Notices

do's and don'ts of nitrous. Progressive controlled

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do's and don'ts of nitrous. Progressive controlled

So I basically want to make a way around tuning. I don't like the price, hassle, and many things. I also don't need a fast car driving to work, I only need it to be fast for a few seconds when some D bag in a mustang with rotten exhaust wants his *** handed... I have nitrous experience on carburated bike motors.. I want to do a CF kit, progressive controlled, Wideband AF supervised, kept cozy via pressure operated heat pad. So what is a safe shot on a 90k mi Tegra GS?? If I run a progressive, lets say x second spool up, could I dump a 100hp shot? How long will a 10lb bottle last with a hundred shot? besides this I have IHE, will be running a ligther flywheel and stg2 clutch. Please give me any big reasons not to spray, or just influence me even more? I want to smoke the local hatch stock b16 kids as well...lol Thanks for any help, Kyle
Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do's and don'ts of nitrous. Progressive controlled

Okay, what's a CF kit? Do you mean a carbon fiber bottle?

Progressive control is not necessary for a 100 shot on a ls to have traction. Zero camber and decent tires are necessary.

90k miles is irrelevant. Compression and oil pressure will tell you the condition of the engine. If the engine is healthy a 100shot shouldn't be a problem.

Tuning is necessary. You say you'll have a wideband, you're almost there. The most important part of spraying is timing in the lower rpms. Bottle pressure is constant. So flow of no2 is fairly constant. Flow of air through the engine changes with rpm/ve. At lower rpms when the engine is moving less air, you will get the same amount of juice as you will in the upper revs. As you rev higher you don't need as much timing retard as you would when you first hit the button.

There is a rule of retard two degrees for every 50hp sprayed. This applies after torque peak. Before you'll need to pull more timing. Or not spray at a low rpm.

Also a wb doesn't tell the whole truth. It averages the truth. Pulling and reading spark plugs will be necessary.

If you want to avoid tuning don't spray.

Last edited by Foowee; 07-19-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Foowee
If you want to avoid BLOWING UP your motor b/c you dont want to deal with getting a proper tune don't spray.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Cold fusion nitrous is CF, surprising you wouldn't know that. CF is a very high quality brand, great setups with not a huge price... The progressive controller is how you mainly avoid the tuning on nitrous... It is also how you avoid breaking things, I am not worried the slightest bit about traction, I probably will be first gear starts and start the spray in 2nd... Surprised you didn't know that.. Do you know what progressive means???lol It means you have less nitrous flowing and it works into lets say the full 100shot. So I can start out at 10hp of nitrous and ramp it up to 100hp over lets say 4 seconds... It acts the same as a turbo spooling. In my case, WHERE I DON"T REALLY WANT TO DEAL WITH TUNING, a progressive controller should keep me safe on a 100 shot. Monitoring it on the AF, from my experience I should be fine.
-----Now can someone actually read my OP,(I just want to know how much I can safely spray progressively on a barely broke in GS bottom end, and how much button time I get out of a 10lb bottle with ~100hp shot) any help would be appreciated=] Kyle
Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM

I actually just talked to someone and they told me I would still probably want to retard the ignition by about 1 degree for every 50hp I'm spraying. How can this be done without giving a couple hundred to someone for a "tune"? Also, would the stock fuel pump be able to supplement ~100hp shot of n2o?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to read through all the pages of the official nitrous thread. The only way to do nitrous is to be good at it and usually that requires a lot of exp [read:] blowing things up!

Also learn how to read plugs. Thats the only way for nitrous to be correct (a real tuner would rely heavily on this too for high hp cars)
Old 07-20-2009, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fasst
I actually just talked to someone and they told me I would still probably want to retard the ignition by about 1 degree for every 50hp I'm spraying. How can this be done without giving a couple hundred to someone for a "tune"? Also, would the stock fuel pump be able to supplement ~100hp shot of n2o?
three bolts n a flashy thingy:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/timing/timing.php
I'm surprised you didn't know that.

GL kid... but I think you'll break stuff before you get though your first bottle.

Last edited by Foowee; 07-20-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM

well thanks for your help! I doubt I will break anything, my plan is not to actually run 100hp.. I will be doing anything progressively though. I am asking all these questions so i don't break things!lol It will be a couple of months before i do anything anyway, best to research until then. I am trying to get info out of the tons of ppl that could probably tell me everything I need to know in 5 minutes.... I know engine mechanics quite well, but my experience is on single cylinders. Like I have said in most my posts so far, I know nothing about these ignitons and EFI. Only way i will learn is from ppl like yourself.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fasst
Ok I'm sorry I know this is an old thread but WTF if you do not know how to retard/advance timing then YOU DO NOT NEED NITROUS!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by norcal69
Ok I'm sorry I know this is an old thread but WTF if you do not know how to retard/advance timing then YOU DO NOT NEED NITROUS!
Think he's probably figured that out. Four years ago...
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by norcal69
Ok, I know you are ignorant, but WTF if you can't leave old pointless threads alone then THE INTERNET DOESN'T NEED YOU!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with a 50 and work your way up... Redline a gear and check the plugs after... Nitrous cant top a turbo anyway and is illegal
Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
Start with a 50 and work your way up... Redline a gear and check the plugs after... Nitrous cant top a turbo anyway and is illegal
This has to be some of the WORST advice I have seen on here lately. Somebody needs to lock this garbage thread already.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Ok, I know you are ignorant, but WTF ... leave old pointless threads alone
Exactly. This **** pisses me off...