh)

You need the resistors, but you can use either the resistor box or individual resistors from radio shack. It's the same concept... the resistor box is easier imo.

I don't know if you can use your clips, but the DSM ones are pretty cheap on ebay. About $24 maybe less.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:03 PM
mike93eh

thanks for the diagram. do you know what color wires i should hook the red wire up to? should i hook it up at the plugs on the shock tower or run the wire to the ecu?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure u use some good fuel management no hack here
Old 05-12-2005, 07:05 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: dsm 450 help...................... (blackccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure u use some good fuel management no hack here</TD></TR></TABLE>

using e-manage..

BTW, what resistor box does everyone usually use? the stock mitsubishi one? or some honda one?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my part of the how-to im making.....
Step 7: Installing Dsm Injectors
--&gt;Buy a set of dsm injectors

--&gt;First, relieve fuel pressure just like you did while installing the fuel pump, if not relieved already.

--&gt; Using a flat head screwdriver, you can unclip the metal wire that holds the injector clips onto the stock injectors.

--&gt; Take a 10mm socket with an extension on it, loosen and remove the three nut that hold the fuel rail down to the manifold.

--&gt; The fuel rail should now be able to pulled off. When the injectors slip out of the manifold, there will be two o-rings below it, make sure you dont loose them. The injectors pop right out of the fuel rail. Here is the stock injectors(brown) compared to the dsm injectors(blue)

--&gt; Cut the two wires leading to the stock injector clips, leave enough wire on either side so that you can rewrire the stock clips back in if you need/want to.

Strip the two wires

--&gt; The four pairs wires coming off the fuel rail will have a common color of wire and one random color wire. If you look at the dsm clips, it will also have one common color wire and one random color wire.
The fuel rail has common yellow/black wire, and the dsm has common red wire. Take the common from each side, and solder them together for each clip. Then take the random wires and solder those together. order does not matter.

SOlder the wires together and use electrical tape to cover and protect the exposed wire.

--&gt;Now that the clips are on, it's on to perparing the o-rings for installation. The tip of the injector on the dsm is wider in diameter then the stock injectors. This means you need to either buy larger o-ring injectors, or bore out the o-rings to fit.
Here is an side by side comparison of the diameter difference.

--&gt; I decided to bore out the o-rings due to time constraint. I happened to have the perfect dremel bit to do the job.

--&gt; I only used the larger hard o-ring because the soft ones would not work with the dremel. I HAVE NOT had any leaks by only useing large o-ring.

--&gt; Install the injectors just like you took them out. tighten down 3 nuts to hold fuel rail in. the blue looks good.

[Font color=yellow]Step 8: Installing Injector Resistor Box[/font]

--&gt; Some obd0 honda's and some other cars use low impedance injectors which need a resistor box. You can find these at a junk yard or for cheap on ebay.
[br /]

--&gt; On obd1 honda's, there is a "dead end" clip on the wiring harness in the right corner of the engine bay. (obd2 has this clip under the intake manifold). This clip has the electrical power running through it that goes to the injectors. It is right next to the clutch master cylinder.
[br /]
When you find the clip, pop off the Protecting cover so it exposes the inside.

--&gt; Using a multimeter, check for conductivity between each clip and the end's of the "dead-end" connector. The idea is to find which wires actually are routed to the injector clips, so seeing if electricity can flow, you can guess-and-check and find out.
There are eight different wires going into the "dead-end" connector, all of which you must check to see if they are the winners! According to h-t, it could be random placed, so do not assume and follow my example. CHECK FOR YOURSELF TO MAKE SURE!

The red dots are showing which ones came out conductive for me. AGAIN, CHECK FOR YOURSELF TO MAKE SURE!

--&gt; Once you found out which ones are conductive, move down 2-4 inches and cut the wire. This break in to wire is where you will have your resistor tie into the system. Strip both sides of the new striped wires.

--&gt; If you take a look at your resistor box, there should be 5 wires coming out of it. Four of them should be common color and one of them should be a different color. Strip all the ends if they are not already.

--&gt; Next, Take the Single different color wire from the resistor box and solder it to all Four of the wires on the "dead-end" side. See diagram for better explaintion.

Connect Each one of the Four common color wires from the resistor box to one of the four yellow/black wires on the Injector side of the cut. Solder each wire seperately, no order is nessecary.

Here is a Diagram I made for better explaintion.

--&gt; Wrap all the exposed wires up with electrical tape and mount the resistor box in the corner. here is the finished product.

That's all of my how-to that envolves the dsm injectors w/ resistor box
hope it helps
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 PM
mike93eh

uhhh yea that definetly helps hahaha.. perfect.

thanks everyone!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great Write Up!!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you beleive that's only step 7 and 8 of my full turbo install write up :D
Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: dsm 450 help...................... (saxqtzk)

def good write up.

personally i prefer to use inline resistors than the box, i feel its easier....
Old 05-12-2005, 07:57 PM
mike93eh

never mind doesnt look like im getting dsm's anymore.

been talking with greddy in regards to e-manage and the last question i asked they told me this...

"Yes, the emanage can only handle injectors 50% larger than stock. I would say about 310cc injector is the largest you can go. RC Engineering should have that injector if you plan on purchasing it. Thanks for your email."

___
GReddy Performance Products Inc.
9 Vanderbilt
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 588-8300
(949) 588-6318 fax
http://www.greddy.com
bi

what kind of bullshit is that? only 50% larger than stock?!@!? i dont believe it.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh)

Yeah greddy loves those 310cc injectors..Just get a chipped ecu and run uberdata or crome and some 550cc injectors.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:33 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (Treblarefils)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Treblarefils &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah greddy loves those 310cc injectors..Just get a chipped ecu and run uberdata or crome and some 550cc injectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ehh.. kit came with e-manage dont have the extra money to be changing fuel management. i dont really need anything bigger than 310cc but i was trying to save money and get dsm 450's.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh)

I see... i really dont see why they wont work i always thought it could handle injectors larger than 310cc.