Notices

Do I need to RETUNE??!?! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to RETUNE??!?! HELP!

I got a new tune about 3 months ago by a local shop...The shop did a great job and my car has been running perfect.

I recently bought a new 38mm tial wastegate to replace my old one (ebay knockoff also 38mm) an AEM fuel rail and i also rebult by turbo.

I installed the new parts on my car, the car seems to be running fine, only thing i did when i installed the new parts is brought nthe Fuel pressure back up to where it was when the guy had tuned me. I also have an AEM wideband. The wideband does not read lean it seems to be about where it should.

I called the shop back up to have some suggestions to see if this was ok to drive with the new parts and they told me that i could run lean because the new wastegate could opening faster, also wiht the rebuilt turbo it could be spooling faster, even though it is staying at the same boost level he tuned me at. He suggests i bring it back for a retune..

My question is, is do i really need to do this if my wideband says im not running lean??

Is he jsut trying to make money off me??? HELP!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Do I need to RETUNE??!?! HELP!

if the wastegate is set to the same boost pressure as the one you replaced then i would say no you dont need a retune. i doubt it opens/closes any faster than the knock off gate.

a fuel rail wont cause you to run richer or leaner. its just more for bling under the hood.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know huh
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
if the wastegate is set to the same boost pressure as the one you replaced then i would say no you dont need a retune. i doubt it opens/closes any faster than the knock off gate.

a fuel rail wont cause you to run richer or leaner. its just more for bling under the hood.
Ok, yah thats what i thought, and with me turning the fuel pressure back to where it was when he tuned it after i installed the new rail i dont see why it would have a problem...

The only other thing is my turbo, I replaced the bearings and seals on it becouse the seals were bad so i did both. Would this spool THAT much faster to where it would run lean?? also wouldnt i see this in the wideband if i was running lean?!

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when it was tuned your turbo seals and bearing were good right? so what would be the diffrence now that it has new seals and bearings......no diffrence. even if the spool time was diffrent it would be so small that a complete re-tune would be a waste of time.

for peace of mind you can take the car back to the dyno just for a couple of pulls just to datalog but im sure it will be the same.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
when it was tuned your turbo seals and bearing were good right? so what would be the diffrence now that it has new seals and bearings......no diffrence. even if the spool time was diffrent it would be so small that a complete re-tune would be a waste of time.

for peace of mind you can take the car back to the dyno just for a couple of pulls just to datalog but im sure it will be the same.
Ok cool man thanks, the car was street tuned, and honistly i just think the guy is trying to make some money telling me i should retune and what not. I spoke to another guy who tuned and he said basically the same thing as you said.