Notices

Dizzy coil keeps frying

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dizzy coil keeps frying

First yesterday i was doing my usual monthly compression test on my motor and all of a sudden my damn coil fried and the car wouldn't start. No spark . So today i picked up a coil from a friend that should be in good shape. I put it in and everything was good. I was doing a pull down the highway when my car just shut off. I pulled over and again no spark. Pulled the coil and it was fried again. I replaced it with a friends real quick and drove my car home.

Why the heck did my coil fry a second time? My dizzy has no exposed or ghetto wires. I'm assuming i should have unplugged the ignition while doing the comp test, but why did it fry again while i was driving? Is it coincidence that the 2nd coil i got just sucked?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always unplug the ecu before doing a compression test. that way there is no fuel or spark. it's possible that it was just a coincidence that the 2nd one fried. do you have any msd ignition components? if so, you might want to upgrade the stock coil.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (building boost)

yea hopefully just a coincidence. I dont have any msd either. I dont touch that stuff because i've seen nothing but problems
Old 12-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any loose connections inside the distributor to the ignitor? Sometimes the connectors need tightened up a bit (i.e. squeeze the female end down with some pliers and push them back on). Odds are you need an ignitor. If there is a distribtor problem, 99% of the time its the crappy ignitor
Old 12-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (servion)

hmm maybe i'll have to look into getting an ignitor while i'm at it
Old 12-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An awesome bet is to replace the whole dizzy, thats what we did once the problems kept persisting, after replacing all the guts.

Problem was sloved without any more heartache or pocket ache.

(I think I have an ignitor in the top of my tool box if you need one)</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanx for the offer . If i cant find one around here i'll let you know for sure. Hopefully it was just a coincidence that my last coil burnt up because i dont have the $$ for a whole new dizzy with all this xmas stuff lol.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dizzy coil keeps frying (SOHC_MShue)

Instead of unplugging ecu or anything else, simple to pull the fuse under the hood...labled FI.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me know, I have plenty of stuff. I may be able to make you a dizzy lol

I use gutted ones with my setup and no more daily D-series so I can get rid of all my stuff!</TD></TR></TABLE>
well i just got a new ignitor and coil today. Hopefully everything will be fine now

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExVtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Instead of unplugging ecu or anything else, simple to pull the fuse under the hood...labled FI.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
the FI fuse was pulled lol
Old 12-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

well i got another ignitor from a friend and got a brand new coil. Everything still isn't fine . First i put them in and everything is fine. I go to drive home and my tach starts going crazy and the car stumbles and then shuts off. I got the car towed back to my house. By that time my weak battery had already died as well. So i took the coil out when i got home. Everything looked fine. It wasn't fried and i jiggled the ignitor wires around a little and they looked fine. I put everything back together. So then i was like well maybe it was the battery. I replaced the battery and the car started right up and ran fine. I went to drive back downtown to my house and again the car left me stuck in the same fashion as earlier today . This time i knew it wasn't the battery. Voltage was over 12.0 with the car off, and the car would crank, but not startup. I took the dizzy apart one last time, jiggled some stuff, and put it back together. It then started right back up. WTF is going on!! Sounds like a loose connection in there, but everything looks good.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As rota and I learned years ago. At the first sign of Dizzy problems. Replace the whole unit.

Yea I know its expensive. But look at what you have spent and it's still giving you problems.

You have to realize these cars are getting old, parts wear out. Bit the bullit and replace the dizzy with a rebuilt one. It should come with a warranty.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992Si)

Yea thats always been my theory in this situation as well, but unfortunately i'm poor right now and decided to test out just buying cheaper individual parts lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

well now i'm hearing that the ignitor i just got could be bad and dies on me everytime it gets warmed up. Which seems about right...it was dying on me pretty much 8-10minutes after starting my car. You guys think i should just buy a brand new one? I can get it for about $50
Old 12-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm telling you we have been there. One month, the ignitor goes, have the car towed and fixed. Machanic say's well try and save you some money. Few months later, the coil goes and takes the new ignitor with it. This time the car was towed just after the body kit and new paint. Towing cracked the front bumper, I had to pay to have that fixed.

Machanic say's we should have replaced the dizzy last time. He did the job and didn't charge us much.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992Si)

yea i'm really leaning towards getting a new dizzy at this point. My only worry is with trying to fix my current one and being stranded in the middle of the road again. That **** is embarassing