DIY Flex Fuel Sensor/Ethanol Content Anaylzer for ~$20-100 (don't need Zeitronix)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: DIY Flex Fuel Sensor/Ethanol Content Anaylzer for ~$20-100 (don't need Zeitronix)

Project Update

So, it seems like most of the people I've talked to are less interested in a DIY solution than they are a ready-to-go solution for a decent price, so because of that I've decided to make actual circuit boards specifically for this.

At this point though, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post details here regarding the project as I do plan on selling it as a sort of DIY kit, but more DIY in the sense of installing it on your car, not so much programming/preparing the hardware.

Mods can let me know if I'd be allowed. Otherwise, feel free to PM me or reach out to me on Discord (forbidden era#2332).

This is the prototype board I will have in my hands hopefully in the next week or two. The main connection will be a proper automotive connector, although I haven't actually tested them yet, they are on the way. USB port is USB 2 over USB C with WebUSB programming of the fuel translation map because microusb sucks. There are some extra plugs on the prototype that won't be on the final. Also making a controller for Pierburg waterpumps, and possibly either a bldc controller or main module interface controller for the Prius electric steering that comes with a BLDC instead of DC motor.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:30 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY Flex Fuel Sensor/Ethanol Content Anaylzer for ~$20-100 (don't need Zeitronix)

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
Project Update

So, it seems like most of the people I've talked to are less interested in a DIY solution than they are a ready-to-go solution for a decent price, so because of that I've decided to make actual circuit boards specifically for this.

At this point though, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post details here regarding the project as I do plan on selling it as a sort of DIY kit, but more DIY in the sense of installing it on your car, not so much programming/preparing the hardware.

Mods can let me know if I'd be allowed. Otherwise, feel free to PM me or reach out to me on Discord (forbidden era#2332).

This is the prototype board I will have in my hands hopefully in the next week or two. The main connection will be a proper automotive connector, although I haven't actually tested them yet, they are on the way. USB port is USB 2 over USB C with WebUSB programming of the fuel translation map because microusb sucks. There are some extra plugs on the prototype that won't be on the final. Also making a controller for Pierburg waterpumps, and possibly either a bldc controller or main module interface controller for the Prius electric steering that comes with a BLDC instead of DC motor.
Any more info on this (flex fuel output controller I mean)? I'm a bit of a lurker that doesn't even own a honda but I figured this is kinda universal. BTW will this have on board 5v ref or not?

I'm building a Locost that looks sorta like a Donkervoort with an SR20DET in it powered by an MS3PRO EVO and I only have 3 digital frequency in ports but I'm using 2 but I need one additional for the second vehicle speed sensor for traction control.

Last edited by csimonson; 10-11-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update on this project? Definitely interested still
Old 02-13-2022, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerThings
Any update on this project? Definitely interested still
Had a few setbacks; this has become more of a cheap-ish commercial thing over a DIY as pretty much everyone interested is more interested in just "installing it" as the DIY part not "wiring up a microcontroller, programming it, etc"

The first test boards will be sent in for manufacturing pretty soon here. If they all pass then a large batch will be made.

Because of that; I don't really want to advertise it here, even though they'll barely be sold at a profit.

Last edited by tech8; 02-13-2022 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Commercial advertising not permitted.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely will hit you up on discord, I'm in the program it myself camp lol was more interested in picking your brain on a few things then attempting it myself haha. I appreciate what you've posted so far, thank you!
Old 02-13-2022, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerThings
Definitely will hit you up on discord, I'm in the program it myself camp lol was more interested in picking your brain on a few things then attempting it myself haha. I appreciate what you've posted so far, thank you!
I may still post a simpler version on github as opensaurce. Definitely come hit me up though.

The retail version will have programming/updates through a web browser via webusb and a nice case etc.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 621 Likes on 492 Posts

Neat
Old 05-11-2022, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PM sent!
Old 11-12-2022, 08:01 AM
Trial User

I am also interested in the diy aspect of this! I sent you a request on discord.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:20 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
I'm not sure this forum has a good way to post code; I'll post on GitHub in a bit.

Please wait, code coming soon I just want to double check my temperature output is accurate.

For anyone who wants an early peak:
https://pastebin.com/L6f2kHnj
Your pastebin link doesn't work and I can't seem to find any links to the code elsewhere in this topic thread. I'm interested in the part of the code that reads the sensor for a smart still project that I've had in the back of my mind for quite some time. Can you share that part of the code with me? I'm not interested in any other part of it since I'm not into car stuff outside of my 1969 VW Beetle.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any update on this? Wondering if this dyi is still a thing. Trying to do flex fuel on a demon 2 using honda tuning suite.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I set this up using an Arduino micro and a GM sensor. It outputs a 0-5v input into my Neptune RTP and it works as expected. In the end, I never used it because getting e85 where I live is hard. Now I've converted to a FuelTech.

I probably have it in a box somewhere, if you want it PM me, and I'd sell it for the cost of the Arduino micro which was like $25.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by liam821
I set this up using an Arduino micro and a GM sensor. It outputs a 0-5v input into my Neptune RTP and it works as expected. In the end, I never used it because getting e85 where I live is hard. Now I've converted to a FuelTech.

I probably have it in a box somewhere, if you want it PM me, and I'd sell it for the cost of the Arduino micro which was like $25.

After a few hours of looking into this, I found out SnakeTuning sells one for $100 shipped. It’s called the snake flex plug. Hopefully it works decent and doesn’t cause any issues. Last resort is going Hondata or FuelTech. California is building more gas stations with e85 and I rather not just run straight 91 octane with the build I’m going with. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmpanda__
After a few hours of looking into this, I found out SnakeTuning sells one for $100 shipped. It’s called the snake flex plug. Hopefully it works decent and doesn’t cause any issues. Last resort is going Hondata or FuelTech. California is building more gas stations with e85 and I rather not just run straight 91 octane with the build I’m going with. Thank you!
I had a quick look, wow, for $100 that looks great. Very cool that it has an LED on the device.
The following users liked this post: