Notices

DIY turbo setups?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY turbo setups?

Has anyone here made their own turbo setup or know anyone who has? I know a couple couple of people who have that have run good times and driven 'em daily. They all built their kits from eiter pieces they got from junk yards or from the recycler... Plus they all say they've built their systems for less than $500!

I was just wondering cus I'm thinking about going turbo and doing something myself (with the help of my friends, who've done this before) but I want to get all the info I can before I do.

I don't have a couple grand to spend and I already have an intercooler off a Starion. Do you guys think I should try this with my friends? Or should I just a ready made turbo kit.

I don't want the Greddy kits because I want a t3/t4 turbo and I don't think the greddy comes with that.

Give me some of your opinions on this. It's for a 98 single cam coupe.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (50percentRice)

Anybody telling you they did it for less than $500 is not running an IC or BOV (or are using junky ones) and their car is blowing oil smoke all the way around town because of their 25 dollar turbo with no seals...

[Modified by mplex2000, 4:35 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 07:37 PM

systems for less than $500!
im not flaming you but its going to by pretty hard to get it up and
running under 500..

fuel wise:
you need a fuel pump(inline) and
12:1 fmu at the least (assuming stock injectors)

IC u have,

turbo,
BOV
piping,
oil lines..
manifold
hey man if u do it under 500 all the power to you..

good luck
Old 02-20-2002, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

less then $500 is impossible. I built my own and I can tell you that the material to make the piping and manifold alone is about $200. Then there's a $100 turbo from the junkyard. then you still need lines, fitting, IC, BOV, FMU, fuel pump, wastegate, blah blah. It's about $1200 for a NICE homemade turbo kit that actually works.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (TurboInteg95)

Yeah thats why I'm asking you guys this question. I don't want to start into this project estimating around a $500 budjet only to find they're trying to act like they built something for nothing and me ending up spendin mucj more than I expected.

Are there any good links that show everything I would need and so on?

Thanks guys
Old 02-20-2002, 07:53 PM
New User

diy setups are great if u have the cash to spend for 'quality' parts.

Otherwise, if you take the ghetto route in assembling your kit, especially with a 500 budget, it's going to be a headache from day one.

You may run into problems and have unexpected down time. Time to ride your bike again hehe. or spend extra money to have parts fabricated to fit.

My suggestion is to learn all you can about different turbo setups and its componentry. Get a feel for how much work you'll be in for and read all of the posts on this board! Learn from other peoples mistakes.

Old 02-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check mine, under projects/turbo parts. Since I'm basically done now I need to update some things ... some parts didnt work out, etc but you'll get the idea. And I spent alot more than 1200 ouch
Old 02-20-2002, 08:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (mplex2000)

Mplex2000...do you have any pics of your engine bay? I didn't see any on your site.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm doing custom... but it's not cheap. but it's actually CHEAPER than buying a kit and eventually replacing everything. this is the 'do it right the first time' kit for me (put together by me of course). go look in https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=132870 at my first post for my specs of my setup. got about 33% of the stuff in. beginning of may = boost
Old 02-20-2002, 08:29 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (cyan1de)

CYAN1de. Thanks that link helped a good bit, except for all the Big on name brand people who just called it a Ghetto Kit, Lame asses.

Anyways, another question... Can I use my AEM CIA tubing for anything with this kit? I'm not using a front mount intercooler and this piping goes right where I'm planning n puttin the intercooler. Is this a stupid question?

Mind you this is my first venture into turbo charging and when I do do this project I will have people helping me who have already done this. I'm just trying to get some outside info and opinions

Thanks again...
Old 02-20-2002, 08:35 PM

Man, some people are very ignorant...
http://www.homemadeturbo.com

Using DSM turbos and HF/STD manifolds for custom D-series setups.. B-series engines however do cost alot to make kits for.. their is just no way around the expensive manifold.. And good managment is a must with a 10.1 motor. You can get away with 5-6psi intercooled on a stock D-series motor without any managment. I always recommend a FMU and or a BTM controller, but I have done many custom turbo setups that have been very sucsessful. But I do admit, in my past I blew up alot of motors, just playing with boost to see how much the stock honda (D-series) engine can really handle.

I can easily make kits under 500 bucks... The cheapest I have ever made a kit for was roughly 200 bucks. But you need to know how to weld and have some decent knowledge on how a turbocharger works.

I have dyno'd a few of my setups, creating 58hp over stock with 7 psi. Which isnt to bad at all.

But if you think my "junky/Oil leaking" turbo setups for less then 500 bucks is impossible... go buy yourself a overpriced drag/greddy kit.. hah

Happy Boosting
Jeff Frank

[Modified by AbaZ, 5:38 AM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (AbaZ)

Sorry I gotta call Bullshitt on this. Try and get a complete kit for under $500--its not possible, unless your some homo fast and furious punk stickin people up. If you spend that much--more power to you. Just start saving for a new block cause for being a cheap *** crackhead and trying to save a buck or two. I would rather spend $1500+ (minimum) and not have to worry about buying a new block/short block/long block a week later from being a bitch and trying to pay for a turbo kit with food stamps!
Old 02-21-2002, 10:39 AM

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (93LSivic)

Sorry I gotta call Bullshitt on this. Try and get a complete kit for under $500--its not possible, unless your some homo fast and furious punk stickin people up. If you spend that much--more power to you. Just start saving for a new block cause for being a cheap *** crackhead and trying to save a buck or two. I would rather spend $1500+ (minimum) and not have to worry about buying a new block/short block/long block a week later from being a bitch and trying to pay for a turbo kit with food stamps!
Ok, its entire bullshit.. I really dont know what I am doing, I dont know how to make turbo kits for less then 500 bucks its impossible, and blowing my motors every week really sucks, because I hate getting food stamps for food. But when I pulled a 13.3 with my stock zc @ 6psi and only spending 400 bucks it made me really gave me a warm feeling inside. Not to mention the large crowds of people I have hovering around my car each week at the our local drag strip. People are just amazed what I can do, I get over 30 emails daily praising my site and telling me how cool my site is and thanks for all the help blah blah.. I get it all.. I think you are the first person who is non-beliver in a homemade turbo setup. If you can spend the time doing research, finding great deals and know how to do some manual labor you can easily make turbo kits, its not rocket science. Dont be mad because after you watched Fast and Furious you had to go out and buy a expensive drag kit and just found out you can do it for less

I made http://www.homemadeturbo.com to help people do what I did, make cheap turbokits. It is a Non-Profit site to help others...

OMG, Manifold/Plate/Turbo for only 70 bucks? how is that even possible?!!?!?!?

OMG, A front mount intercooler for only 30 bucks? No Way you must have stole it from someone!?

OMG, is that a Turbo-Mini Me? Is that even possible with a 10.8 c/r? your crazy

Jeff Frank

[Modified by AbaZ, 7:41 PM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE]
OMG, is that a Turbo-Mini Me? Is that even possible with a 10.8 c/r? your crazy
[QUOTE]

heh heh heh, props, I have no idea how you got an i/c for 30 bux and a manifold for 70.... (pray it don't crack) That sounds like crackhouse deals !

More power to you...

I built my full custom system for a bit over 2 grand.... and it's not a basic setup.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:59 AM

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (X2BOARD)

heh heh heh, props, I have no idea how you got an i/c for 30 bux and a manifold for 70.... (pray it don't crack) That sounds like crackhouse deals !

More power to you...

I built my full custom system for a bit over 2 grand.... and it's not a basic setup.
The STD manifold is some pretty thick cast. I have made a support from the block to the turbo so it's not so hard on the manifold.

The Starion/Conquest Cooler was bought at a local pull-a-part/pick-a-part style junkyards.. basically you pay them a 1$ to browse their yard, and you take off the parts you need. Everything is cheap their, Turbos are 19.95, if its bad, take it back and get another one, By checking end play in the yard you can pick and choose what turbos you want. Bov's 5 bucks, Manifolds 10 bucks, I use all kinds off IC charge pipes from lots of misc cars.

2000 bucks on a setup? Well I think my built ZC will be pretty damn near their.. once I am all done.. I bought the typical drag manifold, which I really dont care for and am going to design a equal length tubular turbo manifold for it.

Jeff

[Modified by AbaZ, 8:01 PM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 11:18 AM

resourses are KEY to getting a setup for under 500..!!!
but as i said it can be done.!!

im not going to say how much ive spent, cuz i might have another
call bullshit..!!

happy boosting.!
Old 02-21-2002, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2000 bucks on a setup? Well I think my built ZC will be pretty damn near their.. once I am all done.. I bought the typical drag manifold, which I really dont care for and am going to design a equal length tubular turbo manifold for it.
Whenever you're ready to run it.....
The last import exhaust that I was forced to smell was a built B16 hatch.

As far as manifolds... just bend over and get an SFP, it's great quality AND design, you can't get one made for cheeper....(same quality).
Old 02-21-2002, 03:26 PM
Trial User

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (X2BOARD)

Well I just wanted to thank you guys for the info and opinions, and also to the people telling me to just buy a ready made kit....the purpose of me doing this setup up is to gain knowledge of how everything works and what it takes to make them work properly. I'm not really into spending thousands of $$$ on something I know nothing about.

Plus it's more fun to do stuff yourself, more of a challenge. An more rewarding when its complete.

As for getting ready for when my block blows...The people that I'm going to be doing this have already made their own turbo setup and ...well I guess the know what they're doing cus their cars still run fine after years of driving.

But again, thanks for all the info and opinions cus I DO still want to know what everyone thinks about this.

ABAZ...love the site.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Funny.... a big buck turbo kit will blow a motor just as easily as a custom kit... if you don't know what you are doing...

heheheheh What do you think a Drag III on a stock motor is gonna do ? KABOOM !

If you or your friends know what you're doing... go thru... I just wouldn't recommend doing your first turbo kit buy yourself, or with inexperienced people, cuz a "$500" kit could turn into a $3000+ headache....

Good Luck dude...
Old 02-21-2002, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Abaz, you are very lucky to have a junkyard that sells turbos for $20. Out here in San diego a turbo that you remove from the car yourself is about $100. And finding a starion Intercooler at the junkyard is next to impossible, I believe the junkyard owners and employees are taking them off before the cars even hit the lots. I was just looking at your webpage, your $500 turbo kit doesnt include any type of fuel system upgrade. no fmu, no fuel pump. Also, what oil lines were you using that were $15? And what material is your charge piping made out of for $10? It's good that you are making this stuff yourself and being creative but I dont think suggesting $500 turbo kits with no fuel system upgrades to people is a very good idea.

[Modified by TurboInteg95, 7:40 PM 2/21/2002]
Old 02-21-2002, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is around a $1200 setup.

T3 60 trim turbo $100
Isuzu delivery truck intercooler cut in half and modified $100
FMU $100
Fuel Pump $80
BOV $60 used
oil feed and fittings $35
material for charge piping $100
material for downpipe and filter pipe $50
material for manifold $50
Tial wastegate $200
miscellanous stuff that comes up $100
gauges $75
filter $25
hmm, okay well maybe I lied....... so around $1000. I'm probably forgetting something though.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes...they're under projects/turbo install

This is before I have the IC piping welded.

Abaz, or whatever, I am sorry. I wasn't thinking about T25s. The DSM guys will pay people to come and take them off their cars.

If you got a Starion IC for $30, it was stolen or bought from someone that thought it was an old radiaor. Come on man, who's the ignorant one? I spent almost a year searching for similar parts and never found anything close to the prices you have there. Not everybody can stumble onto steal prices like that.

BTW, WAKE UP! I don't have a "kit" I rolled my own, thanks.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:12 PM

hey TurboInteg95 what kind of time are you runing with that T3 set up you have? mplex2000 what kind of turbo is hidding in there?
Old 02-21-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY turbo setups? (toeknee)

toeknee, dont know about a time. This is not really a race car, I was planning on racing it at one time but I've got a corolla now that I'm going to make into a race car. Plus there are no tracks in San Diego, at least none that you dont have to off-road your car to get to. However, This same setup in a CRX went 12.3 if that's worth anything to you.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:24 PM

thanks for the info TurboInteg95, Do you happen to know what psi that 12.3 was on? BTW, Good luck with your new project.

Quick Reply: DIY turbo setups?