Notices

downpipe question with pics

Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downpipe question with pics

I have a 3inch downpipe with a cutout. see pics below. So far i broke 2 V band clamps and destroyed my Mccord powerplate which in turn caused me to crack a sleeve due to running open downpipe and i hit over 16psi on 440's

My question is my Downpipe hangs hella low was made for a GSR but i have a b16. I want to take it to a local muffler shop to have them cut off some of the cutout and angle it up some. Do you think that is a bad idea having the exhaust exit up under the car? it would pretty much only be used at the track open downpipe with the cutout open. See the pics.

Here you can see it hangs so low there is at least 4 inches from the top of the exhaust to the car.

There is just not alot of room to work with to cut the end off and add a part of pipe and have it point up some.

So do you think it would hurt/melt anything there angled up some. I still have the heatshield thing bolted were the stock exhaust/cat would go.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: downpipe question with pics (TacomanSI)

holy crap man, same thing happend to me. i had some serious creeping/spike issues with my first motor and the ecut and i overboosted and maxxed my 450s and cracked a sleeve.

you will be ok with the cutout dumping right out under the car. mine is right underneath my right foot, pretty much blows on my swaybar.

personal experience: if you dont have a cat, a muffler shop might not legally work on it, due to laws or some crap. i got turned down by a few places for not having a cat when i wanted to redo my downpipe. good luck
Old 07-24-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: downpipe question with pics (blackeg)

my downpipe is off the car currently and i was just going to walk it in there as is and tell them to point that **** up. I just want to be sure i don't burn a hole through the floor.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:16 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: downpipe question with pics (moops vs moors)

I have a DP too with a cutout and my cutout dumps right underneath the turbo. I know its bad to daily drive it like that....i;ve gotten used to the smell too.

It's been over 2 years. Car still runs like a champ. stock bottom end.head tuned 260whp @ 6.5-7psi. The only thing that keeps breaking is the stupid QTEC cutout. I like your DP better and when I redo mine---I'll take that design-- I've seen some on Tony1's setups too.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 PM
I want a CRX tattoed on my butt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: downpipe question with pics (NightRider-gsR)

I dump it in mother natures mouth 24/7 expletive an e-cut
Old 07-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: downpipe question with pics (PINKS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

tony1 as always!

i like how yours is designed, but it just sits too low. i think it's because of how it goes to the catback piping. there's not enough flex. make a bracket to left the dp up or refab it. i'm sure hulkhb from crpturbo can help you with it. hit him up. i was talkin to him about doing an ecutout setup too, we were just gonna redo my currect downpipe.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:09 AM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: downpipe question with pics (undercoverdc2)

I wonder if there would be any clearance issues.

My DP is 3 to cutout then T's off 2.5 into stock ITR exhaust piping. I still scrape the **** out of my setup where the flex pipe is. Im only tucking 16s and the fenders are almost near the rim itself.

It's not even that slammed.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NightRider-gsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder if there would be any clearance issues.

My DP is 3 to cutout then T's off 2.5 into stock ITR exhaust piping. I still scrape the **** out of my setup where the flex pipe is. Im only tucking 16s and the fenders are almost near the rim itself.

It's not even that slammed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the way you describe it, it's WAYYY slammed. fender is near the rim? jeez, my fender is just near the top of the tire. lol
Old 07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: downpipe question with pics (undercoverdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undercoverdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the way you describe it, it's WAYYY slammed. fender is near the rim? jeez, my fender is just near the top of the tire. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

So basically, your setup is lowered to a point where theres no wheel gap right?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NightRider-gsR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So basically, your setup is lowered to a point where theres no wheel gap right?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, if your fender is at your RIM, raise it up dude. I know it looks good that low, but I wouldn't dare drive around like that... what's your suspension setup? You're probably riding just over you bumpstops and hurting your shocks.

My fender is at the top of my wheel, IE no wheelgap but you can see all the tire.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:44 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Default Re: downpipe question with pics (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, if your fender is at your RIM, raise it up dude. I know it looks good that low, but I wouldn't dare drive around like that... what's your suspension setup? You're probably riding just over you bumpstops and hurting your shocks.

My fender is at the top of my wheel, IE no wheelgap but you can see all the tire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No my fender isnt at my rim...

from the lip of the LE37s to the fender, theres about 2-2.5cm in between.
My suspension setup:

Tein HA full coilover suspension (the ones with helper springs)
- 8 clicks up front, 6 in the back - I forgot the spring rates.
22mm rear USDM ITR sway bar using BSQ kit.
ITR rear LCAs
Stock GSR front strut tower bar
ITR rear upper strut bar
Skunk2 front camber kit
Washer trick in the back for camber
Urethane bushings
16" Volk LE37-T wrapped in Yokohama AVS 100 (205/45/16)

I've had this setup for almost three years. It's still good. No blown shocks or anything. Still very very solid and firm. Has seen several canyon runs....

For me, riding slammed is the way to go--daily driven and I've pretty much mastered my way on the roads when it comes to dips, speed bumps, construction ****, driveways, etc.

PS: sorry for being a little OT.