Notices

do i have a defective crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i have a defective crank pulley?

im sorry for the double post but the eg forum is no help.....

when i take the crank pulley off i line the cams up at TDC and i look at the bottom sprocket that is behind the crank pully and that mark on it is lined up perfectly with the notch on the oil pump. from what i have learned that pretty much means that my timing is dead on as far as the timing belt is concerned.
well i put the crank pulley back on with the KEYWAY (nothing is damaged the crank pulley slides on perfectly and the little keyway is in perfect condition) and the little white mark on teh crank pully that is supposed to line up with the mark on the lowr timing cover is off it is phsically foward towards the radiator like 1/4 of an inch.

it doesnt make sense why the sprocket is lined up perfectly with the cams at TDC but the crank pulley is not. since i have disocvered this it has made trying to use a timing light a pain becasue noe i cant go by the little 3 red marks on teh pulley since it is going to be of now..

anyone kow what im talking about?

Old 03-29-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: do i have a defective crank pulley? (nextelbuddy)

Somethings messed up with your timing.

What you should do is pull the timing belt and set the bottom end at TDC, and set the cams at TDC. Put the timing belt back on and it'll be all good, I'd bet my car that you dont have an "incorrectly" marked crank pulley.

You were hooking the timing light to #1(cam gear side), not #4(dizzy side) right?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: do i have a defective crank pulley? (TeamCracka)

on 2 of my engines, I notice that too. I'm going look at my 3rd engine tonight. I remenber one time, I made a notch on the pulley to match the pointer on the timing cover.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i have a defective crank pulley? (TeamCracka)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamCracka &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Somethings messed up with your timing.

What you should do is pull the timing belt and set the bottom end at TDC, and set the cams at TDC. Put the timing belt back on and it'll be all good, I'd bet my car that you dont have an "incorrectly" marked crank pulley.

You were hooking the timing light to #1(cam gear side), not #4(dizzy side) right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude i took the crank pulley off and with the pulley off i set the cams at TDC with both arrows pointing upward kinda to the left also with the little marks on the facing each other and when i had that set i set the mark on the bottom sprocket with the mark on the oil pump for TDC. so once i had everything lined up i slid the crank pulley on and didnt moce or touch a thing. i looked at the white TDC mark and it does not line up with the mark on the lower tming cover like it i ssupposed to but if i take off the pulley the sprocket is lined up just luiek it is supposed to while the cams are at TDC.

see what i mean, my timing is set perfect since im going by the actual sprocket and oil pump markings its like my crank pulley is improperly marked from the factory.

if my timing was off on te timing belt side by a tooth either way then i would know by either the motor having a erratic idle OR the motor bogging down .. the motor does neither so thats why i am confused.

do i set timing on the timing belt bt the TDC mark on the timing belt sprocket and the oil pump mark? or do i set timing with the white TDC mark on the crank pulley and the mark on the lower timing cover?

and yes timing light was conncted to cylinder #1 by the cams not # 4 by the dizzy
Old 03-29-2004, 01:21 PM

To me, the mark on the cam gears and the crank sprocket line up with the oil pump is good enough for me.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i have a defective crank pulley? (porsche997)

yea when my cams are at TDC the mark on my crank sprocket lines up with the mark on the oil pump fine..

its the crank pulley that is not lining up i am wondering when i have the cams at TDC what do i set the crank at TDC by? the crank sprocket and oil pump mark or the crank pulley mark on the timing cover?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:44 PM

I got the cam gear and crank sprocket line up right. I put the crank pulley on and notch the crank pulley line up with the mark on timing belt cover. I use the new marking on the crank pulley to check the timing.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: do i have a defective crank pulley? (porsche997)

bump... any more answers?