Notices

Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1???

I've got the P28/Hondata setup from my Civic that I will now be tranfering to my Integra as soon as I install the turbo setup, my question however is, does anybody esle use a P28 with a stock C1? I ask because I was wondering what happens to the operation of the secondary runners with the P28 (to the best of my knowledge, the P28 neither has the secondary runner operation, nor can it be programmed in it..)?

Does anybody see any forseeable problems with the P28 in the GSR (aside from the runners)? Thanks..
Old 06-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1??? (VTC_CiViC)

no forseeable issues that I can see, you cna get an MSD RPM activated switch and that switch can operate your secondary runner with the P28.

P28 does not have any knock sensor, nad that's pretty much what you're losing

stan
Old 06-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1??? (Flamenco-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no forseeable issues that I can see, you cna get an MSD RPM activated switch and that switch can operate your secondary runner with the P28.

P28 does not have any knock sensor, nad that's pretty much what you're losing

stan
</TD></TR></TABLE>

stan...how do you do that??
Old 06-24-2003, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1??? (B18Flip)

the MSD activated switch ? basically it's a box that you can insert different RPM pills in and at the specific RPM pill that you inserted to the box, it will activate/turn the ON switch to do whatever you want it to do, wether it's VTEC switch, Secondary Runner (IAB) switch, anything

stan
Old 06-24-2003, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahh yes, thanks man I completley forgot about the knock sensor as well.

Anyways, would you reccomend the switch for the IAB, or is it really worth the time? Suppose I just run with the runner open all the time.. yes I lose low end but considering it's boosted now, doesn't really make a sizeable difference wouldn't you guys think?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1??? (VTC_CiViC)

I'd leave the runner open, you'll gain a lot more top end than what you lose on low end. If that's the case, take out your IM and take out the butterfly inside instead of buying the RPM activated switch

stan
Old 06-24-2003, 08:14 AM

Dave, I was running the P28 w/ my Hondata setup. The only thing that should really matter is the no knock sensor. Forget about the secondary runner, you're better off having it open the whole time. I didn't have a secondary runner on mine b/c of my intake manifold. But thats the last thing you should worry about. Just do it.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1??? (turbogsr)

Losing the Honda knock sensor is like losing a packet of Pez. You may really really like Pez, but so ******* what?

P28 will control IABs. Trace pin A17 and take a wild guess what components to add. 1720 and 01F0 motherboards are more like 1980 motherboards than most people know.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Does anybody here run a P28 on a B18C1??? (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Losing the Honda knock sensor is like losing a packet of Pez. You may really really like Pez, but so ******* what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL... so true...

I learned recently that the ECU (PR3) doesn't even look at the knock sensor above 5k rpm, which is when you really need it most I would assume most of the other Honda engines would have a similar rev threshold for knock activity, where the engine vibration + noise would be too likely to cause conniptions in the stock knock sensor so the ECU is programmed to ignore it.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd leave the runner open, you'll gain a lot more top end than what you lose on low end. If that's the case, take out your IM and take out the butterfly inside instead of buying the RPM activated switch

stan
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ran with one of the RPM activated switches with my b16a head to control vtec.
I had no problems worked well. I went to a p28 on a semi built b18b1 (rods & pistons) with a b16a head now after we yanked out the RPM activated switch and all wired up now...Still runs fine.

I have a RPM activated switch if anyone needs it. it's used...an autometer one, works perfect, for sale.