Notices

Driving a Turbocharged Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving a Turbocharged Car

Ok, I know a lot of people read this forum for advice on their first turbo (i'm one of them). So i also realized unless they have really cool friends with turbo'd cars, then they have no idea how to drive them. I mean they have no idea whats good and bad for the engine. I was wondering if any of you guys who have had turbos for a long time or have had to learn lessons, had any advice for noobs (like me). Things like long trips, driving in hot weather, driving in cold weather, when to shift to take advantage of your power band, etc.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Driving a Turbocharged Car (IntegraPir4te)

- Drive normally and don't beat the crap out of the car everytime you get it in. Be nice to the car and it "will love you long time".
- Let it warm up...let the stock temp needle get to the normal spot, but wait for like 5-10 more minutes of driving because it's not actually up to temp yet.
- Change the oil regularly.
- Watch the temp gauge in hot weather
- If funds and you allow, a few simple gauges can maybe help prevent damage. i.e. water temp & oil pressure.
- Long trip, just let it idle to cool down for a few minutes when getting gas or something and check the oil level each time.
- Get it dynoed to see where you make your power and then shift accordingly
- Get it tuned, tuning is as vital as you need air to breathe.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driving a Turbocharged Car (IntegraPir4te)

CHECK YOUR OIL ONCE A DAY

As far as driving is concerned. Hot weather you don't want to boost too much, cold weather is just a lot of fun (esp after your tires warm up), long trips just take it easy on the boosting etc.

I don't really know what you're looking for us to tell you. There is no secret, just common sense and only you will be able to learn how to drive your own car when it's boosted.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Driving a Turbocharged Car (AF-P Dunc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
- Let it warm up...let the stock temp needle get to the normal spot, but wait for like 5-10 more minutes of driving because it's not actually up to temp yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this really required? 5-10 mintues of warmup from a cold start seems like forever and I heard that it is bad for your cat if you are running one like I am. I normally start it up and let it warm up for a minute before I off slowly until it gets to operating temp. It warms up the engine a hell of a lot quicker.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driving a Turbocharged Car (EK k kay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is this really required? 5-10 mintues of warmup from a cold start seems like forever and I heard that it is bad for your cat if you are running one like I am. I normally start it up and let it warm up for a minute before I off slowly until it gets to operating temp. It warms up the engine a hell of a lot quicker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My interpretation of his statement is this:

He is saying that the motor should reach the norm operating temp mark on the cluster & then allow 10 more minutes of driving before mashing the go peddle. This ensures that everything is warmed & ready to go.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:57 PM
BCICAN

Default Re: Driving a Turbocharged Car (DJ_SaNdOz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ_SaNdOz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My interpretation of his statement is this:

He is saying that the motor should reach the norm operating temp mark on the cluster & then allow 10 more minutes of driving before mashing the go peddle. This ensures that everything is warmed & ready to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your interpretation is correct. For clarification I did mean:
- Turn the car on, let it sit for a minute or two to get the juices flowin'. Then ***** foot it a little bit just to get it warmed up. Once the needle has reached it's normal position (while driving easy), drive for an additional 5-10 minutes depending on how cold it is. The colder, the longer. This will let not only the coolant temps to get to the normal position, but more importantly the <U>oil</U> to get where it needs to be in terms of temps.

Basically when my stock gauge reads normal, my mechanical gauge reads between 140-160. Then the additional time gets it closer to the 180 mark while also letting the oil get warmer.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!

2. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!

3. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!

4. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!

Old 12-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

Its all in the tune. A Great tune gives you a great turbo car.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Re: (RevTek 6)

X2 tuning is key to relieability.

people with a great tune and great EMS and Fuel management have nothing to worry about toher than the normal maintaining and whatnot

people who decide they want AFC hack and FMU have much more to worry about.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 AM

im surprised that no one has mentioned a turbo timer/proper cool down time. it seems fairly well known that turboed cars need time to cool down whether it be the result of manually turning the car off a few minutes after the car is parked/you are finished driving or by using a turbo timer. this will prolong the life of both your turbo and your engine.

also other 'intangible' type things that havent been mentioned...using good vacuum sources for things like bov and wastegate, always checking for loose bolts, fluid levels, etc. and just good ole fashioned maintenance practices...
Old 12-03-2006, 03:48 PM

see this is what i'm talking about. lots of good info that really helps out those of us who have never driven a turbo car. nice info.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntegraPir4te)

Honestly the only things I changed once I went boost is more frequent oil changes, and allowing a couple minutes of idling after hard driving...i think i dirve my car harder now then i did before boost.

BTW; as everybody has said, spend $ on the tune..and tell your tuner to be conservative with the timing--especially if you can only get 91 oct.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!

2. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!

3. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!

4. BEAT THE HELL OUT OF YOUR CAR!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats how I work it....
Old 12-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ProjectDarkBlack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectDarkBlack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats how I work it.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

seriously...

i didnt let my **** warm up, if ever...

its tuned... im beatin the **** out of it !! reguardless.

never smackin the limiter for no reason though. but definitly getin on it for no reason !!! HAHA HP= too much fun
Old 12-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (dturbocivic)

i follow the advice that AF-P Dunc said, its how ive been driving my various turbo cars for the past 3 years.

the oil needs longer to come up to temp than the coolant, and if the oil isnt hot its not as thin and doesnt get up into and lubricate the turbo as well (what im lead to believe )

i just drive normally, maybe even a little slower in my boosted car than my non boosted car, but once or twice each time i drive it ill hit full boost for a gear or 2. unless im at the track or trying to **** off some v8's