Notices

Difficulty of installing crank, pistons and rods in a new block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty of installing crank, pistons and rods in a new block?

This seems like a stupid question but ill ask anyway. I consider myself a fairly apt mechanic, although ive never built an engine ive done almost everything else (on hondas).

So now I have toi rebuild my engine and all I really need to do is install the pistons, crank and rods into the new block. Is this fairly difficult? I need to know so i can calculate paying someone to do it or not into the price of my rebuild.

Could i learn how to do it with the right research? Links?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Difficulty of installing crank, pistons and rods in a new block? (turbotime)

it's not that hard to do the engine assembly itself, but if you've never done one before, it could be advisable to have someone of higher knowledge present as you might need a little help with the order of the process, torque specs/patterns...that type of stuff. it all depends on what you really want to do in the build. are you going aftermarket forged internals or oem parts? the parts you choose will have a big effect on the price and difficulty of the build. you have to make sure all the parts you're putting into the block are balanced and checked for proper specs and clearances. make sure your internal tolerances are correct (i.e. rod and main bearings are critical.) also have the cylinder walls checked and re-honed before assembly, that is, if its not getting new sleeves. how many miles you have on the stock cylinders, and the condition of the cylinder walls will dictate if you need a slight overbore or not, but you wont know till the cylinders are inspected. a qualified machinist/machine shop can do all this work for you correctly. just make sure they specialize in import engines or they have a good customer rep for their work. most machine shop prices arent bad at all for the basic work you need leading up to the engine assembly. as for the actual instructions for assembly, i dont have bionic fingers to type that up, nor would i want to if i did. i'm sure theres some type of instructional material out there for this. just research......KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. if you dissasemble the block yourself you can kind of get a feel for how the re-assembly will go. just take your time, dont skimp on parts, BE ORGANIZED, and triple-check everything and you should be A-OK. i'm sure others on here can elaborate much more than i did, but what i've wrote is just some basic guidelines for what it takes to build correctly.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

torque specs and proper clearances are the most critical factors, and also having the correct parts. once you have that down assembly is the easiest to do. as mechanic the easiest work I've ever done was building a honda engine, I did not do any machine work, I just hone the cylinders. its easy and fun.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any ideas on how much it would cost to have it assembled by a professional? Using forged rods and pistons, oem sleeves and blockguard
Old 01-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

its not very hard but if you dont feel comfortable pm earl he will assemble it for you
Old 01-06-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (D@nnY)

A good shop will charge $500 for assembly. It's easy to do yourself, but it's time consuming. Check out the Jeff Evans write-up. That's what I used the first time.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (EnzoSpeed)

if using a blockguard, have it installed and then go get a hone/overbore.

i was in the same boat a few months ago. i took the block itself to get assembled, and then put the rest of the motor together and swapped it in myself. i do plan on rebuilding another motor early this year, and im gonna give it a try myself (well with the help of the helms)
Old 01-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

use the honda manual on everything for torque specs! Make sure when your assembling things such as the crank and other moving part and non moving part lik bearings, you use a lube on them, like lucas assembly oil.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, lets say yor crank has to be torqued to 80lbs to be held down, do not torque it righ taway to 80lbs, start like at 40, and do something like 5 to 10 lbs increments, as in you assembled all the studs to 40, then add 5 for them all, its a long process but its worth it, and everytime that you torque down the stud that hold the crank, make sure you spin the crank and that it is lubed.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITSME4G63)

subrscribed
Old 01-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

++

good info here guys! Yeah ideally I would want earl to assemble it all cause hes the master and that would provide ultimate peace of mind, but it would cost a pretty $$ just to ship all this stuff out to him...
Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ++

good info here guys! Yeah ideally I would want earl to assemble it all cause hes the master and that would provide ultimate peace of mind, but it would cost a pretty $$ just to ship all this stuff out to him...</TD></TR></TABLE>

check out UPS.com or fedex.com and get a price quote from your zip to his. When I shipped my B18C down to him with all the internals minus sensors, water pipe, alternator and brackets the box weighed 140lbs. Pretty much everything on the outside that was bolted down was removed, so your package should weight around 120-140lbs depending on how you package it.

EDIT: IIRC shipping cost for me from Sacramento to his shop was about $100.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

whats his zip code

Also does anyone know were jeff evans write up is or have a link
Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (hinds90)

Laskey Racing http://www.laskeyracing.com/
2860 E. Gretta Ln Unit H
Anaheim, CA 92806

evans tuning GSR buildup thread

http://forums.evans-tuning.com...build
Old 01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://forums.evans-tuning.com...build</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow. dont think i trust myself to do all that
Old 01-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I say that you should do it yourself. If you have an extra car and dont have to worry about this one youre building and if you have your own garage and tools, it would be a good thing to learn how to do this ****, might take longer since its the first time but sure as hell will be rewarding when you get it all done by yourself. Make sure you have a helms/chiltons honda manual, and you should be set.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITSME4G63)

i'd say research and give it a shot. that evans tuning article is gold. theres some other good sources on here too

Over two years ago, i did my first oil change and stripped the bolt. couldn't even do that right. After a lot of wrenching on little projects, i bent a connecting rod (water thru the CAI). Long story short, I rebuilt it all myself. My gsr passed 500 miles on the motor yesterday. its quite a satisfying feeling driving something that YOU built
Old 01-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ Gurgla GSR)

that article really is great, i just printed up the whole thing(90+ pages) lol
Old 01-08-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: (urbansi)

yeah, its great to build a motor yourself and i highly encourage that, but then on the flip side the tools to properly build a motor costs juss as much if not more than what it takes to ship and get a reputable engine builder to assemble your motor. Just for basic measuring tools it would cost around 4-5 hundred and a couple more hundred for more details tools sure as rod stretch guages.

you could however slap the motor together without fully blueprinting the motor, but that would leave the uncertanty of if the motor is within spec. If it isn't the motor could have permature wear and tear.