Notices

does a trbo help on gas?

Old 04-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a turbo help on gas?

im thinking about getting a greddy turbo kit that comes with the emanage which i think it is set to run at 6 or 7 psi
i have a sohc motor
but at that low psi what will it do to my mpg
i have heard that turbos help
but i would assume that your mpg would totally go yout the window because its adding alot more power to a motor

what will it really do
and what kinda hp am i looking at with a greddy turbo kit like that with my sohc motor with mabie a mini me swap
btw i have a 97 civic cx
Old 04-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (Civic97s)

Does your motor make more power when you're not boosting it? No, so it isn't going to mess your mileage if you're not making boost.

And if you're really so concerned with gas mileage, why are you going to spend 1000+ dollars on a turbo kit? That's a lot of gallons of gas.....
Old 04-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (tokes1320)

im looking for more hp
but on the news today it stated that 6months from now gas will be $6 a gallon so it makes me want to conserve
but the main reason is that i dont want to be all show and no go type of deal
i was just wondering if it might help on gas mileage
Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (Civic97s)

a turbo is a restriction on the exhaust flow and provides more power (more fuel) at the same time. You will no matter what lose a slight bit of gas mileage and if you stomp on it a lot of course it will get worse haha. If you get it tuned instead of the basic greddy e-manage then part throttle cruising can actually be better tehn stock, but you'll fail emission because runing leaner increases NOx emissions. It requires a lot of tuning time though. I drove from Chicago to Missouri once doing 41mpg cruising at very lean conditions (safe if you are not putting a load on the engine, so cruising).

Simple terms: You'll be fine the real loss in gas mileage will come when you step on it.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (adseguy)

uhh no, you actually will gain mpg if you drive like an old person because the turbine causes the incoming air to swirl when it entiers the cylinder and you get a more efficient burn, ever wonder why the vtec-e system opens only one valve in fuel economy mode? its to make the air swirl in the cylinder. I personally gained 4 mpg when i installed my turbo kit after i realized stomping on it all the time ate gas like no other. I think bauley or ricey have a greddy kit and had gains as well after the turbo was installed.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (Soccerking3000)

Strange. I'm taking this from the books Maximum boost <U> AND</U> Tuning and modifing engine management systems. It's all about VE right? A turbo increases VE when boosting, but out of boost the turbine creates a restriction and so there goes the gas mileage. Let's share some ideas.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Strange. I'm taking this from the books Maximum boost <U> AND</U> Tuning and modifing engine management systems. It's all about VE right? A turbo increases VE when boosting, but out of boost the turbine creates a restriction and so there goes the gas mileage. Let's share some ideas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not that simple, a turbo isnt a clogged cat, inlet pressure and outlet pressure will tell you how big of a restriction it is when your boosting but at cruise conditions these two pressures differences are not far off from each other.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (MidShipCivic)

Well I just got 350 miles on a tank in my boosted EM1 in mixed driving..best i got when stock was 320, my tuner spent a lot of time on part throttle stuff though
Old 04-30-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: does a trbo help on gas? (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhh no, you actually will gain mpg if you drive like an old person because the turbine causes the incoming air to swirl when it entiers the cylinder and you get a more efficient burn, ever wonder why the vtec-e system opens only one valve in fuel economy mode? its to make the air swirl in the cylinder. I personally gained 4 mpg when i installed my turbo kit after i realized stomping on it all the time ate gas like no other. I think bauley or ricey have a greddy kit and had gains as well after the turbo was installed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

AFAIK chamber turbulance is not significantly increased by adding a turbo.